Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hehe, Danno you cheeky monkey, less of that on the "other" board ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Temp got well above 10C. Fell to 2.2C at 1830h, but have been rising since under the cloud that moved in off the sea. Currently 5.4C

If cloud shifts, it'll plummet again.

It's been raining in Arklow town steady for the last 2 hours-there could have been one or 2 mms there.
    Certainly a lot of puddles but here 2 miles inland the ground is just barely wet.
    The AWS hasnt registered any but it has rained
    A rogue irish sea shower?
    As a result the temp here is a balmy 7.6c compared to last nights near zero at this time.

No rain here, but I did notice it on the radar, and the clouds were over the sea all day.
    Temp still rising, now 6.7C

Longfield wrote:
    Interesting the comments about Baltinglas, was speaking to a colleague in work today that lives about 20 miles from there and he said it always seems to be much colder there in winter.
    Looking on a map, its not overly high up, but is in the foothills of the Wicklow mountains so i assume does get prone to Katabatic type winds in winter, or, perhaps the soil is sandy like Redhill in England that often gets the lowest UK temps?
    Any Wicklow people (or others) got theories for the Baltinglas cold spot ?
    It's got a couple of things going for it.
    It's well inland but still in the East.
    It's adjacent to very high ground.

So basically the weather on the high ground beside it often transfers to the lower ground in the valley around Baltinglass.
    During our snow watch last february they had several inches and iirc it stuck around for a week or more.
    Great place to live by the way and it has broadband.

Bally cogue about 4 miles from me as the crow flies is another example.
    It's a bit higher than Baltinglass at maybe 600ft but the ground adjacent to it runs to 1500ft on the public road less than a mile from it.
    This morning around 8am for example,I'm told by a local that the temp there was just 1c at 9am when it was closer to 4c here.
    They at that stage were under the same cloud blanket as I was here but the frost there had been that much more severe(probably maybe -3c or lower going on what it was here) that the cloud and temp rise wasnt as significant.
    1c under cloud wouldnt have shifted the frost anyway.

Temp on the rise here at the moment

Now 7.8c and cloudy

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    No rain here, but I did notice it on the radar, and the clouds were over the sea all day.
    Temp still rising, now 6.7C
    Yeah I noticed them as I was driving up this morning.
    The difference between the town and here in what rain fell is remarkable in just 2 miles.
    Glad it didnt fall here though with how the land had dried up lately.
    I was annoyed when I saw it in town because the fact that it just sat there raining lightly for two hours made it look like a wet night and that means more work for me out here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the frost has melted outside... both bbc and sky said Ireland would be much milder tonight with temps between 3c in most of Ireland and 10c in the far south west tonight.

Gonzo wrote:
    and 10c in the far south west tonight.

And 9C in the east, as that is what the temp got above to by midnight. Fell back to 8C for rest of night, with a light shower as well.

A Dull and Dank morning after last nights rain

9c with an ese breeze

Still very dull 9C

Further to cold temps yesterday morn,

The -4.2C at Casement Aerodrome on the morning of the 17th is the lowest Nov temp at the station since 1995 and lowest among the irish synoptic stations in Nov since 1999.

On same morn Mullingar (-2.9C) had lowest Nov temp since 1999 and Dublin Airport (-2.4C) since 1998.

• Advertisement

The record equalling Nov(since 1999) low of -1.8C a couple nights back has been broken, with an unofficial -2.3C. )I expect official temp to be within 0.1C)

Grass temp down to -7C

Mostly clear out with a little cloud visible to my SW

no sub zero here again last night.
    It was too cloudy.

currently 2.8c

As per the last few days...

Beautifull blue sunny skies today

no sub zero here last night but a hard frost followed by a rapid temperature rise.

Its just nudging 11c now

Balmy :D with no wind (if only we could get days like this at the height of the summer)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very cold and sunny with frost still in sheltered parts of garden

* 3.05pm, frost has started again already, ice forming on top of car again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not so balmy in Galway at least not on the west of the city near the river.
    The past two days have seen thick fog lasting all day with the temperature only getting a few degrees above 0.
    Twice a day ice scraping duty for the car windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.met.ie/recentweather/
    knock airport already at 1 degree. guess this is going to be the coldest. even colder than the previous two nights?

Was worried with the continuing raise in humidity levels that would be some really really slippy roads tomorrow morning, but thankfully has clouded over a bit here so frost isnt likely while that lasts.

The main event is in a couple of days time so the frost can sod off for a bit..am bored freezing the bejaysus outta myself scraping the glass clear of ice in the mornings.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

the frost settled here all day and it started freezzing again hard after 3pm but not its cloudy and its all melted.

extremely foggy here in the city all night, and extremely cold.

i notice from met.ie that many stations have hit 0 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

VERY foggy here, less than 10m visibility and -0.7c.

• Advertisement

fog.jpg
    davis street limerick, the railway station is in the centre, this "should" illustrate how foggy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Athlone covered by fog all day. Couldn't even see all the arches of the bridge over the Shannon.

Wow what a difference a day makes

The max here today was only 6.3 c compared with 11c yesterday!

And today is just as sunny

It's going to make friday all the more interesting.

we had no frost last night but today is very cold, about 5c.

met eireann have updated their snow warning but its unlikely we'll see much if anything on the east coast and in Dublin

Severe Weather Warning for Snow
    Frequent snow showers are likely to give accumulations of between 3 and 8 cm below 250 metres during the period 1200 hours Thursday to 2400 hours Friday in counties Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and parts of Cavan. Strong to gale force Northerly winds will occur during the same period, giving blizzard conditions at times and causing some drifting.

It's impossible to know what will happen-just keep an eye on the radar on the day.
    Remember a lot of precipitation running down the Irish sea might clip Dublin/meath.
    It depends on how fat the area is as it slides down :p

(keep these posts to the other thread btw)

Temp now down to 5.5c and dropping though sunny

1800h
    8.2C and rising. Max of day.

In fact 3C rise in 30 minutes

What!!! ???

Down here its 1.4c though rising now
    The min for the day was reached 15 mins ago at 1.2c

9.6C, levelled off

Incredible the difference.

I don't know what has happened...

Temp inversions might be accounting for such conditions.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    9.6C, levelled off

Incredible the difference.

I don't know what has happened...

Theres a large bank of cloud moving in from the North now.
    I can see it through the lights of the town.
    It's covering the clear sky at a rapid pace.
    Temp 2.1c now

That is still an incredible difference

2.2 since I started typing this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement