Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Xp Pro to Win2k with cross over cable?

Options
  • 28-12-2004 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just wanna link to machines up to swap some files over and share net for time being we only have a cross over cable.

Can anyone tell me what exactly I have to do to get the machines to see each oter? I've set IP's and subnets etc. but still nothing.

I'm sure I'm missing something... anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The safest way is to setup an ftp server and configure the firewall to let the other pc see it.

Search the threads on this and the windows and computers forum - have a look at the stickies too. CBA to troubleshoot peer to peer windows anymore since they keep changing the settings / defaults / firewalls - they also change the protocols...

eg:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/23/microsoft_eu_appeal_analysis/
    The Judge even felt it necessary to record a claim by the Free Software Foundation of Europe that found "… a number of incompatibilities deliberately introduced in pre-existing protocols and then altering them with the aim of prohibiting interoperability."

Ok then - lights ? - Pings ? - firewalls ?
    come back NETBEUI - all is forgiven...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Is it a broadbanb connection or dial-up?

If Broadband
    you need a hub or switch (peats maplins €50ish)
    you plug ur cable from the router into the hub and ur two PC into that
    most routers act as dhcp servers so you don't need static entries in the ipconfig
    Then you setup a file share on either machine and then map to it from the other
    eg open ekplorer and type in \\ip of machine with share on it\share name. like \\10.10.10.1\share

If its dialup
    You could link both computers with ur crossover cable and use internet connection sharing to share the connection on the pc with the connection.
    The file sharing would be the same as above but you would need to enter static ip's

Dec

Advertisement