Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So slow....

• 28-12-2004 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I have recently installed eircom broadband using the Netopia 3547W router with 802.11b thingamajig. I was however having problems connecting to WinMx and solved this by using Limewire instead.

However with all my messing around I think I changed some of the settings. The result is that Internet Explorer takes ages to find websites ( approx 10 seconds ). However once if does it appears to be quick within the site. Having no problems with download speeds either. Someone suggested that it may be the DNS settings. These are 159.134.237.6 and 159.134.248.17. I'm not so sure. Any other ideas?

IPCONFIG reads something like this
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : eircom
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::202:78ff:fee7:be9
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : eircom
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1%
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

tried pinging a few servers to see what your speed is like?

Download and install firefox

And try that to browse-after a few go's you will dump IE and never look back.

It should instantly cure your speed problem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

Thanks Pickarooney. I can tell you they are slow. Pinging servers? I'm not quite up to that chapter yet but am well past "This is how you turn on a pc".

Thanks Eathman. Have tried mozilla firefox. No difference. Nice though. I'll give it a bash for a while.

I think I have tweaked a setting i.e. one of those you can change when you go into properties (in network connections) and this is what is slowing me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

have you tried restoring back to defaults?
    and whats it like not using the wireless connection?

Cheers,

Restore defaults. How would one do that? Might be worth a shot.
    No choice but to go wireless. Phone and PC are on different floors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Most likely DNS. For some reason your ipconfig spits out hex numbers, so it's a little difficult to see what your configuration is. Have you tried setting the DNS stuff in Windows instead of just the router? That usually fixes it.

Tried that before. Eircoms booklet advises setting up DNS to automatically detect the settings which I did. Have disenabled tcp/ip adapters ( seems to have speeded things up somewhat ) though not perfect. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It sounds like you setup Windows to detect them automatically? Sorry if I've misunderstood you, but what I'm suggesting is that you type in the IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS in the network settings in Control Panel. Otherwise your PC will use the router for DNS and that doesn't work all the time for some reason.

Do you know what the ideal DNS settings are for Eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Those hex numbers are an IPv6 address, this may have something to do with your slow access to sites - it is probably trying to access them by IPv6 first and then switching over to IPv4 after a timeout or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moorsie wrote:
    Do you know what the ideal DNS settings are for Eircom?

You can get all the Eircom settings here
    The dns settings are:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:
    Restore defaults. How would one do that? Might be worth a shot.

There is usually a small pinhole type thing at the back of the router - use a paper clip to push it in for a few seconds and Bingo you are back to the basic settings. The handbook for the router should have the full details.

Thats good, will get cracking on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Make sure you remember the default IP address and username/password for the router - assuming you've changed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

or you could use Indigo Dns, which I use

also, dump the Dns cache by typing into msdos prompt, 'ipconfig/flushdns'

Advertisement