Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foot & Mouth confirmed in Louth !!!

• 22-03-2001 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Bugger !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So what does this mean to Ireland? Can someone spell it out in a few sentances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭[SKT]Raven

Essentially what it means is if it spreads we are all in a spot of bother as in turn farming is one of the main industies if that suffers theres a nice knock on effect that will effect other farm related businesses, farm building suppliers, feed suppliers, meat factories etc.In turn means less meat wheich means higher prices in poultry etc.Lets all just pray that it doesnt spread over the country and pray is al we can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

In my opinion I think that the farming methods in this country are going to change dramatically so we wont see another outbreak like this ever again.

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

the restrictions were bad b4 just imagine how they'll be now! eek.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

what this means is a complete collapse of the irish economy if this spreads as agriculture equates to roughly a third of irelands GNP. the knock on effect of this is a unholy reccession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

FFS!

Well I'm going to point the finger and blame the brits. What the **** have they been doing since this started. They don't care that they have well they could at least do somthing to stop others getting it. A totaly relaxed attitude to the whole thing and now the ecomies of so many europian countries are going to suffer. It's up to the EU to somthing about them. Threaten to make them pay damages and watch how quick they move to clear it up.

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [SN]JAG:
    what this means is a complete collapse of the irish economy if this spreads as agriculture equates to roughly a third of irelands GNP. the knock on effect of this is a unholy reccession.</font>

Agriculture accounts for a heck of a lot more than 1/3 of the GNP, you know...

This affects us all now.

Online.ie have quite a comprehensive Foot&Mouth site... including the following:

How it spread:
    http://www.online.ie/news/fmd/viewer.adp?article=371093

What events and fixtures have been cancelled:
    http://www.online.ie/news/fmd/index.adp?article=422153

Foot&Mouth discussion forum:
    http://www.online.ie/discuss/topic.adp?d=221402&t=221403

All can be found under their main FMD web site at:
    http://www.online.ie/fmd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

any chance schools will be closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adnans:
    In my opinion I think that the farming methods in this country are going to change dramatically so we wont see another outbreak like this ever again.

adnans
    </font>

erm the outbreak didn't start here so methods of agriculture won't change wot will change is the tagging of sheep to prevent smuggling.

Wots this means for the economy has already started today drop in the stock markets and ban on irish agri exports worth about 10% of gdp.

The only good news about this case on the border is that it happened within an exclusion zone plus the case was 4 miles for the case across the border which had and 8 miles exclusion zone around it. So hopefully this will be contained and tomorrow if we get regionalisation from the EU the country can trade its food produce which is 90%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Where can you get actual official figures for last years GNP?

Cause I read on the examiner (and this looked ridiculous and I want to look it up) that the GNP for direct agriculture in Ireland was 4.9% !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Jag was right when he said it is 1/3 of our GNP. He was also right when he said this will probably lead in to a recession helped by the plummeting share prices around the world. At least we can go poor with a lot of other countries, e.g America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭[SKT]Raven

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The FANJ:
    FFS!

Well I'm going to point the finger and blame the brits. What the **** have they been doing since this started. They don't care that they have well they could at least do somthing to stop others getting it. A totaly relaxed attitude to the whole thing and now the ecomies of so many europian countries are going to suffer. It's up to the EU to somthing about them. Threaten to make them pay damages and watch how quick they move to clear it up.

</font>

I agree totally withthat post saved me typing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I believe it all comes down to money and greed frown.gif

In order to make more profits the farmers wherever they are have been cutting corners etc. in order to gain a higher income.

It started with salmonella, then listeria, then mad cows then this epidemic.

The thing that really annoys me is peoples general complacency about such trivial issues. mad.gif

Anyone wanna make guesses as to what is gonna come next because there will be something else, just like any other diseases, human or otherwise frown.gif

[This message has been edited by tactical anni (edited 22-03-2001).]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    any chance schools will be closed?</font>

yes the primary schools were closed down in some countryside areas
    chancees are they will be closed even more now

and btw it is those dam cheap bastad brits
    they brought out the BSE sh|te too >:

I did some investigation and it turns out that article was right.

You dont believe the Examiner?
    Ok I did some more researce. Here are a few more quoted sources:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    US STATE DEPARTMENT STATISTICS OFFICE

Economy
    GNP at market prices (2000): $81.97 billion (estimate).
    Annual growth rate (2000): 7.0% (estimate).
    Per capita income: $21,887 (estimate).
    Natural resources: Zinc, lead, natural gas, barite, copper, gypsum, limestone, dolomite, peat.
    Agriculture (8% of GNP): Products--cattle, meat, and dairy products; potatoes; barley; sugarbeets; hay; silage; wheat.
    Industry (43% of GNP): Types--food processing, beverages, engineering, computer equipment, textiles and clothing, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, construction.
    </font>
    BRITANNICA.COM

Agriculture employs about one-eighth of the work force and accounts for approximately one-tenth of the GNP.
    Mining, manufacturing, construction, and public utilities together account for more than one-third of the GNP

Tourism is the largest item in the country's net invisible earnings.
    </font>

European Union Statistics (1994)

Republic Of Ireland

Employment by Sectors (%)

Agriculture 13.1
    Industry 27.1
    Services 59.7
    </font>
    Admitadly this last one is a few years old, but the figures for farming could only have gone down since then (this is just the numbers employed in the last one)

All in all, it seems people are incredibly mis-informed and the government and farmers obviously like it that way.

So now that things are in perspective, we are not looking at a fúcking recession because of footh and mouth.
    The biggest toll is to tourism.

Worst to worst scenario is we lose our 'White Label' (along with the entire EU) and along with it about 10% or our farming, which is about 1% of our entire econemy, which is a drastic difference to the 5% loss due to loss of tourism because of footh and mouth.

And that only the "WORST" scenario. I hope that doesnt happen, because I live in a rural area, and Id hate to have that loss to farming.
    Im just saying its not going to be the end of the world people.

Kind of surprising statistics eh?
    More like Foot IN Mouth disease.

Just to clarify.
    The Examiner puts Irelands Argriculture at approx 5% of our GNP according to this years figures.

These other sources only have estimates, and say approximately 8-10%.
    Since this figure has dropped a lot in recent years, I can only assume the Examiner was perfectly correct as the usually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tactical anni:
    In order to make more profits the farmers wherever they are have been cutting corners etc. in order to gain a higher income.

B]</font>

hmmm how stupid are you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wouldnt have happened had northern ireland properly restricted traffic flow to and from the uk mainland.

Case confirmed in County Louth
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0322/fmd.html

EU to impose same restrictions on Ireland as it has done on Britain, the Netherlands and France.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0322/fmdreacts.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

frown.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

if America stopps buy it off us we will go down very ow frown.gif
    as Chinca has stopped buying off us now frown.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement