Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Life 2 Registration

Options
  • 28-12-2004 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

This guy came into my shop. He got Half life 2 for Christmas, and is having a problem registering. And is only able to play the game on line. Once he dissconnects (say in game) The game refuses to play on. So he's only able to play whilst online ????

anyone know what the deal is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

Yeh , u gotta connect online first. When u are online right-click on the steam icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and go to monitor. It will show that the game is 99% downloaded so u got to let it download to 100% before you can play offline. It shouldnt take too long (took around 1 hour on 56k for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Steam is a real pain in the arse. You can play the game offline, but you can't have an active internet connection when you start it up in order play in offline mode. I know people who had problems with this because they were behind firewalls. There was an active internet connection so it wouldn't go into offline mode, but it also couldn't connect to steam so it wouldn't let them play. Any decent piece of netowk software would have timed-out and gone into offline mode, but unfortunately not in this case. They had to disconnect network cables and disable their wireless before it would let them play. The next time I buy a game from Valve I'll be waiting an extra week until the crack comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

anyone know what the deal is?

The deal is (without having to resort to plugging out your ethernet/phoneline) is yes, it can only be played with an active internet connection. That means always, even in single player, even every time you want to play. There are ways to fool it.

I was looking forward to HL2 but actually I haven't bought it for the reason of the online authentication thing. I suppose there was almost a pressure to get HL2 back in November, TBH I am not missing it. When/if a crack for it to be played properly I'll buy it.

Have a look at steampowered.com's forums - one hours read through the Steam section put me off for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

When/if a crack for it to be played properly I'll buy it.

Have a look at steampowered.com's forums - one hours read through the Steam section put me off for good.

The crack for playing it offline without the need to register came out a couple months ago bar a few glitchs everything worked fine. Had to make do with it until i finally got round to registering online but worked while it had to.

Advertisement