Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Protests

• 23-03-2001 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

We when on protest today we got a hell of alot of support from passing cars n stuff.

Anyone else involved in any .... how'd it go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Today?!?
    But there was school today!!
    WTF is the point in being completely hypocritical? Kinda defeats the whole point of the protest imo.
    Protest on the Teacher strike days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

My school walked out at 9:40am, after first class. 15 Leaving cert students refused to do so, including myself. I'm a traitor blah blah blah blah.

To get to the basic point, there's about 30 teaching days left until the Leaving Cert examinations start. Walking out on a day when we HAVE teachers and classes is absolutely counter productive and totally idiotic.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't agree with the teachers strikes.. I am very angry and worried.
    Last Wednesday - on a day when there were NO classes and the teachers were on strike, I went to the protest outside the Dail and the ASTI building.

That was, I believe, the right thing to do. If anyone wanted to protest, they should have protested then - on a day when no classes were available, NOT on a day when we have classes.
    Shouting "We want education" outside of a school where the teachers are sitting inside waiting to teach is extremely foolish.

The ironic thing is that most of the kids who are protesting are either a.) not doing exams this year and not really affected by the strike action, or b.) kids who don't come to school half the time and don't give a **** anyway.
    And as for the 12 absolute gobs*^*^% who were arrested.. well I'm not going to even go there.

The bottom line is that (according to the news earlier) the Leaving Cert exams are in 75 days time.
    Whether you like the teachers or not, protesting when they WILL teach is stupid, to put it bluntly.
    And, apart from the fact that it tars us all with the same brush and gives us all a bad name, it hasn't helped matters. Next time, people should think before they take the easy way out and get off a few classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭[SKT]Raven

Muwhahah i have it all over me lol!

anyway that aside i was walking through the center of galway today loads of ye students out givin it all and so forth i couldnt resist shoutin a few choice comments and what ya know a mini riot lol i ran too lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by androphobic:
    Walking out on a day when we HAVE teachers and classes is absolutely counter productive and totally idiotic.
    </font>
    The vast majority of the students weren't protesting, just cashing in on an opportunity to go a bit insane around town with all their pals.
    Paladin - you're right, it is hypocritical for those who are actually protesting. Especially what they did in St.Angelas - the people who didn't go to City Hall turned their desks away from the teachers during class. I'm surprised at that, because most of these are the girls who were protesting alongside the teachers last Wednesday... I think they're just frustrated and/or confused.
    I stayed home today because I didn't have my homework done... I didn't anticipate all the disruption. I'll admit, if I had gone to school, I would have liked to head down-town for the laugh - something like this doesn't happen very often where hundreds of students from all the city schools are out at once.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Illkillya:
    The vast majority of the students weren't protesting, just cashing in on an opportunity to go a bit insane around town with all their pals.
    </font>

uhhhhh that was my point.. it was a waste of time. i dunno if you're doing your leaving this year or not.. but if you are then surely you realise how hypocritical and stupid walking out on a non-strike day is.

• Advertisement

Its probabably right tho.
    Id imagine many are angry too, but its mis-used aggression imo.

Teachers are still wrong to use students as bargaining chip imo, and any student protests during teacher strike days I would support.

Also, did anyone else notice the irony of someone called 'Androphobic' posting on a male dominated bulletin board? smile.gif

Tee hee hee BOO! ROAR!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    Id imagine many are angry too, but its mis-used aggression imo.

Teachers are still wrong to use students as bargaining chip imo.
    </font>

smile.gif angry really doesn't even begin to describe it.. it's total outrage tbh.
    like.. ahh i dunno.. just the morale is low, respect and trust is gone, everyone feels so abandoned (but i still maintain that walking out is not the way to go smile.gif).

yea teachers are really wrong. tbh i dont think that half of them are happy with the strikes.. the ASTI need to reballot its members.
    if they do this and the majority of the teachers vote for strike action, this would somehow be easier to accept.. sure the feelings of betrayal and resentment would still be there but it's damn frustrating to think that your exams are in jeopardy and that the people who are jeopardising them may not even want to be doing so.. (if you know what i mean smile.gif).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    Also, did anyone else notice the irony of someone called 'Androphobic' posting on a male dominated bulletin board? smile.gif

Tee hee hee BOO! ROAR!
    </font>

hehehehhe p.s. the nick itself is quite ironic too wink.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

should that not be androphobia ???

Coyote

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coyote:
    should that not be androphobia ???

Coyote
    </font>

well that's the condition.. so a person would be androphobic or an androphobiac i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I love reading Ireland.com in the mornings to see what latest ignorant adolescent whinging the protesting students have come up with to justify their actions. Occasionally you get the odd intelligent remark, but there are some true gems of childish bleeting in there that even online gamers can't match.

I particularly liked some cow from Kilkenny (I think) announcing that this "proves that the teachers don't care about us at all, and they're only in it for the money" - no, young lady, oddly enough teacing is NOT a charity profession, and if they were just in it for the money they would have quit and gone off to use their hard-earned qualifications elsewhere, for a lot MORE money...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    I love reading Ireland.com in the mornings to see what latest ignorant adolescent whinging the protesting students have come up with to justify their actions. Occasionally you get the odd intelligent remark, but there are some true gems of childish bleeting in there that even online gamers can't match.

</font>

Everything's a matter of opinion I guess. Of course there are people who are bound to say things like "the teachers don't care about us" but then again, as you sort of said, there are those who can look at the whole issue in a more rational way.

However. While very few people in this country seem to begrudge the teachers some extra money, - I personally have some excellent teachers who deserve much more than what they currently get - very few can condone the strike action really.
    In fact teachers themselves are condemning it every day on the same Irish times letters page.

I don't know when you did your Leaving Cert but maybe if you could think back to when that was and then
    minus the teachers for 1 day here and 2 days here and 3 days here,
    and add the controversial comments like "the leaving cert of 2001 will have less integrity" than previous years
    and on top of that add the indefinite postponement of the oral and practical exams - which are a milestone which we still havent passed -
    and on top of that once more add the uncertainty of the whole situation for thosestudents who really care about their exams and who need top points to get into university, and for students who just want to get their Leaving Cert qualification and are lucky to have made it this far, and for all the students inbetween these two extremes..

It's not a good year to do your LC.. of course who can define a good year, but I really think that people should take this into account when giving out about the students.
    *Of course* violent protests are wrong and walking out when teaching is available is wrong.. I don't condone that for one minute but surely if the teachers have the right to feel aggrieved at their level of pay, the students have the right to feel aggrieved at being used in this dispute.

At the end of the day.. when the teachers have their money and the Government has its PPF, the students will be the ones who have suffered.
    Who will take responsibility next August when people are five points short of the course of their dreams etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

androphobic:

firstly I agree fully that the behaviour and antics by the students during their strike was deplorable and hardly a mature move. Those who partook, and especially those who acted the gobsh!te, were no more interested in the politics surrounding the whole scandal than [insert some bull**** analogy here bitte]

But that said, what really gets me is how self-righteous students like (i dunno ... yourself? smile.gif)are even put-off by this whole strike. Surely if you've such an interest in Education you possess a certain level of intelligence, and if you DO possess this level of intelligence why the f[ck would you waste yar time partaking in a ridiculas strike? I understand those who did it for a bit of craic or banter, but those seriously perturbed students who are fretting over the strike? What is that? Surely your time would be better spent furthering your ediucation by studying, or doing something productive with your time.

Also, you shouldn't be upset about the strike. If you're a fleissig student, wishing to do exceptional in the auld LC;
    Firstly - you're probably more intelligent and better able to educate yourself than a high-percentage of *teachers*.
    Secondly - the LC is as easy as pie, study 2 weeks b4hand

But the balls of my point is the following - The CAO points system is a competition with other students. All of these students(except a few stuck-up privately educated dims) are suffering the same as you. Your results in this 'competition' are relative to the performace of those you're competing against. If you really want to perform, do the best you can with what you know. If you are willing to waste time at a strike you obviously are concerned about your results. But don't be! Take advantage of the fact that a whole bunch of the people you're competing with for places at college are wasting their time and getting all flustered about a few days missed at school - days that are likely better served.

I don't agree with the teachers strike - but for people like you, it makes me sick (laugh?) to see you take the thing so seriously. If it was to go on and actually ruin the LC (very unlikely), fair enough, but as it is - enjoy it. smile.gif

If you CARE, study, don't cry.
    If there's grass on the field, play on it wink.gif ... uhh I mean it's a level playing field.

ps. I had to listen to a bunch of ridiculus gurls after some large student strike in the city the other day, and oh my, was it funny, but then by the quality of their conversation, they really do need to be educated.

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 25-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    But the balls of my point is the following - The CAO points system is a competition with other students. All of these students(except a few stuck-up privately educated dims) are suffering the same as you.
    </font>

All privately educated people are stuck-up? More then likely its you that is stuck-up for having that attitude.

Hmmm as for privately educated people being "dims", in my school most people are there because they couldn't be bothered to work, but miracuously on moving to a schools they started to work.

You should hush up and not make comments like you have done above, when your obviously talking through your **** .

Also i doubt you'd have the outlook on things if you were doing your leaving cert this year.

Ste is right in that at the end of the day, at this stage of the LC you really should be able to educate yourself.
    If you cant then college will be very very hard smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 25-03-2001).]

Ah I am sorry I came across as a bit harsh on those privately educated lads, I actually know a few myself, and am mates with quite a few others, I was indeed wrong for saying that. Sorry. (It was more an effort to establish the fact that it's only a FEW people who are getting a fulltime education this year)

But further to your response ...

How may I ask, am I speaking through my hole?

Other than the fact that I was perhaps a bit harsh on those who are privately educated (more in jest than in sincerity - considering I'm good mates with a few who are) how is it that you can't see the point of my above comments?

Perhaps instead of reproaching me for what anybody could point out as being wrong (clap clap), you should actually tackle my comments (the purpose of my writing) with reason ...

And as for me not having this outlook if I were doing the LC this year ... I find it hard to imagine how someone who doesn't even know me can understand how I think and how I view things. Surely I'm in a better position to state my OWN outlook on things rather than yourself. The fact is I would have been over the moon to miss all that school ...

And about whatshername striking:

<<< She said ....
    Don't get me wrong.. I don't agree with the teachers strikes.. I am very angry and worried.
    Last Wednesday - on a day when there were NO classes and the teachers were on strike, I went to the protest outside the Dail and the ASTI building. >>>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molly:

Also i doubt you'd have the outlook on things if you were doing your leaving cert this year. [/B]</font>

I agree.
    Also.. suggesting people educated in a private school are all "dim" suggests a certain lack of educated thinking on your own behalf.

Oh jeeeeees!

Must I repeat my apology?
    And I've already told you that I'd be HAPPY if I had gotten those extra days off school! (I dare not lie)

smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ste:
    I was indeed wrong for saying that. Sorry. (It was more an effort to establish the fact that it's only a FEW people who are getting a fulltime education this year)

</font>

Ahh.. didn't see this until after I had posted.
    Anyway.. I should go study.. even if we still have 10 weeks wink.gif

• Advertisement

Oh jeeeeees!

Must I repeat my apology?

smile.gif
    </font>

sorry.. sorry wink.gif

ah mercy smile.gif

Only 10 weeks!!! Gawd, oh mummy help!

wink.gif

g'luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

OMG ste! a voice of pure reason at last, this is what i have always been saying. Nothing you said was speaking out ure hole.
    firstly I agree fully that the behaviour and antics by the students during their strike was deplorable and hardly a mature move. Those who partook, and especially those who acted the gobsh!te, were no more interested in the politics surrounding the whole scandal than [insert some bull**** analogy here bitte]</font>
    thats what i was saying above, no dispute there so far by anyone
    Also, you shouldn't be upset about the strike. If you're a fleissig student, wishing to do exceptional in the auld LC;
    Firstly - you're probably more intelligent and better able to educate yourself than a high-percentage of *teachers*.
    </font>
    Exactly - teachers can only cover the course. Unless you have a really good teacher (who will have you sorted anyway so that the strike doesn't effect u), any questions u can ask him that are relevent to the LC can be answered in a text book. Once the teacher has the course covered, the rest is up to you. A lot of the people who are fretting are the very ppl who spend so much time studying at home that they don't rely on their teachers at all.
    Secondly - the LC is as easy as pie, study 2 weeks b4hand
    </font>
    thats my philosophy... i hope it works smile.gif

But the balls of my point is the following - The CAO points system is a competition with other students. All of these students(except a few stuck-up privately educated dims) are suffering the same as you. Your results in this 'competition' are relative to the performace of those you're competing against. If you really want to perform, do the best you can with what you know. If you are willing to waste time at a strike you obviously are concerned about your results. But don't be!
    </font>
    Exactly!! i am practically repeating a post i made on After Hours ages ago, but since a certain percentage of the population will get A's anyway, if you fit in that category, the government will make sure that even if the standard of the exams fall, they will adjust the marking schemes to ensure that you will get yar A. In fact, if anything, there will be a larger percentage doing well, because the government will be more focused this year than any other in ensuring that results are good, otherwise people will blame the strike and the government for the bad results.
    Take advantage of the fact that a whole bunch of the people you're competing with for places at college are wasting their time and getting all flustered about a few days missed at school - days that are likely better served.
    </font>
    Yes! Take advantage of the fact that a load of students are freaking out. The strike can only affect u if u let it (even if u do let it, i can't see how it would affect u to a great extent...) Disruption is good if you are organised and on the ball. Enjoy your days off, and don't be worrying about missing school because u wouldn't be learning anything there anyway.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't agree with the teachers strike - but for people like you, it makes me sick (laugh?) to see you take the thing so seriously. If it was to go on and actually ruin the LC (very unlikely), fair enough, but as it is - enjoy it. smile.gif</font>
    Ste - you are the man. i was beginning to despair because i thought nobody felt the way i did. A few days off can only be relaxing imo. I think some of the freak-outs are worried that the leaving cert will be ruined. But there is NO WAY that will happen. In the worst case scenario we will be having inexperienced correcters correcting our exams, in which case they will just stick to a marking scheme fairly rigidly, and i don't see how you could be at a huge disadvantage if they were to do that.

I think its very fortunate that this is the year i'm doing my leaving smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I think some of the freak-outs are worried that the leaving cert will be ruined. </font>

"freak-outs" hmm well I won't take that personally wink.gif

I really think you've taken what I said out of context. I mean, in my first post I disagreed with the walkouts, and I'm really glad to see that everyone here also disagrees.

Then I tried to create a picture of how so many students feel so that you could see why so many people *are* walking out and are annoyed.

I still maintain that students have suffered as a result to an extent but this is quite inevitable.
    Of course you can study at home etc etc etc etc but I'm speaking of the actual inconvenience of the whole situation.

I'm not freaking out.. I'm concerned about the lc but certainly not freaked out. It's no harm to have a day off here and there to unwind anyway.. it's the tactics of the teachers that I disagree with and I still maintain that the morale of the lc'ers (in my school anyway) is low because of these tactics.
    Like.. teachers form a huge part of your life.. they are pretty close to your parents in that they're adult figures whom you see almost every day for years and years (14 in my case anyway) and learn to respect and trust and (mostly) like.
    So naturally there's a feeling of disappointment and people feel let down.

And *that* is really all I'm saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement