Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PS2 beat em up/ups

Options
  • 28-12-2004 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I got a PS2 recently and I was just wondering what are the best beat em ups for it so meself and a few mates can have a laugh. I was a huge fan of both Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat when i was younger are their any of these type of games around these days ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

2D
    Street Fighter III (Street fighter anniversay edition (US))
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Snk vs Capcom 2
    Capcom evolution
    Guilty gear X series - (specially Guilty gear X isuka)

3D
    hmmm nothing great out there but
    Virtua Fighter 4 and
    Tekken 4 - worth a check.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bother with tekken 4. Its a terrible fighting game. If your serious about your fighting games get Soul Calibur 2 and Virtua Fighter 4 instead. Also as placebo said get the US version of Street Fighter Anniversary edition. For some stupid reason Capcom left out Street Fighter 3 from the european release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Dragon Ball Z 3 - By far the best beat 'em up. Rent it and see why it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Well seeing as how you like Mortal Kombat, theres the obvious: Mortal Kombat Deception, which is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah the new Mortal Kombat is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Agreed. Deception is excellent. The Chess mode was confusing, but I only spent 5 mins at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

mortal kombat deception looks good ,and dead or alive 2 has got beautiful graphics sexy women and good gameplay and real 3d stages eg jump off cliffs roof in the middle of fights stages with 3level fighting areas,3d backrounds ,loads of combat modes survival story etc.graphics nearly as good as soulcalibur2.

mortal kombat game before this one was **** and so was kombat 4, was such a fan back in the day, had 3 and 3 ultimate , amazing games, trilogy was ok.
    How is deception good ?

dead or alive 2 graphics are not as good as soul caliber 2 ! at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Can't go wrong with Soul Calibur II.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dead or alive 2 has got beautiful graphics sexy women and good gameplay

It has everything you mentioned except the good gameplay. Its fun for a few hours until you realise its as shallow as a paddling pool and is nothing more than a button basher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I think Virtua Fighter 4 evolution is the latest VF on PS2. The VF series kicks several technical shades out of most other beat 'em ups, though I haven't played the new MK yet and I enjoyed the last one on a slightly less cerebral level :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I'd stay away from Dead Or Alive, utter muck. If you want 3D I'd reccomend Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution and Soul Calibur 2 (although isn't the PS2 version the one with Spawn :( ). As for 2D Capcom vs SNK 2 is definitely the best one around at the moment. If perhaps you happen to be a hardcore SNK beat 'em up fan then the King of Fighters 2000/2001 double pack which was released in Novemeber might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

on the topic of good fighting games soul calibur 2 is only 11.99 in game at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If you liked street fighter id go for capcom vs snk 2, its the business

I was expecting some kind of fierce battle between the 3d faithfuls and the 2d oldsk00l fanatics (of which I am both) but, aside from placebo, no one has even alluded to a superior genre. You have restored my faith in the human race. Er, almost. One word of advice though. Pick yourself up a decent arcade stick to get some real enjoyment out of your preferred game. Diagonals are a pain on the sony pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 G-Cop

Get king of fighters 2000 / 2001 - 2002 (all good)

Diagonals are a pain on the sony pad

Forgot about this. Definitely get a decent arcade joystick or one of the saturn style street fighter 2 pads from lik sang. Even your basic Ryu fireball is difficult to pull off on the standard Sony game pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Demeant0r wrote:
    Dragon Ball Z 3 - By far the best beat 'em up. Rent it and see why it is.

I agree. The Budokai games get better each year. And number three is immense fun. There are a huge amount of characters and moves to unlock.

And some of the moves are hilariously over the top. You can launch a death move, and the camera cuts to an outer space shot of a gigantic explosion on the planets surface. Oh, and you can also punch people through cliff faces and into the backs of angry dinosaurs...

While the budokai games are getting a lot more fun, those dragon rushes are an unnecessary and protracted addition and the fighting's about as balanced as someone on a tightrope with an x-box pad in one hand <--obscure console humour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Being and old school 2Der it doesnt get much better than Street Fighter Alpha 3. i know its a PS1 game but still sees an awful lot of action on my PS2. i'm sure it can be gotten for peanuts online; a must for any Street Fighter fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I got virtua fighter 4 free with a game I bought in gamestop its class nothing like I was expecting, ive never played the series and was supprised how realistic the fighting was.

Capcom v snk 2 is excellent but mainly because I love the snk games.

The new mortal kombat is great its nice to see them expand the fighting game out of just best of 3 etc, plus the puzzle game is mad addictive.

Defo try to get all three of these, you can get the first two for a tenner second hand usually.

Download this SF3 amazing parry video
    http://media.shoryuken.com/srk-daigo.zip

its 12mb , DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just get it, you wont be dissapointed

i was just playing SF3 with my friend yesterday !
    this parraying is too hard but i downloaded and showed him the vid, he was speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Will do when I get home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

People have been bringing up that video in every beatemup thread for the last 6 months yet I never get tired of it. That's what the genre is all about. The atmosphere of competition. People say "what need is there for arcades now we have powerful consoles?" That's the ****ing reason. It's like hearing a band live instead of on a CD. Totally different experience.

Tekken and Soul Calibur are really hard to play competitively. There's no unified system for how the moves connect so you just have to learn every characters moves by heart.

Virtua Fighter has a nice simple system to it. Low attacks beat high attacks, middle attacks beat low attacks.. these rules apply right across the board for all the characters. No learning off big long defence strings. It isn't very combo heavy either (I've always sucked at the likes of Killer Instance and SF Alpha series) so it's just about using the right move in the right situation.

VF4 Evo doesn't look as dramatic as something like Dead or Alive 3 but it's one hell of a Vs fighter when you get a group of people playing it regularly. Went over to london and played for 6 hours with a group of guys from the ntsc-uk.com board. Best fun I'd had with a videogame in years.

Advertisement