Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh crap

Options
  • 28-12-2004 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

S**t im after downloading just 1 song for my phone and Jamster thats what the companys called is after taking 10 euro at 2 euros intervils every min and this all should have only cost 89 cent!!!!

S**T is there anything i can do? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AND I DIDNT EVEN GET THE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

lesson learned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

happened me aswell ring up ur service operator and they will give u a number

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Know not to order from these rip-off merchants in future. The adverts usually say in small lettering at the bottom that it may take 3 txts at 2 "yoyos" a pop...

Be wary now that they dont have you subscribed to a monthly download!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Ill go blistic if they subscribe me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Im wondering has any else experenced anything like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Is there not about a million threads already warning people not to use these services....

It's your own fault tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=213126&highlight=ring+tone

yeah. bout a year ago i got a tone. just 1. then i received 1 every monday. even if no credit in phone. whenever i topped up with credit the money would be taken out straight away. had to get a new sim card for my phone in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

haha, so you could of put ur old sim in each week and get a new tone on the fone for free, then stick the other sim in for general use again?

Excellent, wouldn't ever order anything of those cúnts tho

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Deaddude wrote:
    S**t im after downloading just 1 song for my phone and Jamster thats what the companys called is after taking 10 euro at 2 euros intervils every min and this all should have only cost 89 cent!!!!

S**T is there anything i can do? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

AND I DIDNT EVEN GET THE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ha ha,, me points and laughs.. how old are you, 12? stop fúckin downloading ringtones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wonder is it possible to tranfer the old MIDI files from vintage games like Terranova and X-Com: Terror From The Deep to a polyphonic phone..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ring up and say the phone belongs to you underage brother. By law jamster can't enter into a contract with a minor and will have to refund the amounts they have taken.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his daughter mobile and explain to them that she was a minor. All the credit they took was refunded to her phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sarky wrote:
    I wonder is it possible to tranfer the old MIDI files from vintage games like Terranova and X-Com: Terror From The Deep to a polyphonic phone..?

Sure, if you have a way of getting the MIDI file from the program files and onto the phone. Cable or infrared or else there's some WAP site where you can upload your files to from your PC then d/l them to your handset.
    All free gratis and for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

clownboy wrote:
    Ring up and say the phone belongs to you underage brother. By law jamster can't enter into a contract with a minor and will have to refund the amounts they have taken.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his daughter mobile and explain to them that she was a minor. All the credit they took was refunded to her phone.

U know thats a good idea assuming it works with the company (which it should given that minors can't sign contracts)

EDIT:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wertz
    Sure, if you have a way of getting the MIDI file from the program files and onto the phone. Cable or infrared or else there's some WAP site where you can upload your files to from your PC then d/l them to your handset.
    All free gratis and for nothing.

Ooooh what site allows u to upload midis and then download em?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

canis edit tbh

and its your own fault for not going and reading all they have to say on the website. its like those ppl who signed up for the daily tips when they were at the galway races .

tbh if its payg ur better off just getting a new simcard . go get a 085 one there free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

off topic

brother likes to get these ringtones but doesnt want to pay. if i was to download a ringtone and then upload it to a website would it be as simple as directing the phones browser to that site to then download it to the handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mossy Monk wrote:
    off topic

brother likes to get these ringtones but doesnt want to pay. if i was to download a ringtone and then upload it to a website would it be as simple as directing the phones browser to that site to then download it to the handset?
    It could be. But it would be illegal.

and anything that is illegal is bad mmmkay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

But if it stops those shagging ads it's certainly morally okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seamus wrote:

didnt think all that applied to ringtones, oh well

remember nothing u do is illegal unless yur caught

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

or if it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Contact comreg...

John

seamus wrote:

Explain to me exactly how that is illegal. We've gone over this before about mp3 truetone thingies being intellectual property etc. but a MIDI is a MIDI; there's many sites out there with them available free as a WAP d/l so how is it if you DIY that it suddenly becomes a no-no? Nonsense IMO but prove me wrong...

BTW Canis, that site is one I found while browsing for WAP accesible sites. At the time the guy was only doing it with images but a file is a file so I'm sure someone out there has the same service for MIDI files. Google seems to be terrible these days for turning up what it is you're actually looking for (unless it's pr0n :D or price comparisons) so try a different search engine and you might have some luck...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wertz wrote:
    Explain to me exactly how that is illegal. We've gone over this before about mp3 truetone thingies being intellectual property etc. but a MIDI is a MIDI; there's many sites out there with them available free as a WAP d/l so how is it if you DIY that it suddenly becomes a no-no? Nonsense IMO but prove me wrong...

Technically, MIDIs are also intellectual property. The main point is that, by virtue of them being woefully sub-par compared to the "real version", hardly anyone cared if you pirated MIDI versions of songs.

Until about 3-4 years ago when customising your phone became popular and methods of transferring files onto your phone became available. Now, while I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of DIY ringtones (do it myself all the time, in fact) any site that facilitates the piracy of ringtones provided by one of these companies is going to be facing the pointy end of a lawsuit. And, given the difficulty involved in proving that the MIDI files concerned are in fact public domain (which doesn't just involve you not having sourced it from one of these companies, but also the original creator having the rights to distribute it freely and you having the right to cascade that distribution), I can't see any site offering the service for free. With guaranteed legal problems and no clear revenue stream, it would have to be a labour of love.

(Personally, I tracked down midi versions of game soundtracks and now bask in the dulcet tones of Super Mario World/Zelda sountrack songs when my phone rings. Wooo.)

On a related note; does anyone know what the legal stance would be if you were obtaining a technically-pirated copy of something which was otherwise unavailable? Say, for example, that there is no legitimate way for me to get the ringtone of Zelda : A Link To The Past on my phone and therefore I track down a transcribed midi version from a website whose author does not have the right from nintendo to distribute this. Is this regarded as theft/copyright violation on the same scale as downloading screeners?

(Back onto the original topic - I don't know about here, but the UK has recently pushed through legislation to force any operator of text services to recognise the word STOP as being a request to end subscriptions - previously many of them had ridiculously fiddly unsubscription rules. Anyone know when/if we're due to get this, or if there's any campaign to ask for it?)

Wertz wrote:
    Well, I'd view it in pretty much the same manner as uploading an mp3 to a site for people to download. These companies do have copyrights, and any ringtones that resemble songs, they do have to pay royalties to the artists.

They're not stupid. If it was this simple, there'd be hundreds of WAP sites well-known, and offering ringtones for free. To say that a midi file is a midi file doesn't negate anything. What's the difference between a composed midi file and a composed song converted into an mp3 file?

Feel free to correct me, it's not something I've explored at length.

Fysh wrote:
    On a related note; does anyone know what the legal stance would be if you were obtaining a technically-pirated copy of something which was otherwise unavailable? Say, for example, that there is no legitimate way for me to get the ringtone of Zelda : A Link To The Past on my phone and therefore I track down a transcribed midi version from a website whose author does not have the right from nintendo to distribute this. Is this regarded as theft/copyright violation on the same scale as downloading screeners?
    I'd also be quite interested to know this one, it's what I was thinking of because;
    We all know that certain artists do take royalties from bands for doing covers of their songs on stage. But what if someone was to do a cover of their song, record it, and then distribute it freely via mp3? The artist isn't losing any money, since it's an (assumedly) inferior, and non-fraudulent copy of their work, and the other artist isn't gaining any money, therefore no theft is taking place.
    Anyone?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MIDI files don't actually contain the sounds, but rather instructions to virtual instruments to how to play them. It's like downloading guitar tabs, but that's probably covered by the same legislation so a moot point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

MIDI files don't actually contain the sounds, but rather instructions to virtual instruments to how to play them. It's like downloading guitar tabs, but that's probably covered by the same legislation so a moot point.

Well, yes, but on the other hand any kind of musical file played on a computer exists in digital form and can therefore be considered to be a set of instructions for a digital player to interpret. The degree to which this is built into the filetype is irrelevant compared to the degree to which it is inherited from the platform.

However, this is interesting because it raises the notion of lyrics/scripts. If I transcribe the lyrics to a song/script to a film and make my transcription available online, am I breaking the law? Under my understanding of it, I am. Which suggests to me that the law does not quite match real circumstances, quite possibly because it has been brought into existence by someone with a less than adequate understanding of the technical issues that are involved.

seamus wrote:
    Well, I'd view it in pretty much the same manner as uploading an mp3 to a site for people to download. These companies do have copyrights, and any ringtones that resemble songs, they do have to pay royalties to the artists.

They're not stupid. If it was this simple, there'd be hundreds of WAP sites well-known, and offering ringtones for free. To say that a midi file is a midi file doesn't negate anything. What's the difference between a composed midi file and a composed song converted into an mp3 file?

Feel free to correct me, it's not something I've explored at length.

The original poster you replied to was as far as I'm aware, only looking to upload/download the tone to his own phone, NOT to provide a publicly accesible site. It's the same old argument about ripping/recording music/movies for personal use only. Distributing it is a different kettle of fish.

Sites offering tones and wallpaper for free are all over the place. They exist alongside pay-per-download services like Jamster and the rest of the tea-leaving b4$tards. The fact that such sites don't charge for the product means they aren't making a (direct) profit from it.
    The legality of how the tones/images get on the sites is open to discussion but since a royalty fee has already been paid to the artist in question, who exactly does this hurt except for the poor sod who gets blagged a tenner for a lousy ringtone...

Man I have to find something better to argue about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I've always wondered why charities dont set up these text love finder things... cheap to start and they'd make a mint....

John

Advertisement