Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new build. Xp Not very stable!

Options
  • 29-12-2004 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I have built a new PC but I'm having problems since I started. Bought most parts of Komplett

Abit AG8-3rd Eye Mainboard for S775
    I915P,SATA,ATX,GbLAN,Dual-DDR,PCI-Ex16

Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz Boxed
    Socket LGA775, 1MB cache

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB
    IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM

Sapphire Radeon X600XT 256MB DDR
    AGP, VIVO/DVI-I

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 2048MB Dual Pack
    Kit w/two matched PC3200 DDR DIMMs

Put it all together in a case with 350w psu

Had a lot of problems installing XP. Wouldn't install because it said that there was a bad system image or something like that. One of my mates suggested I change the graphics card to a lower spec one. Did that and nothing. So then I also took out half the ram. Then Xp install without problems. When the installation was finished I put back in the new graphics card and the rest of the ram. Xp worked fine but its not very stable and crashes a lot.

Medel of Honor Pacific Assault crashes out after 5 mins of play. Splinter cell is the same.

Oddly the system information shows that there are two cpus on my machine? Any Ideas as to what is going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

could be psu is underpowered for that rig.

Could also be a motherboard issue with using 1gig dimm's. I know some boards also have problems with twinmos memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

One of the UT players was having similar problems recently - bombing out of UT after a short while playing. Yesterday he narrowed it down to the OpenGL drivers. Not sure exactly of the fix but I'll ask him for you. I think he went to DirectX instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Oddly the system information shows that there are two cpus on my machine? Any Ideas as to what is going wrong?

That is called hyperthreading !!!!learn about the stuff that you use and have

I would say your psu is causing this - you have a lot of power hungry parts installed - something more like 450-500W have you checked the event viewer yet - if not check it -

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yea the PSU is your problem id reckon. Get a Antec 450W and you're sorted. What brand is your current PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Thanks Guys for all the help. Changed the 350W for a 500W but there was still no difference. Did a memory test and it failed... One of the sticks of ram is buggered. Took it out and xp hasn't crashed since. Going to send it back to komplett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

try swap the sticks. As i said some boards have problems with large dimms (1gig), and others have problem with twinmos. You might be sending back a good stick which your board just happens to have issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

Already did a swap but it's just the same stick giving the problem..

Advertisement