Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fave/Most Hated Players

Options
  • 29-12-2004 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

This might stir a bit of life into these this forum, so who is your favourite and most hated players,

Favourites:

Howard Lederer: Very smart player Amazing to watch
    Sam Farha: Just seen him on 2003 WSOP but that was enough
    Juha Helppi: Extremely aggressive finnish player
    Gus Hansen: Plays terrible cards aggressively and stirs alot of people up at the table

Hate-ourites:

Phil Hellmuth: Complete muppet who belittles other peoples play
    Josh Arieh: Arrogant dick who does the same as above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Tom Murphy: He's crap and he still owes me a box of smokes the cheap muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Tom owes everyone a box of smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

I love Phil Hellmuth! not joking.....wouldn't like to be his mate but he is a masterful player.

As far as hates go, there's this spa called 'golly' who keeps following me around on VC and taking my money. I've never encountered such a lucky, annoying, chancer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If you hate Phil Helmuth then his strategy has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

musician wrote:
    If you hate Phil Helmuth then his strategy has worked.

yeah youre probably right but hes still a cock-monger, i admit hes a good player but hes too brash, you should watch the 2003 WSOP when he and another player (cant remember is name) are arch enemies, slagging the crap out of each other at the table, apparently they had a fist fight the year before after an arguement at the table and phil got his head kicked in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

I find phil hellmuth quite amusing and have yet to see him not wind someone up on his table. There was a tournament I saw where he needed to go to the bathroom and it was the final table of the WSOP a few years back (I think!!). He asked the other players if they would hold on and onw player who he had been winding up refused. Anyway there was a good bit of arguing and the official said that there were no time-outs, so he asked another player to take his allotted time before playing his next hand and the player agreed. He sprinted off to the jacks and then wound up the bloke who had refused him when he got back.

Theres no denying he's a class player. I see he has a set of 4 dvds out on poker strategies, tells, etc. You can get them on ebay for about 70 dollars. Does anyone know what they are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

kevthecelt wrote:
    yeah youre probably right but hes still a cock-monger, i admit hes a good player but hes too brash, you should watch the 2003 WSOP when he and another player (cant remember is name) are arch enemies, slagging the crap out of each other at the table, apparently they had a fist fight the year before after an arguement at the table and phil got his head kicked in :D

Sam Grizzle, that was quality viewing. Id love to kick the crap out of Hellmuth.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Ive heard that his books arent great, i think the general concensus was that 'just because youre a great player doesnt mean you are a great teacher'

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Marq wrote:
    Tom Murphy: He's crap and he still owes me a box of smokes the cheap muppet.
    I'm your favourite player? Aw, Marq, I'm touched!

Fav:
    Devilfish
    Ram Vaswani
    Men The Master

Least:
    Hellmuth, always looks like he's about to cry and whinge for his mommy. Which he often IS.
    Koresh, ignorant cnut by all (first hand) accounts.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gus Hanson, the best poker player I've ever seen in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deeferdog

Andy Black.... the buddist. outstanding player

far and away the player i've learnt most from simply by watching.

all you need to learn from him in poker is.... is there any size bet here which iwll win me the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Fave: Helmuth and Karesh because of the way they wind people up
    Add Norman and Hussein to that list in the Fitz, Hussein going up to Jabba and saying "tonight I kill you" was classic

Least: Men the Master because hes a cheat
    Tom Murphy because hes crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Players who win by trying to put others on tilt with verbal abuse and insults will always be second rate. There are half a dozen regular players who achieve good money results by attacking mediocre players and getting them to call into them but against top players like Joe or Andy Black they just prove themselves to be losers.
    If you're sitting down at a poker table hoping to win money by making people ur enemy and hoping to undermine them then no matter how good u think u are, you are a born loser who doesn't know the beauty of real poker and of life itself.
    The reason I feel strongly about this is because I've seen these half dozen attack new players and players lacking in confidence again and again. These new players ought to be encouraged, not mocked for a few chips. In fairness, if Luke catches them he will speak to them.
    I can assure you of one thing, it will never go unpunished at any table I sit at again, whether the abuse is directed at me or not. The personal comments I could make against any of these losers would destroy their game for good but I have resisted doing so till now.
    I hope these bullies don't confuse my good manners in not destroying them with weakness. If you are on friendly terms with anyone you consider as a candidate for my ire feel free to warn them.
    To those of you with a better game I bid you a happy new year,
    Des

Advertisement