Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector v Rear Projection TV

Options
  • 29-12-2004 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi

I'm presently looking at the Sony KF50SX300

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=7318&type=5&path=10x4117

Only thing is the price 4099 yo yos which leads me onto my question. Would I be better off with a projector? The room I will have the equipment in is big enough. My dilema is I will want to use this piece of equipment for up to 8 hours per day. I really need something for regular viewing and the TVs styling is absolutley gorgeous. But for 1500 I can have a pretty decent projector.

Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm not 100% sure of this but wouldn't the Rear projection tv and the projector have the same durability in terms of viewing time and repeated cycles of being turned on and off.

And don't buy from peats what ever you decide. The same TV is €2115 from here: http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_15367.html They ship to Ireland, but you will have to ring them for a price.

Did you notice peats are trying to charge €600 for the stand. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

Cheers for the website Ciaran. Peats was the first site i'd looked at (and the last). 600 notes for a bloody stand is a little irish alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Good place for projectors:

http://www.nexnix.co.uk

Or www.ivojo.co.uk

I got mine off them and its the nicest company I've ever dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

obvious I know, but a projector will require a tv tuner of some description.

The big question is will her indoors let you do this my little hobbit friend...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unbeatable have it here including the stand for €2,066 excluding delivery. No stock though.

I did not know Unbeatable deliver to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

be careful buying any of these products outside ireland the tuners wont be able to tune in any of the regular channels on ntl

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Did you notice peats are trying to charge €600 for the stand. :O

the site mentioned in the first post doesnt include the stand either. plus if you buy it from sony its €899.

Odd the way unbeatable have it listed twice and it dearer without the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

thanks for that slave 1, never knew you cared. Surely the tv tuner will be compatible as I do not belive these are digital tuners. Isn't UK and Irish system based around same technology i.e. pal. Surely it would be just a matter of tuning the channels in. If they were digi tellys then I'd be reluctant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Unbeatable have it here including the stand for €2,066 excluding delivery. No stock though.

I did not know Unbeatable deliver to Ireland

I rang unbeatable just before Christmas asking about buying
    this. I wanted to buy the european model with the anologue tuner. They told me that they only stocked the digital ready one and also, that they only offer a delivery service within the UK.

For people that would like to browse a site from the UK that actually do delivery to Eire, take a look here. Unfortunely for HOD-it I dont thing they stock the TV you are after. They do however stock European models of many ot the tv's.

http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/default.asp

and for the tv I am after,
    http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/prodView.asp?idProduct=967&idCategory=496

I got my home cinema speakers from unbeatable and I think someone else on here got a 42' plasma delivered from them.

A UK tuner will not work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

HOB-it wrote:
    thanks for that slave 1, never knew you cared. Surely the tv tuner will be compatible as I do not belive these are digital tuners. Isn't UK and Irish system based around same technology i.e. pal. Surely it would be just a matter of tuning the channels in. If they were digi tellys then I'd be reluctant.

Not as simple as that unfortunately ! UK TV systems historically used the UHF frequency band for all its terestrial broadcasting and in bygone years UK sets were only fitted with UHF tuners. The Irish system historically used VHF band I & III for terestrial so sets destined for Ireland had both VHF and UHF tuners fitted. Things got more complicated when SKY came along and landed the cable companies with a moxy load of new channels to carry on their systems. This required the use of new previously unused channels and seperation types. People who bought the old VHF - UHF converters lost out because these units couldn't handle the wider bands used by the new cable systems.

That said I think the majority of TV makers now fit standard tuners for the Eire/UK market and a little browsing of specs should find out what you need to know.

ZEN

(edit)

I've just checked the Sony website and it seems that set comes loaded with everything bar the popcorn maker !! According to this info the set will tune in any channels available in Ireland (bottom of page)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Dell do good front-facing projectors. Had one for a year with no probs.

Advertisement