Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone pay monthly help

Options
  • 29-12-2004 2:22am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one know where to find it really cheap?
    apart from €670 sim free and vodafone bill for €269

6630.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

i was just wondering, im thinking of buying a nokia 3650 for 269euro under the vodafone light contract (20euro a month) and was thinking that as soon as i get it i wont use the bill sim card and hence get the phone for 509

now as i wont be 21 until the end of january i was just wondering how much of a deposit can i expect to have to pay right now, and would that deposit eventually go toward the line rental (20euro a month) as opposed to any costs incurred on the bill

also ive heard if i wait until i turn 21 any deposit i will have to pay will be halfed. is this claim true?

my idea is that hopefully any deposit i pay would go towards the 20 a month i waste buy not using the sim

any help is really appreciated as my only other option would be to pay 670euro for the phone :eek:

thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

slade_x wrote:
    now as i wont be 21 until the end of january i was just wondering how much of a deposit can i expect to have to pay right now, and would that deposit eventually go toward the line rental (20euro a month) as opposed to any costs incurred on the bill
    Never heard anything about paying a deposit. Vodafone's Ts & Cs only specify that you have to be over 18. Maybe you're thinking you have to pay a deposit if you wish to put the cost of the phone (i.e. €269) on your first bill?
    my idea is that hopefully any deposit i pay would go towards the 20 a month i waste buy not using the sim
    You shouldn't have to pay a deposit simply to get a service, but they will insist on signing you up for direct debit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

seamus wrote:
    Never heard anything about paying a deposit. Vodafone's Ts & Cs only specify that you have to be over 18. Maybe you're thinking you have to pay a deposit if you wish to put the cost of the phone (i.e. €269) on your first bill?
    You shouldn't have to pay a deposit simply to get a service, but they will insist on signing you up for direct debit.

the deposit will be for the 6630

edit: i was told on top off the 269 id have to pay a deposit and that they wouldn't know how much it would be until they activated the number

anyone have an idea of how much? and also can i get away with never using the sim card for 12 months?

and im currently aware of the need for a direct debit account. i pay most of my bills with it

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Not sure which one but one of the phone shops is doing an offer if you connect to supertime 300 you get the 6630 for 169.

Not sure which one but one of the phone shops is doing an offer if you connect to supertime 300 you get the 6630 for 169.

i dont plan on using the bill sim card so paying 69 euro a month would just be stupid just to avail of the €169 first time connections for 3G

but thanks anyway.. :)

• Advertisement

any other help? i'd really like to know what im getting myself in for,
    because as if im going to trust the guy
    behind the counter making about 200-300 commission off me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

slade_x wrote:

Dude, there is no way in blue hell that they counter guys in Vodafone shops make that much commission, or else we'd all be selling phones to each other.

Why do you need it so badly? And why not get it on O2 if you don't want to use Vodafone?

Loads of ones on ebay.co.uk for £250-300 which is about as good as it gets.

Dude, there is no way in blue hell that they counter guys in Vodafone shops make that much commission, or else we'd all be selling phones to each other.

Why do you need it so badly? And why not get it on O2 if you don't want to use Vodafone?

Loads of ones on ebay.co.uk for £250-300 which is about as good as it gets.

its not available on o2 yet.. and it doesnt matter anymore. my cousin is on vodafone bill in the uk and is due an upgrade so hes getting it for £100 on his current tariff, so i said id wire him €160 for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Syn-Boy

Slade_X was just saying a few things about connecting to Vodafone Pay Monthly. What I have to say applies to o2 as well and i work for an independent retailer of mobile phones.

When getting a first time connection to the operators you are credit scored on the ability to maintain a good credit relationship. The standard questions are:

1) Your Age, but this is a smaller factor in things than people realise
    2) Residental Status, living with family; home owner; private/public tenant etc
    3) Lenght of time at current address. If less than 3 yrs they require a prev. address
    4) payment option, whether a form of DD or cash (online =cash)
    5) how long u have held a bank account for
    6) ur employment status. This includes category of employment, time in employment, employer name & phone # are taken and can be checked.
    7) the ability to give a home & work phone # (in particular with o2)
    8) Nationality & Marital Status

All these things are scored and depending on the outcome of the operator will do a number of things:

Vodafone:
    Connect with no conditions
    Connect with DD required
    Connect with DD required & advance payment ( pays bills straight away)
    Connect with DD required & deposit (held for 6months n must be claimed back)

They sometimes refer and this means that someone checks the details and can ring employers & home numbers to check u out. Would happen if an 18yr old home owner for 10yrs, working as a professional for 13 years etc

[Just omitted something here] vodafone always give automatic roaming, int calls within the first 3 months is an automatic advance payment of €100. that doesnt really matter whether u are bill gates or a bum!!

O2:
    They do things diff. They either connect u with DOMESTIC services which means no roaming or int calls for 3months or connect with INTERNATIONAL & ROAMING services, u can use those services straight away. if u get Domestic u can usually upgrade to INT & ROAMING for €125 advance payment. Rarely see deposits. Usually only if u had an old account and tried to reconnect without having settled the old acc. Oh the odd time we get "recommend the customer speakeasy services" thats if the cust is a complete bogey!

Anyways thats how things tend to work. Forgive me if i have left anything out.

But few things bout Nokia 6630. Firstly i have it myself and think its great. the next thing is that 3G services are not available on RTG and wont be in the near future so a big chunk of the functionality of the phone is lost for anyone buying with bill connection or on light and not using bill sim.

Also if Slade_X gets a supertime 300 connection for €169 they dont have to stay on that tarriff for X months. its a myth!!! i connected on supertime and already have changed down. u just gotta change ur tarrif online or in a store. no one turns a blind eye to it. We are told to say 3 months commitment or 6 months commitment coz we are told that our commission is affected!!! Truth is, as far as im 99% sure, ur contract for 12 months is with Vodafone, u can change ur tarriff monthly dependent on how u judge ur needs! one month u could have a high call volume, but not the next etc.

Saying that im sure o2 do impose minimum commitments to a tarriff more rigidly.

Also about getting phone from UK. I hope u know how to get it unlocked Slade_X coz it could be restricted to Vodafone UK.

Syn-Boy wrote:

Also if Slade_X gets a supertime 300 connection for €169 they dont have to stay on that tarriff for X months. its a myth!!! i connected on supertime and already have changed down. u just gotta change ur tarrif online or in a store. no one turns a blind eye to it. We are told to say 3 months commitment or 6 months commitment coz we are told that our commission is affected!!! Truth is, as far as im 99% sure, ur contract for 12 months is with Vodafone, u can change ur tarriff monthly dependent on how u judge ur needs! one month u could have a high call volume, but not the next etc.

Didn't want to post the above uncase i upset some of you guys in the shops was aware of what you should be telling customers and how it may be affecting your commission ;)

But since you have posted it just wanted to add to get it even cheaper make sure you go in the day before one of Vodafone's bill days 7,14,21,28 . That way you can ring up change the bill day if you have not been assigned the right one and also change the tarrif and this will come into effect the next day which means in affect you have only spent a day on supertime 300 :)

• Advertisement

Syn-Boy wrote:
    Also about getting phone from UK. I hope u know how to get it unlocked Slade_X coz it could be restricted to Vodafone UK.

i have always unlocked phones in the past personally and any phone i have gotten from the UK are never locked. they were basically sim free branded phones that they put bill sims into

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

slade_x wrote:

And by the way, people in phone shops make no where near that amount of commission on you. I work part time and I'd be pleased to get 200-300 commission in a month!

And although we do work on commission, it doesnt cloud our judgement so much that if something is totally wrong for you, we'll still push it.

The 6630 is good but as was said before you won't be able to use any 3G services on it if you use it on RTG. If you're gonna pay for the light, you might as well use it. Otherwise you're wasting money.

A friend of mine once worked in a phone shop. She was paid less than the minimum wage, but couldn't do anything about it because the commission was supposed to "make up for the difference." It sure as hell didn't. Commission on postpay connections is buttons (pretty much).

Yep same scenario here. And myself and all my colleagues all agree we are paid better than anyone else we know in a similar job. If you can't make enough commission, it's not the job for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

Didn't want to post the above uncase i upset some of you guys in the shops was aware of what you should be telling customers and how it may be affecting your commission ;)

But since you have posted it just wanted to add to get it even cheaper make sure you go in the day before one of Vodafone's bill days 7,14,21,28 . That way you can ring up change the bill day if you have not been assigned the right one and also change the tarrif and this will come into effect the next day which means in affect you have only spent a day on supertime 300 :)

so ur sayin i can opt for supertime300 just to get the 6630 for E169 and then change back to extra the next day?

dookie wrote:
    so ur sayin i can opt for supertime300 just to get the 6630 for E169 and then change back to extra the next day?

Well technically your saying that but ....... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    eep.
    They must have changed their policy. I moved from RTG to billpay in late 2002, and they just needed the usual bank statement/utility bills and signed up to a direct debit. No deposit, even got a new Sony J7 for €9 (great little phone at the time). Maybe they were finding loads of RTGers ripping them off on migration...

They used to do over the phone migrations from RTG to POSTPAID which was the best way to avoid the deposit but this has been stopped.

If you don't want a deposit,

-pay by direct debit,

-be a home owner (if it can be at all believable),
    and live there over 3 years,

-work in a professional job full time,

-give a house phone number and work phone number (even if you don't have a house phone, give your parents or something).

Sometimes agents lie a little on the forms as we don't want you to be asked for a deposit just as much as you don't!
    As long as your 'mistruths' aren't too obvious, you'll probably get away with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement