Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Issue....Help Needed

Options
  • 29-12-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

I have a moped, which ran out of tax in 06/04.
    I was away till 08/04, But drove the bike from then on and never gotten around to re taxing my bike. I know i can pay back Tax, But with penalties, But does anyone know what the penalties are like. Also a little worried ill get in some trouble,( ie. point on licence )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've done this before on the car (inadvertently). You'll need to go to a police station and get the form signed by a guard. In your case he'll sign the section that it was off the road for the two months and that it was on the road for the rest. afaik there are no penalties - just have to backdate the tax to 08/04. At least that was the case when I had to back date it by 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Yup thats correct, I left my car untaxed from March to December this year, just poped down to the police station and got them to sign the off road declaration on the motor tax form and bob was my uncle

They don't really seem to care to see proof that the car has been off-road either

DW

Mayshine wrote:
    They don't really seem to care to see proof that the car has been off-road either

DW

That's true. They don't really care. Another time we forgot to tax the car it was two months out and the guard signed the wrong box (stating that the car was off the road). No back tax paid that time :)

Up to you how honest you want to be ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yep just go to a police station and get a Guard to sign your TAX form stating how long the bike was off the road. The Guards signature is just to confirm that he/she has witnessed your declaration and is not acceptance that you are making a truthful declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a good idea to declare that it was off the road when it wasn't. First of all it's fraud. Some will say who cares...

Second of all it might come back and bite ya, e.g. in case you were caught speeding during the period you declared the car off the road. Is it really worth the risk for a couple of months back tax on a bike?

Thirdly if your bike / car is out of tax by more than 3 months, the Gardai can confiscate it. You will be prosecuted and you face a big fine / penalty. Make no mistake, Gardai DO enforce this in some cases!!

Just go into your motor taxation office and pay the new tax + the back tax. There is no penalty and you just pay what you owe

Last: If you don't pay your tax, then I am paying it for you. No thanks :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

for a moped u dont even need to goto a garda sation. Just get the from directly from the tax office, cant remember the name of it, maybe r40 or something, its not on the website, tho the guards will tell u what form u need

because the tax is out by more than a month he need's to get a guard to sign the form. You can get the form from https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/staticContent.do?page=offline

from that page:
    The form must be used if you wish to pay arrears in a motor tax office or declare a period of non-use of a vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

he doesnt. i didnt, he doesnt either

Macros42, that link is dead
    heggie wrote:
    he doesnt. i didnt, he doesnt either

Quoi? :confused:

Here
    is the link to download the form needed to tax your bike. Arrears can be filled in too. Just return it with the usual attachments and your payment and all will be well :)

odd - session timeout???

Anyway - www.motortax.ie is the site for all your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Cheers lads im on my way now to get it all sorted, gonna pop by the police staion to make sure i don't need the form.
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

unkel wrote:
    in case you were caught speeding during the period you declared the car off the road.
    Nitpicking, but aren't those systems completely separate (Garda V Council)? I doubt it's Garda policy to cross-check speeding offenses against tax, and I doubt the Council is in a position to cross-check against the Garda databases.

Course he should pay his backtax like, but that reason seems a little facetious. Gotta say I never heard of someone's car being conficated for lack of tax either, except a few extreme cases...

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    aren't those systems completely separate (Garda V Council)?

They probably are. I'd be more worried about an eager young Garda who'd take the trouble to do a 1 minute cross-check. If this happens, you're fooked
    dahamsta wrote:
    I never heard of someone's car being conficated for lack of tax either, except a few extreme cases...

It's kinda at the Garda's discretion. They regularly DO confiscate out of tax cars though. Plenty of Gardai in the family, so don't say I didn't warn any of ya ;)

Advertisement