Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Houston Texas.. 15mbps/2mbps $49.99!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭kensutz

k I'm sick now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Sweden beat that hands down!!!!

100MBit / 100Mbit Fiber connection to your home for the costly sum of €55.90 per month (495 kroner). 300GB a month cap.
    http://www.bredband.com/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=302

AND they manage to push 10MBit connections down copper phone lines!!! Eircon should send some of their "engineers" over there, they might learn something :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sweden beat that hands down!!!!

100MBit / 100Mbit Fiber connection to your home for the costly sum of €55.90 per month (495 kroner). 300GB a month cap.
    http://www.bredband.com/se/content.jsp?t=2&s=3&m=302

AND they manage to push 10MBit connections down copper phone lines!!! Eircon should send some of their "engineers" over there, they might learn something :D

Whats the optimum speed for broadband - from the point of view that beyond that speed there would be no real noticable improvement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

dub45 wrote:
    Whats the optimum speed for broadband - from the point of view that beyond that speed there would be no real noticable improvement?

one could argue that 512kbit is enough but did we not have a famous person in the past say somewhing about xyz being the most anyone will need?
    surely once we move past 10Mbit the returns start to dimish, but broadband should be seen as a utility (like gas/electricity) in this time and near future.

that said, when is finally eircom upgrading the standard 512Kbit offering for home users to something more in-line with european and other standards? 1-2Mbit for less than 50E would be a start. Maybe 2006 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 acetate

dub45 wrote:

i'd imagine it would be the same transfer rate as your hard disk, no? something like 150MBps at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

silent wrote:
    that said, when is finally eircom upgrading the standard 512Kbit offering for home users to something more in-line with european and other standards? 1-2Mbit for less than 50E would be a start. Maybe 2006 :(

more like 2010

I'm soo sick man!

sometimes I'm thinking if just picking up and moving to Sweden, how is English in Sweden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

i'd imagine it would be the same transfer rate as your hard disk, no? something like 150MBps at the moment.
    new harddrives have a sustained transfer rates of about 40-50MB/s, to achieve that would require ~500Mbit network link with the overhead, plus a fast cpu to produce the necessary amount of packets to fill the link
    that would be cool though :cool: :drool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Hate to say it but the Swedes seem to have the fastest of everything. They hold the fastest broadband connection record also. They managed a 4.23GB/s connection.
    http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/recovery/story/0,10801,93947,00.html
    (I wonder if we could set up an exchange scheme where we could send some of our Eircon clowns in return for some people who know what they're doing) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

eircom engineers are actually quite good - once you can get hold of them. The problem in eircom is the management that prevents anyone from accessing broadband.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm getting a 8Mb/1Mb ADSL line in France for 15euro (an extra 5euro for free national calls to fixed lines) and a 24Mb line costs about 40euro.

Seeing as 4 years ago I signrd up for the all new 512 ADSL broadband, maybe Ireland isn't so far behind timewise?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote:
    I'm getting a 8Mb/1Mb ADSL line in France for 15euro (an extra 5euro for free national calls to fixed lines) and a 24Mb line costs about 40euro.

That's it I'm sick!

I'm pretty sure Ireland won't get such speeds for a looooooooong time. it's a greedy monopoly here, and only a little percentage of people know what broadband is, what what speeds are available to other countries, and very little people complain about it,

even if there will be broadband of 2 megs and up available here, there will be ridiculous caps preventing u from doing much, everything other than http and pop will be throttled and basically it will be rubbish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

On a slightly different note, can anyone explain why xDSL is capped in Ireland (and other countries) in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Because money can be made that way.

And Re: The original topic - I know a couple of guys with this Heuston package - one of them hosts a 16 player HL2DM server for our entertainment...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ohh the joys of being able to download at 1.5mb/sec instead of ehh 53kb/sec or what ever it its....

Some people say you dont need speeds like that....

i dont!!

Chief.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ponster wrote:
    On a slightly different note, can anyone explain why xDSL is capped in Ireland (and other countries) in the first place?

Presumably for bandwidth reasons? If there was unlimited downloads I presume the Companies would need much more bandwidth for their customers and therefore the prices would go up. It seems that as the market develops different type products are emerging. I noticed lately that in England someone was offering a bb product that had a daily limit but during the night an unlimited download which would seem to suggest that the issue is bandwidth.

Ponster wrote:

none of the people I know outside Ireland have capped xDSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

silent wrote:
    when is finally eircom upgrading the standard 512Kbit offering for home users to something more in-line with european and other standards? 1-2Mbit for less than 50E would be a start. Maybe 2006 :(

WAIT A MINUTE THERE...
    how about just making ANY adsl available to a reasonable number of people??????

for f***s sake, get a grip

ADO

Advertisement