Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galways new club?

Options
  • 29-12-2004 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I've heard there is a new club in Oranmore's new complex called city limits. I'm told there is quazar and bowling lanes... oh and a welcomed cinema to fend off Omniplex.

Anyway I was trying to get a very stubborn gang of us to head to the place as I've heard there are buses going from town. The arguement against was that buses were unreliable a the wee hours in the morning and we'd have to fork out for taxi/cabs back to civilisation. (we ended up in the usual CP's)

Rumors I've heard is that it has Europe's biggest dance floor which I can't believe tbh.

Anyway I was thinking I might have a look at the place on new years eve. What I'm hoping for is a huge club with great transport to and from town that actually plays club music, unlike most clubs in Galway which plays the same ****e (cept for GPO, which used to be class (my gang won't return tho cause they ruined their name with 70's 80's and R n B (which I'm not dissing))

Anyway. anyone been? or know anything about the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

wow, only 1 view... I should have put this somewhere else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sniipe wrote:
    (we ended up in the usual CP's)
    lmao
    Rumors I've heard is that it has Europe's biggest dance floor which I can't believe tbh.
    lmao*2

funny guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

newest rumour is that they may not have the largest dance floor but Europes first... then the person (the rumour'er) keeled over with the drink inside in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

I met a taxi Driver who claimed that the men:women ratio out there was 1:5. Tho I wouldnt hold out on that making it a decent club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I'll actually be working there full time, moving out from the big bad "stale" Dublin to Galway next weekend.

Been down twice already New years and Stephens' to do some work. dont know if thats and accurate representation of the usual crowd ?

Bodytonic played Stephens night, John Gibbons will be resident DJ on Saturdays + guests

What it's got ?

Four Floors,
    Holds about 1400,
    State of the art sound, lighting and visual system.
    Anyway I was thinking I might have a look at the place on new years eve. What I'm hoping for is a huge club with great transport to and from town that actually plays club music, unlike most clubs in Galway which plays the same ****e (cept for GPO, which used to be class (my gang won't return tho cause they ruined their name with 70's 80's and R n B (which I'm not dissing))

Buses were arranged and I'm sure will be permenantly

Love for you and your mates to voice your opinion on music likes / dislikes even on the board and I can pass it on.

Will post more info as soon as I know its ok by managment.

• Advertisement

deevey wrote:
    Love for you and your mates to voice your opinion on music likes / dislikes even on the board and I can pass it on.

Will post more info as soon as I know its ok by managment.
    how about playing less cheesy chart crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How's about a metal/rock night once a week/fortnight?

There is a hell of alot of peope who'd go to it.

how about playing less cheesy chart crap?

I hear ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lady.old

i went to the new club vertigo in oranmore,it can hold altogether 1,500 ppl on its 3 floors,there is a freeshuttle bus goin before and afta.the niteclub was crap it had no atmosphere,and unfortunately played the same music throughout the club,and didnt put on gud dance music till bout the last2hrs.aswell they avnt enough bar staff,so mak sur to get all ur drinks for the nite at once.but i will say the bouncers were frendly compared to most in galway city.the club is nly startn out so id giv it sum time for it to develop before u head out and mak sure to bring your passport they wont accept netn else

gud dance music

Definition of what you think is gud dance music ? specifics folks specifics, name a few tracks / groups bands etc..

• Advertisement

get the 110th street boys down there for a once off... could be cool.

i'll prolly be heading there this weekend. any chance of a couple of vip passes?

deevey wrote:
    Definition of what you think is gud dance music ? specifics folks specifics, name a few tracks / groups bands etc..
    Give one floor over to some rock/metal/punk music at least one night a week.
    Look at how popular the 3nd floor in Cuba is.
    Music for example:
    System of a Down
    The Foo Fighters
    Pantera
    Rage Against The Machine
    Thin Lizzy
    Sepultura
    At The Drive-In
    The Pixies
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    AC\DC
    Tenacious D
    Metallica
    Therapy?
    The Deftones
    Nirvana
    Mötorhead
    Bodycount
    The Who
    The Ramones
    Queens of the Stone-Age
    The Rolling Stones
    Tool
    Rammstein
    Stiff Little Fingers
    The Clash
    The Doors

Give people a little bit of choice, particularly in such a large club.
    If you don't diversify the music a bit, you'll get saddled with a reputation for one type of music, which isn't good when you're trying to get as many bodies into the place on any given night of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

SyxPak wrote:
    Give people a little bit of choice, particularly in such a large club.
    If you don't diversify the music a bit, you'll get saddled with a reputation for one type of music, which isn't good when you're trying to get as many bodies into the place on any given night of the week.

I concur with the honourable delegate from somewhere out in internet land.
    But sometimes the music isn't the problem but the severe and criminal lack of
    space in the said club.Long live oversized niteclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I concur with the honourable delegate from somewhere out in internet land.
    Boo Hiss theirs nothing like small overcrowed night clubs full of people to really make a night of it: )

Where do the buses for this club depart from???????
    last time I was out their looking we were looking for the cinema that is ment to be out their but could not find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

the cinema is not built yet I don't think

deevey wrote:

I gots to know do you actually think dance music is worth going out for there is nothing more dodge and tack than dance especially irish clubland music.

I only ask because it puts me in a mood of melancholy to listen to dance music.

It'll be taken over by motcheens at the weekend.

there is nothing more dodge and tack than dance especially irish clubland music.

Have you ever been to a proper dance music night/day/event e.g. House / Techno nights / Creamfields / Homelands (yes its still dance music) ?

Roger sanchez, soulsearchers, daft punk, etc... are (in my eyes anyhow) decent quality (mainstreamish) dance music, which "is" credible and pretty non offensive.

I totally agree, although I would not consider "Irish clubland" to be dance music in the club sence at all, nothing more than trad songs with a 140bpm backing track.... in other words $HITE credibility out the window this thing was designed to be a beer coaster or played at teen discos alongside scooter !!! (see other thread in the music section for more on this).

I'd be perfectly happy if each one of the irish clubland (and similar) CD's would self destruct in the buyers CD player !!! its just industrial Noise pollution to the extreme in my eyes.

Before anyone goes flaming me, these are my views, if you like Irish clubland type stuff, Fine.

I like alot of music, my preference is the darker / tougher edge of house, again my opinion, I like it. :cool: but dont expect it to ever be played here. (if it does its a bonus though).

Making the gereralization that all dance music "not worth going out for "is non constructive to anyone, its like comparing westlife to metallica and then saying bands are crap.

Anyway, keep posting the names of stuff i'll forward it on.

P.S. Radiohead puts me in a mood of melancholy :P

deevey wrote:
    Have you ever been to a proper dance music night/day/event e.g. House / Techno nights / Creamfields / Homelands (yes its still dance music) ?

P.S. Radiohead puts me in a mood of melancholy :P

Its just I get angry sometimes at the lack of cultural diversity in this little speck of phlegm in the sea (called Ireland btw tbh). I'm an angry boy I know and I apologise, there also a few dance tracks I've jammed to but its hard to take when its that or pop(rnb and all that you go girl sheeiit) or go to a club and sociallise or stay at home. Anyway I apologise again sincerely I hope It gives you an idea why I said what I said.

Go to Sally Long's on a Wednesday or The Warrick on a Thursday//Cuba upstairs.
    Richardson's pwns also.

I've recently discovered that The Commander down in the Drum every second thursday is a good way to pass the night.
    Beats the floury píss out of "JayZ Vs Atomic Kitten" on the main dancefloor.

• Advertisement

I hear ya, apologies for the rant too, just hate people tarring all music (of any sort) with the same brush as the crap that falls under the saem banner, hence my asking originally for a few track names/groups etc.. that people consider "gud" as this will, I have no doubt infuence the attitude of the music policy rather then just saying "dance music" (as an example) which covers everything under the sun from r'nB to hardcore gabber.

not all dance music is for pilled up nutters, likewise not all rock music will turn a dancefloor into a mosh pit, security is obviously a concern for all venues as is licencing.

Theres also more nights of the week then Saturday, and gawd knows I'v had to go out on some arkward ones to find music that I find acceptable and perhaps we will see a rock style night in the future.

Also bear in mind its virtually impossible to please everybody so majority generally will rule, and mates (even if they dont like the music or place) will follow.... sad but true.

Not related to any one club, but finding a venue where you can actually mosh in comfort is damn hard.
    In any of the big clubs, it inevitably ends up with some píssheads jumping around and getting overly violent (to be distinguished from aggressive), or motcheens seeing it as an opportuinity to lay in a few shly punches.

THat sort of thing annoys the hell out of me.
    Bouncers have to come over and pull any sort of mosh-like behaviour apart because of the danger of the above happening, whether or not it's actually happening. It's not their fault, they're just doing their job, but it seriously drags when you can't jump around and headbang with your mates to some good power chords.

There exists such a thing as "responsible moshing" and anyone who's actually in to it will abide by common curtesy, ie, maintain a tight huddle but immediately clear a bit of space if someone falls down and offer them a hand up.

This is the norm at just about any metal gig I've been to around the city, the sort of thing that used to be held in O'Malleys back in the day.

Ah yes O'Malleys now their was a great metal bar once apon a time, I remember the last time I was their it was a good few years ago and a band call diffterai were playing before them was a warm up band who covered themself in cows blood in the bath room before they went on stage. So when you went the bathroom you were met by a floor full of blood :D
    the same night i got a lovely accidential headbut in the eye and my face blew up like a balloon :)
    It was a great night all the same!
    A club that would play a bit of metal now and again would be very welcome in Galway!

P.S. I LOVE IRELAND:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

T'was Diphtheria, Arginite. And the band that covered themselves in blood were the main attraction, not the "Warm-up" band. It was pigsblood also, and they had a pigs head with them to boot. Great band by the name of Witchhammer, they were from cork. Split up now as I've heard.

I was actually working there at the time, and I was thankfull as **** that I was on the door that night, and didn't have to clean up the mess. :D

Diphtheria
    never could spell.
    ya I remember a head of some kind.

Lord of the Flies stylee

Did ye ever here of opeth thems be gud musicieens.

On-Topic:

So, anyone been to this place since?

Reports?

SyxPak wrote:
    On-Topic:

So, anyone been to this place since?

Reports?
    apparently you have to wear "shoes"
    **** that like. i wear shoes all week in work. there's no way i'd wear the ****ing things if i'm heading out for a bit of fun at the weekend.

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    apparently you have to wear "shoes"
    **** that like. i wear shoes all week in work. there's no way i'd wear the ****ing things if i'm heading out for a bit of fun at the weekend.

Now that is proper fugging shieet and certainly can not be justfied it simply serves no purpose but oppression. Goddog Irish society can get very tiring. I mean you pay to go in to supposedly enjoy yourself what are we really paying for "experience national school again". Aw I'm all angry now.

Advertisement