Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kinda guy are you?

Options
  • 29-12-2004 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Which do you prefer

Which would play(the most) 32 votes

Ps2
    0% 0 votes
    Gamecube
    34% 11 votes
    Xbox
    40% 13 votes
    Computer
    25% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wtf ?

/edit see you added a poll that made this post make a bit more sence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Pc man myslef

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i prefer the X box, although i dont have it, i have a ps2.
    people that pick PC's over consoles, amount of trouble you have, installng, upgrading your drivers and what not ! not many games of my choice are available on pc either, burnout series, devil may cry series, wwe series, viewtiful joe !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You assume I'm a guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Placebo wrote:
    people that pick PC's over consoles, amount of trouble you have, installng, upgrading your drivers and what not ! !

Its no trouble for the class of game you can get /me waits for battlefield 2

• Advertisement

installing, upgrading.. they are far better than having to bye a whole new system.. far more customizable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Placebo wrote:
    i prefer the X box, although i dont have it, i have a ps2.
    people that pick PC's over consoles, amount of trouble you have, installng, upgrading your drivers and what not ! not many games of my choice are available on pc either, burnout series, devil may cry series, wwe series, viewtiful joe !!!

PC for me. Im more of a RTS, FPS and RPG person so PC is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i suppose PC is better for FPS.
    followed by the DS ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2oddsox

P.C. for sure !!

Yep.. Pc's.. Its pc's which creat the ps2's of the world! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sico wrote:
    You assume I'm a guy?

Ditto. What a disgrace etc.

it's a mans world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Shrimp wrote:
    it's a mans world...

Whatever.

Anyway, PC all the way for versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

umm i wudnt really compare a pc to a console tbh....
    like theres games i play on my pc that i wudnt touch on my xbox,consoles are for sittin around with a few mates havin a laugh whereas pcs are more for one person to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

This probably isn't that fair to all the console kiddies that can't vote. Which is yet another reason the pc is better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Personally I like computer games more then the computers, or the brand or computer.

[Oh, and to be technical, they’re all PCs, and you wouldn’t get any of the makers arguing otherwise, at least not when the EU tax man is around]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't decide between PS2 or Gamecube. Both have excellent arcadey games that are rarely available on the other 2 systems. Xbox is full of soulless american games and the only 2 games on it I consider classics are Ninja Gaiden and Panzer Dragoon Orta. As for the PC, I get bored playing FPS and RTS games so much. I'd probably go for Gamecube since it has Nintendo games.

Also upgrading is a pain in the arse and the wallet. Anyone who has constant upgrading as a plus point for the PC is an idiot. Lets see 300 euros for a new system every 5 or so years or 1000 or more on a upgrade that will be obsolete in 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Anyone who has constant upgrading as a plus point for the PC is an idiot.

Constant upgrading isn't itself a plus point. The ability to do so is. I have a choice whether to play Half-Life 2 with a low but acceptable framerate, medium-quality textures, etc etc or to pay extra to enjoy superior graphics, sound, etc. Noone holds a gun to my head and forces me to upgrade. And if I do choose to do so, I can choose between the bleeding-edge €300 graphics cards or the year-old models for a quarter of the price.

Also, I'm not so much of a moron that I have any trouble with drivers etc like some of the previous posters. What slight inconvenience I go through to keep drivers up to date is repayed by my system's flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Also upgrading is a pain in the arse and the wallet. Anyone who has constant upgrading as a plus point for the PC is an idiot. Lets see 300 euros for a new system every 5 or so years or 1000 or more on a upgrade that will be obsolete in 1 year.

Price isn't really an issue in playability so, as true (if not slightly exaggerated) as that is, there isn't a system out there that can touch it in terms of technical performance, variety of games and controllers (the mouse and keyboard are fantastic methods of control for FPS, RTS and RPGs) and extensive online communities creating mods, add-ons and playing lots and lots of games. Given your fondness (and mine) for oldschool games I'm sure you'd appreciate the fact that there are emulators and roms for every pre-32 bit console and thousands of arcade games out there. But those are illegal so I don't use them, and neither should anyone else. Please don't ban me. *curses intense desire to brag about PC*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Well financially there isnt much diffrence, considering most peopel who play games any amount have 2 or 3 of the latest gen of consoles, thats about 800-900 in itself, a fully running PC (without moniter) for about £500-600, it wont be the mutts nuts, but it will play HL2, or Doom3, or any game out in the next 2 years, and give about £150 a year upgrades, it works out to be not THAT much more expensive than a console, not to mention its 100 times more adaptable, when I see someone doing their coursework up on their PS2, or makign a game avi on their gamecube, or making a full conversion MOD on their X-box, I might consider it, but until that day Ill stick with my PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I don't like playing games with the graphics on low levels and with rubbish frame rates. Its getting on my nerves at the moment since my PC that I upgraded less than a year ago with a new graphics card doesn't run HL2 that well and Doom 3 is unplayable unless the detail is right down and then there's no point in playing it. I have to fork out for a new chip mobo and RAM in february and its not going to be cheap. I'll be going for the best at a decent price since I want to get more than a year out of an upgrade. This argument has probably come at a bad time for me :)

And my brother filling my PC with viruses and other crap every time he comes home doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Sitting on a couch with a joypad in your hand will always be better than sitting up at an uncomfortable desk in my opinion.

The only PC games I really like are strategy games, which consoles never do well at because the interface suits a mouse and a high res monitor is important for all the text etc.

While modern PCs obviously have a lot more power, I don't think that necessarily makes them better. Every year the bar is being raised for console games, without people being forced to upgrade. The PC I had when I first got my PS2 wouldn't be able to even try to run the PC games out today, even with all the options scaled down. Upgrading is not a great 'option' for PC gamers, it's only optional if you consider being able to play games optional...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Lets see; with €100, I can get a part that will vastly improve my graphics. With XBox, your stuck with crap graphics.

It's not about graphics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I don't see why people keep bringing up price as an issue, but (for the record) buying all three of the major consoles is still cheaper than a PC that will be obsolete in 3 years. When it comes to stability, the PC is markedly less stable than consoles because of the wide variety of possible configurations. However, if you put the effort in you get a lot more out. That aside, let's get on with the informed debate.

j0o can tayk jooR gh3ystation and your g4ycube and use them to prop doors open w1+h Th3m. and if y00 liek x-box that me3n5 you like m$ and you want to do it with (dollar)bill gaytes!!11!one!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm a pc man myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Erm, I'm gonna re-interpret that question as 'What kinda girl are you?'...
    GameCube myself. I like my Nintendo games. And given that I don't have as much time for games as I'd like, I get my quality on GC. Metroid, Zelda, SSBM, F-Zero... fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sico wrote:
    You assume I'm a guy?

Go away, crazy lady!

Personally, I'm going to have to go with PC.
    PC uber alles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Steven wrote:
    j0o can tayk jooR gh3ystation and your g4ycube and use them to prop doors open w1+h Th3m. and if y00 liek x-box that me3n5 you like m$ and you want to do it with (dollar)bill gaytes!!11!one!

And that's why I don't like PC FPS's. (btw I do know he was being sarcastic)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

GameCube myself. I like my Nintendo games. And given that I don't have as much time for games as I'd like, I get my quality on GC. Metroid, Zelda, SSBM, F-Zero... fantastic.
    damn straight!

even though i have a pc that's more than capable of playing any current game (well... as soon as komplett replace my broken gfx card) there's nothing like curling up on the couch with a few beers and a copy of Metroid Prime or Pikmin 2.

Advertisement