Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kinda guy are you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

pc wins hands down lmao, the fact that there has been online gaming on pc for much longer and it still wins now because ps2 and x-box dont have programs u can download to find servers and players(buddys), also theres clan sites or server sites and such things on pc so like no wonder it rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

An excellent argument.*

PC here, btw.

*terms and conditions apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

PC tbh.

I wrote this on gamesradar forums on a topic almost the exact same.

[talking about people who complain that upgrading a PC is such a pain in the ass] Its just an excuse people make so they have an argument against PC gaming. My last PC didnt need to be upgraded for a year or so, and had i not built myself a new PC it still wouldnt have needed to be upgraded.

But to answer the question, No way in hell could i do without PC gaming.
    Back when all i owned were the big 3 consoles, i was blinkered the same way some people here are, saying 'im not spending money every month upgrading my pc to play doom 3 blah blah ill just wait for it on my xbox'. I thought 'consoles are gaming in the purest form, as gaming was meant to be, PC's are just multimedia devices, the gaming is watered down on them'.
    Then i bought myself a new, better pc, and boy were my eyes opened. After about 2 years PC gaming i can say without doubt that its the most mature, fun gaming experience available. And thats before even touching on the multiplayer aspect of things.

Take battlefield vietnam for example. (This is to counter peoples ideas that having to patch games is a pain in the arse). Patches are released for BFV every few months or so, not only do they include bug fixes (which yes, are a pain in the arse) but the developers kindly give us new, free maps, new vehicles and weapons in each patch. So just when you think youve mastered a game, heres something new to try out. And just when you think youve finished with a game like battlefield 1942, along comes the developers again, and releases a patch that recreates levels from 1942 but in vietnams graphics engine, and youre hooked playing 1942 again!
    Imagine if square rereleased FFVII with FFX'x graphics? For free??
    Score one for PC gaming.

As for upgrading, as i said i built a new PC during the summer. My old one was capable of running doom 3 fine, but my new run runs it amazingly. 1024 X 768 with AA turned on, its almost like experiencing the game all over again, it makes that much of a difference. Now imagine if the PS2 was rereleased with a better chipset and graphics chip capable of rendering GTA: SA in high res, with no jaggies, no pop up, no fogging, and at a frame rate of 60FPS constantly, all for 200 quid? Id say alot of people would be using thier old PS2 as a doorstop after that. So thats the bonus of upgradeability, its not that difficult, and it improves your gaming experience a thousandfold.

And i havent even begun to mention stuff like mods (counterstrike, again, a free game when it came out) wolfenstein enemy territory, (again, another free downloadable game thats better than most full priced games).
    Now dont get me wrong, im not a drooling fanboy, as i said i have all 3 consoles too, but tbh, PC gaming is the best way to experience gaming, its worth the headaches of installing and patching for the joy of stabbing someone from halfway round the world in the back in a game of BFV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I picked PC, only because i love FPS's and i have broadband. Since ive started playing online, i can never turn back to a console solely. I still love 4 players, but they have nothing on Raven Shield, Americas Army, Battlefield,CoD, Unreal etc etc.

GTA:SA kept me busy for a while though.

Anyway, PC over all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

steviec wrote:
    Sitting on a couch with a joypad in your hand will always be better than sitting up at an uncomfortable desk in my opinion
    An easily solved problem. I think nearly all gfx cards come with TV-OUT these days, and wireless keyboards and mice aren't too pricey. I play my PC games on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm no console monkey. I'm too old to play dumbed down games and I'd be embarrassed to own a PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

TimAy wrote:
    I picked PC, only because i love FPS's and i have broadband. Since ive started playing online

wooooo hooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Steven wrote:
    I'm sure you'd appreciate the fact that there are emulators and roms for every pre-32 bit console and thousands of arcade games out there. But those are illegal so I don't use them, and neither should anyone else. Please don't ban me. *curses intense desire to brag about PC*

dunno if you were being sarcastic or not but http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94 and entire forum devoted to emulators right here :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm no console monkey. I'm too old to play dumbed down games and I'd be embarrassed to own a PS2.

Now thats the best argument i've heard so far :rolleyes:

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Now thats the best argument i've heard so far :rolleyes:

It wasn't an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

The results are ''Computer 63%''

The Computer wins!

Deaddude wrote:

The Computer wins!

and so it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Deaddude wrote:

The Computer wins!
    how strange that 63% of the people ON AN INTERWEB FORUM play games on their computers...
    never saw that one coming :eek:

why? given alot of ppl posting here post from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Shrimp wrote:
    Pc man myslef

no quarry here :

hey wait weren't u the one hitting on Ms. Beanbag ??? Shrimp ???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pc man meself here but if there wasn't such a thing i'd pick gamecube nintendo NES was the first i had and i tell you they hooked me...

anyways the poll was always going to be lob sided as 100% of the votee's use a pc to vote on the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PS2 because i am narrowminded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I was going to say pc, but no matter how good fallout and homeworld are, there's nothing quite like a good nintendo game out there, especailly pikmin.
    I'm too old to play dumbed down games and I'd be embarrassed to own a PS2.
    You don't have to be embarrased, you just have to hide the thing, you probably won't get much good use from the console, unless you really need a spare dvd player.......it does have ICO though, and well.....that's just about the only thing i've used my ps2 for in about a year.

On the matter of upgrading being a pain in the ass, I love it, don't know why but i've always enjoyed building computers and stuff, and the rewards from the upgrades are usually worth the expense-especially if you have one of those friends who talks about how great the graphics are on his newest ps2 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thegogz

PC is the only way to go yeah you sometimes have problems but there is nothing like the graphics you can get from a good system and the sound quality is better and the games can be bigger and so on and so forth....(I'll stop rambling now!!!!)

Advertisement