Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website: Opinions please!!!

Options
  • 30-12-2004 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

hy all,

Here is my latest website, let me know what you think, Is there anything I could change etc...

WorldFreelancers.com

Cheers.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deep_end

joePC wrote:
    hy all,

Here is my latest website, let me know what you think, Is there anything I could change etc...

WorldFreelancers.com

Cheers.....

Very nice. Full of life and successful

Good lack. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Nice, I like it, although I would make the yellow (dont mind me if its not yellow, im colour blind) text darker, seems a little to bright, apart from that I like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It is a clean layout, but I can't say I like the colours. I find the green & yellow tints a little harsh (but that's just personal preference, I guess). I also find the green "Buy Services", "Provide Services", etc. links very hard to read, as are the "Silver", "Gold", etc. I think the space to the East of "About Us" looks funny. On login.php, the 2 boxes are different heights, and it's not clear that the left box text is a list of links. The HTML is not valid either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Thanks for the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The green and yellow colours go together (and blend) very nicely. The rest of the page looks very clean and organised, which is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You need to check your spelling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I'd change are the Buy Services Provide Services link text, maybe lose the drop shadow black behind them, make them sharper somehow.

The About Us button looks like it was added in afterwards because it was forgotten originally. I would always have a 'Home' link as the first link, as that is where most look for it.

I don't like the big grey blank bar up the top, it doesn't really frame the page well.

Also, the flash banner seems redundant,why not just a static image? and perhaps the big main World Freelancers text up the top could be a bit more exciting.

Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it wouldn't be to my taste: i always have respect for peeps who go with a primarily green design, because any time I go near green things seem to go wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

This may seem like a strange comment to make, but I think you should rethink the way you work.

From what I can see, you seem to be taking a very surface-heavy view of design. I could give you a list of ways of improving the visual design of that site, but that's not what needs to be improved the most.

I think the structure of the site, and of the site pages, could do with significant overhaul. I think this is where you are letting your visitors down the most, and letting yourself down if you expect to make a commission from the site.

Looking at the homepage, it's very difficult to figure out what the site is about. It's not obvious, and it's not obvious what to do from this page. You should work to guide and empower the user. To do this, you need to think about the tasks they will want to accomplish on the site. The user needs to do a fair amount of work to figure out the site, and this is a bad thing.

I'm guessing you have two main groups of users; those who wish to put work up for bidding and those who wish to bid for work. Look to support the tasks these users are likely to want to do; look for available work, bid for work, place work up for bidding.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of those you expect to be using the site. Even better, try and get some sample users to look at the site and observe where they succeed and where they fail. This link (indeed much of this site) should be helpful: http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archive/2002/09/usability-studies.php

You should definitely break the text on the about page into paragraphs.

I'm writing a series of articles on my blog, the first is Making a Start. It's a running commentary on my redesign efforts, from the ground up; I think it will be useful to you. I'll be posting another this week, and should be posting a new one at least once a week.

A good book to purchase would be The Elements of User Experience, by Jesse James Garrett.

Advertisement