Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding cap during 3 month utv free trial

• 30-12-2004 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Just got notified by UTV that i'm approaching my 8gb limit. I'm still on the 1st month of the free trial. Anybody know do they enforce their limits during the trial period?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mirage wrote:
    Just got notified by UTV that i'm approaching my 8gb limit. I'm still on the 1st month of the free trial. Anybody know do they enforce their limits during the trial period?

If they have notified you its very reasonable to assume that they are already enforcing it! So be careful as UTV charge people for exceeding the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

We've just got the Utv broadband. I'm downloading a lot of video. Is the limit 8 g a month? How much do they charge u after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

A lot...
    Breaking the Cap is breaking the contract.. they can charge what they see fit as you broke the original deal.

My advise... dont break it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's 1.5c a megabye after you over the cap I think. That will add up VERY quickly. (Going 1GB over will set you back €15 for example). If you expect to be going over the cap regularly, then I would heavily recommend you get Clicksilver Plus as for that €15 you will get an extra 8gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

Nasty! is there a way to see how close to the limit u are? n does just browsing or looking at trailers etc add to your download capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Go to http://www.u.tv/utvclicksilver . On the left you will see a link "My Account". After logging in you will see a link on the left "Bandwidth usage". There will also be an option for them to turn off your internet connection after you go over the cap rather than keeping you and charging you.

What I hate is the bastards cut you off the byte you go over. IOL on the other hand give you quite a bit of leeway and only cut you off if you consistently go over by a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mirage

Well i got the old UTV reserve the right email from them when I enquired whether they would charge me considering I would was still on the free trail, so I am waiting to see if they bill me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stark wrote:
    Go to http://www.u.tv/utvclicksilver . On the left you will see a link "My Account". After logging in you will see a link on the left "Bandwidth usage". There will also be an option for them to turn off your internet connection after you go over the cap rather than keeping you and charging you.

What I hate is the bastards cut you off the byte you go over. IOL on the other hand give you quite a bit of leeway and only cut you off if you consistently go over by a lot.

On the other hand it can take three days before UTV can log your exceeding the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Well i work with a guy who had his trail with another very simlar company and he downloaded 44gb in the last month of his trail without a word said to him...

Well i work with a guy who had his trail with another very simlar company and he downloaded 44gb in the last month of his trail without a word said to him...

Totally irrelevant - he is asking about UTV - UTV charge its as simple as that!

Not alone that but if you opt to go on the higher Clicksilver product they will expect you to sign up for an additional 12 month contract even though such a move costs them nothing!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Diabolus wrote:
    A lot...
    Breaking the Cap is breaking the contract.. they can charge what they see fit as you broke the original deal.

My advise... dont break it...

It's not breaking the contract. Go get your facts straight.

Logged in and checked on 2nd Jan and they've reset me to 0mb again even though I thought my service began on the 12th of December. So it would apprear the capacity is monitored for each calander month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Swain

mirage wrote:
    Logged in and checked on 2nd Jan and they've reset me to 0mb again even though I thought my service began on the 12th of December. So it would apprear the capacity is monitored for each calander month.

Can anyone confirm this as mine seems to gone down since the start of the month.

Apart from that do they include uploads in the cap? If they do I have 2 gigs uploaded and only half a gig downloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

dub45 wrote:
    Totally irrelevant - he is asking about UTV - UTV charge its as simple as that!

Not alone that but if you opt to go on the higher Clicksilver product they will expect you to sign up for an additional 12 month contract even though such a move costs them nothing!!!!!

wait wait wait, if you sign up for their 16gb download service, will they automatically sign you up for 12 month? isn't it a trial?

Uploads do not appear to be considered in your cap

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

mirage wrote:
    Uploads do not appear to be considered in your cap

Thanks be to god:)

CyberGhost wrote:
    wait wait wait, if you sign up for their 16gb download service, will they automatically sign you up for 12 month? isn't it a trial?

The point I was making is that if you are on the lower Clicksilver product and ask to be transferred to Clicksilver plus UTV will require that you commit to a further 12 month contract. (This requirement also applies if you change down). There is no wholesale charge to UTV of upgrading a customer there is a wholesale charge of c15 euros for downgrading.

If you sign up for a trial of Clicksilver plus from the beginning then thats all it should be a trial. I am not sure if they will let you change products during the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Swain wrote:
    Can anyone confirm this as mine seems to gone down since the start of the month.

Yes it is by calendar month no matter what date you start your trial/sub at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Swain

Cheers.

Advertisement