Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phantom stream with linux?

Options
  • 30-12-2004 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Just wondering if anyone listens to phantom on their linux box. If so, what do you use to get the stream? I keep trying codecs that don't seem to work for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

I tried it with something called asfplayer a year or so ago, under SuSE (it's a regular
    SuSE package), and apparently MPlayer will play most Windoze Media formats.

I don't have enough of a need to listen to the Phantom web stream to mess about with
    Linux software (or just give up and use a Windoze PC).
    Whereas I can happily surf MP3 and Ogg streams from all over the world using xmms.

You could try lobbying Phantom to use a more open streaming format (anything is more
    open than WMA/ASF/ASX, MP3 sucks less than Real, and Ogg sucks less than MP3),
    but the choice of format might be up to Irish Broadband, who are doing the streaming.

Advertisement