Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Eircom problem (longish)

Options
  • 30-12-2004 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

I posted recently that my phone line went weird on the Monday before last and ever since I can't connect to the internet at more than a snails pace for 5 mins at a time. Anyway the local guy comes out and tells me the line is fine must be yur computer thats the prob. IT IS NOT. But to prove the point I takes my machine and modem up to me mates next door and I connect to the net faster than I ever have done before in my own home :mad:

So I rings up 1901 to report the fault and maybe ask for a little help. Is
    the line fine for speaking the somewhat snotty person on the line asks, "well it's alright" says I. Aha mistake. She spies a way out of the conversation "Eircom does not guarantee the quality of the line for data transmission ring tech support".

But.....
    "Eircom does not guarantee the quality of the line for data transmission
    ring tech support".
    No can u just tell....
    ring tech support"
    I jus....
    ring tech support"

Argh!

So I ring tech support and get a real nice bloke on the line who
    sympathetically tells me I'm buggered because it's a line quality problem
    and thats something he can't help me with but also tells me thats it's
    unlikely I will get Eircom to do anything either.

Basically I'm between a rock and a hard place and given I've never been
    here before I'm not enjoying it much.

Does anyone who works for Eircom (like Azezil) or anyone else have any advice on how I can rectify this situation because I can't accept that my line was fine one day and unusable (for the internet) the next. I'm gonna ring again at lunch time and ask to speak to a supv if I can altho I don't know how successful that approach will be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

(Moving)

An old trick is to ring up the line faults line, loudly crunching a crisp packet in the background, and tell them your call quality is very poor. They're obliged to fix the line if it can't even take voice calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Also make sure your internal wiring is OK .. remove everything beyond the master socket and try again. If its OK, then is a dodgy device or your internal wiring. If it's not OK, do you know of any neighbours that just got a new phone line (it could be that your line was just split to serve that neighbour)? If you are really stuck you could get an ISDN line (if your line supports it).. but that's additional expense.

Rule out internal wiring, and then follow Seamus' advice (or slightly loosen the handset chord and jiggle it around while talking to give a more authentic crackle!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

I would try ringing them and saying that the line is screwed, put up a radio and let the hiss intefer with the line, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

already ruled put the internal wiring prob.... I can only figure that the gain has been turned way down or the line split. I have been thinking that I'll try for ISDN but will my new problem affect the site survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I'm am eircom employee and we get this a fair bit but it's true once you are able to use the telephone ok then you wont get much assistance.

• Advertisement

Which is completely unfair imo. It's head wrecking given Sunday line was fine and all was good with the world then Monday gone and all I'm getting is tough. I mean I don't mind having to pay to fix it ya know..... It's not like I'm asking for some big favour off Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I know it's unfair but they arent the most customer focused company in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm telling ya mate i had the exact same problem, kept getting that ****e as well, stick to your guns, demand to speak to a supervisor and you will get it :)

They pulled the same ****e on us, after a lot of arguing we got back on a single line. And would be worth your while saying the quality of the phone services is poorer too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

pm sent

Thanks for the PM gonker. Also to everyone else the line has completely crapped up even for voice so there was obviously some underlying problem. The fault has been reported and hopefully we can get this sorted. Also my next door neighbour has also lost their phoneline as well so it's not just me :) Fingers crossed I wil have all this sorted soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement