Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2005 - Your Wishlist

Options
  • 30-12-2004 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

We're about to find ourselves in 2005, so what do you want to see in 2005 in relation to broadband/telecoms in Ireland ?

As well as what you ideally want, want do you think is achievable in 2005 ? Also how are you going to help in acheiving what you want ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A reasonably priced 2MB+ ADSL package.

I think it's achievable, but I don't think it will happen because Eircom don't think it's in their interest. What am I going to do to achieve it? Pester them until they introduce it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

- lower land line montly fee (or a very much reduced data-only phone line)
    - working LLU in H1 2005 with much reduced price that will open competition and drive prices down, allow more tiered packages and higher speed
    - working VOIP numbers allocation and use (should this not be working in Q4 04 originally?)

how to achieve? forcing eircom to open the market/lower prices.

wifi and similar models are neat but primary focus should be put on the big(er) cities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• 33Kbps Dial up for anyone who wants it, as long as they have a phone line
    • Higher upstream DSL packages
    • Lower prices for high-end DSL packages
    • WiMax to become a reality
    • Reduction in phone line rental for those who have a sub-standard phone line
    • USO minimum data rate. Tiered over the next 3 years would be a bit more practical. Say 19Kbps, 28Kbps, 33Kbps.
    • DSL Port Transfers process to be more transparent, and with less downtime (i.e. no more "It's eircom's fault" - "It's Esat's fault")
    • Always on (literally) analogue line / internet access pricing (for those that can't get DSL, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

damien.m wrote:
    We're about to find ourselves in 2005, so what do you want to see in 2005 in relation to broadband/telecoms in Ireland ? As well as what you ideally want, want do you think is achievable in 2005 ?

A miracle. But realistically (and yes, I know I haven't mentioned wireless here) these jump to mind:
    • Less strict broadband line tests. Why do we have a 2.5km limit, and the UK doesn't? Why would this cost Eircom any money to implement? And tested more frequently. 4 weeks to get a line test? Come on...
    • LLU prices slashed. With something very sharp.
    • FIA defined. Costs nothing for Comreg to do it.
    • More cheap, no-frills broadband services. An IP address and bandwidth is all I need. I don't need an e-mail address, web space, "content", virus scanner or any other fluff. I dislike Ryanair greatly, but if somebody like them came in and did a Ryanair-of-broadband, it'd be interesting anyway.
    • A compensation system for people when their line fails DSL tests, such as massively reduced dial-up fees. Why pay E30 for dial-up bundles when others are getting 24/7 BB for the same price and same line rental? Might spur certain people into investing in the network.
    • Comreg to get over themselves and admit the overall situation is not good, and to audibly ask for more powers from the Minister. They're supposed to be politically independent, aren't they? Isn't that the whole point?
    • Better promotion of alternative voice service providers - there's still an awful lot of inertia out there.
    damian.m wrote:
    Also how are you going to help in acheiving what you want ?

Well, if Eircom ever gets around to testing my 400 metre long brand new line connected to a brand new exchange and it passes, I'll reclaim at least half of the 24 hours spent weekly commuting. Not sure what I could do, but hey, I'm willing to read lots of dull stuff :)

I'd also be happy to throw in a couple of euro at random intervals to help with the FOI charges, etc. After all, IrelandOffline helped get me a phone line months before I otherwise would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just want my line to be fixed on my broadband enabled exchange so that i can get broadband any broadband would do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Functional Internet Access for everyone .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Being on the committee with nothing to do, because there's nothing to complain about :D

School bb scheme leveraged to use GBS to give every rural town and village wireless BB in 18 months

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Higher upstream DSL packages
    Lower prices for high-end DSL packages
    WIMAX or some similar technology available in every part of the country
    Interleaving to be turned off once and for good on adsl / radsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

WiMax to be lauched

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

damien.m wrote:
    Also how are you going to help in acheiving what you want ?

This time I put it in bold. Not being smart folks, but it's pretty obvious now that if we want something in the telecoms environment we have to kick and scream to get it. There's a few of us busting our guts for hours each and every day, but if any of our wishes are going to become a reality everyone that wants this has to contribute.

So, with those wishes that you want, how will you help make sure they happen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Being Realistic, im not going to start with 2mb dsl lines or anything.

I think maybe the most achivable stuff would be introducing a 256k package like the uk, which is under the presumption that the range would be a lot longer and would reach out to more internet users, 256k is still a big jump from 56k, 64k or 128k isdn.

Think of it as a starter package, most people dont see the need for a 512k service at current prices. If you get people hocked on a 256k service they can enjoy faster speeds and an always on service so they can truely unlock the information super highway.

I think everyone has made a good attempt at arguing 2meg dsl, but your going down to 2.5k radius or something ? What will happen eventually if we go that direction is we will get ultimatly high speed internet connections but go out of sub-urban areas and it will be back in the dark ages of communication with 56k or isdn ! i know people who cant even get isdn!

I think comreg have a very big part to play in shaping up irelands future telecomunications industry, they will have to empose stricter rules and inforce them showing no mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In any ordinary country, a decent telecommunications system would be taken for granted but in Ireland, it's near impossible for many rural people simply to get a reliable internet connection. All I wish is for internet that doesnt take 10 minutes on occasions simply to connect to, at a consistent speed and which doesnt cost an arm and a leg to use (€100 for internet charges on our last bi-monthly bill).

Though I'm not on a pairgained line, most of my neighbours further up my road are and this practice is widespread throughout Ireland. We all know that near universal broadband coverage (by any means) at a low(ish) price has been achieved in other countries and we can take heart in this, because it means that if we all try hard enough, we will eventually have success.

For my part, I have sent emails to various bodies (politicans, eircom, comreg, the local press etc.) asking for change and I hope I am doing my little bit for the organisation by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i regularly email ministers and local td's especially when they claim everyone can get broadband never had a reply yet though if anyone can come up with a better suggestion i'm all ears apart from destroying old eircom equipment on a systematic basis so they have to replace it. (this has crossed my mind as there is a large white box on apole after which all lines fail -i'm assuming that this is some booster box which filters out dsl signals.)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

1) Joined up thinking by this Gubmt, especially where it comes to the rollout of the Schools BB Scheme and the GBS.

2) BB for myself :)

What I am doing about it.............

1) Have talked to the folks within the DCMNR responsible for both the GBS and Schools schemes to point how they could help each other. The response was that decisions have been made, will be announced soon, and will not be changed even if it would make sense to do so.

2) Co-ordinating a GBS scheme I think that it is a national disgrace that we need to resort to this type of mechanism to get BB.

The complete lack of vision in our politician's would be funny if it were not for the adverse impact it has on all of our lives. I have contacted many politico's on a variety of telecoms related issues and found the majority to be clueless, or totally indifferent. I would even go as far as to say we could replace the whole lot of them with some of the monekys in Dublin Zoo, and get better results.

Just my 2c

M.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, broadband in 99% of the country (100% is possibly pushing it :D ) be it with DSL, WiMax or whatever! I'm fed up with 64k and the cost therein! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    I think that it is a national disgrace that we need to resort to this type of mechanism to get BB.

Whilst such high dudgeon will easily win favour here, I wonder what you would say to those who stand to get a ~2Mb symmetric >€40pm connection via GBS funding, because the ones I've talked to appear to have lost their appetite for righteous indignation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Xian,

I'm glad that the folks you are working with are able to enjoy their BB connection. My point is simple: we should not have to be out on the streets encouraging people to express an interest in BB, then find an ISP who is willing to provide a service, then deal with the red tape to get a grant to bring BB to the area.

In any forward thinking society the Government have recognised the importance of BB and are providing it without their citizens having to beg for it. If you really believe that a GBS is the best way for a society to bring BB to its citizens then your world is a lot different than mine.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Mr_Man wrote:
    In any forward thinking society the Government have recognised the importance of BB and are providing it without their citizens having to beg for it. If you really believe that a GBS is the best way for a society to bring BB to its citizens then your world is a lot different than mine.
    Without the risk of sounding like a politician, the telco landscape in Ireland is dictated by market forces. Fact.

Small communities will be ignored unless there is a ready market of BB users identified for the ISPs. Fact.

While the GBS attempts to empower communities who want BB and provides subsidised capex to incentivise an ISP, it is not completely perfect and the subsequent planning stages of a service may not go according to plan at all (á la Kinnegad). Refinement of the GBS is required and acknowledged by the Dept. and they are making steps in the right direction to address this.

Viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Huggy Bear

Keep it simple .. broadband for everyone !
    not 2m not 1M speeds, 512k would do nicely ... or anything to beeaaat tthhee 24k most peeoooppplllleee geeeet !

thx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KISS

Fixed price dial up / ISDN (ie. not metered, not free for the first hour of call etc.)

ISDN users to have free back channel 9Kb all the time, and only pay for 64K

All new lines to be ADSL or ISDN capable

Minimum dial up standard to be set at 28.8
    possible exemptions for extreme cases - 14.4 but to a max of 1% of lines that are over 5Km from the exchange.

Naked ADSL - so don't have to pair Eircom for phone rental if you don't use it.
    Also ISPs who are also phone providers not to be allowed to block VOIP ports/destinations.

Clarification on EU rules allowing people to share their Broadband, even if they aren't allowed to resell it.

No Caps on Broadband - bandwidth shaping instead. ie. if you go over your limit then your connection gets slower instead of the ISP charging you more.
    An option to pay per MB over and above would have to be signed separatly.

And of course
    Mandatory jail sentences for sales reps who lie to get more commision. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Naked ADSL - so don't have to pair Eircom for phone rental if you don't use it.

Here's the thing though, you're still using the copper line. That's what line rental should be exclusively used for - maintaining the network. I'm all for naked dsl services, but I think it's unviable to demand that no line rental be paid for it.

What should happen is that line rental is totally restructured so that it is no longer used by eircom to subsidise other parts of their business. Then you could deduct a certain amount of that new rate when the line is used soley for dsl services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Off topicness (Mediasat/WiMax/Satellite) moved to this thread

Back on topic .. as for how we are going to achieve it.. Personally, I'll seek advice/direction, as I don't feel I have the weight (not literally, unfortunately I do have in the literal sense) to be heard. I have County Councilor and one or 2 TD connections (1.5 really), whom are sick of me going on about it. So as to how I'll achieve it .. I can't single-handly, but I will donate a share of my time to an organisation that can :)

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

*Bump*

Advertisement