Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Cap on Esat Broadband

• 30-12-2004 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I remember years ago reading there was something like a 300 minute cap on how long u could be logged into your broadband connection in Ireland. It could very well have been for another isp such as eircom. But is this still the case, will i be charged if i'm always logged into the net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

You are probably getting mixed up with dial-up access. Broadband is "always-on" - you can stay connected for as long as you want. There were dial-up packages that allowed 300 minutes per month etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Nope...believe me I ain't getting mixed up. I studied computers at degree level and am doing a masters in networks. I know what broadband is. But there was something mentioned in the documentation when broadband first came out in Ireland that there was a limit to the amount of time u could stay connected. Presumably it has something to do with keeping contention ratios down or something. Obviously though if no one knows about this it no longer applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Simply because you studied poxy computers at degree level and are doing a masters in networking does not mean you are not getting mixed up or misheard something.

*Im not saying you are mixed up, I am just saying that has nothing to do with the fact you studied computers because every man and his dog knows what broadband is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cheesedude you're coming across as pretty rude :P

I know Esat had a timeout on connections (it would disconnect if no traffic was sent for a certain amount of time) when they started residential DSL, this was because they had a limited amount of IP's available at the time. I think that was only for a short time though.

You could always use dyndns if you need your computer to always be 'always up'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ah fair enough! :D

• Advertisement

@cheesedude I didnt want to come accross as snotty but I was simply trying to establish that I wasnt a "noob" and didnt get confused over what type of internet service I was reading up about. I remember thinking to myself at the time how contradictory it was to have an "always on" internet connection that was capped at so many hours. Maybe I misread what it said but i'm fairly sure I didnt as I read it a number of times.

@etho_ Maybe that was it although I thought it was in the form of a cap of so many hours a month.

No there was never a cap of X hours per month.

Sweet, Thanks for the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

300 min is what 5hrs?
    I've seen dsl connection stay connected for 3-4weeks +
    oh well....

sorry, i meant hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

UTV disconnect (me anyway) exactly 48 hours after logging on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

John R wrote:
    UTV disconnect (me anyway) exactly 48 hours after logging on.

Dont take it personally :) UTV do it for everyone afaik it has something do with recording the downloads of customers. It has always seemed a contradiction to me that they sell the service as 'always on'!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

qBot wrote:
    sorry, i meant hrs.

300hrs is still only 12/13 days
    Generally DSL will stay connected for whatever you can get..shouldn't be limited atleast from my experience
    I can't speak for UTV though, never dealt with them...but from dealing with dsl lines/accounts at work I've seen some connected for weeks on end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

my eircom line has a timeout of 300 minutes but as long as there is traffic on the line it stays connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I think the original poster was talking about DHCP lease-times, which would not be renewed with the same IP when the lease expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UTV do disconnect users every 48 hours but its not noticeable. Its only done as that's they only way they can monitor how much you're downloading. They get a radius accounting packet from the dslam when you are disconnected.

SyxPak wrote:
    I think the original poster was talking about DHCP lease-times, which would not be renewed with the same IP when the lease expired.

I hardly think so, if he's doing a masters in networks i'd imagine he knows the difference between an idle timeout and DHCP lease times.

At least i'd hope he does :)

Advertisement