Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vpn client software

• 30-12-2004 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

is there any free vpn clients that i can download, i'm trying to connect to a netgear firewall with a laptop using 56k? the inbuilt xp Vpn dial up is not working out for me

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which VPN ?

ie. does the firewall have a build in VPN or is the VPN setting only there to allow VPN packets to pass through the firewall ??

in windows pptp is built in (make sure is 128 bit and fully patched - also if an NT4 PC make sure to make a repair disk first and re-apply SP6a before rebooting)
    cipe and zebedee have windows implementations too
    not sure about using freeswan in windows

if you have a commercial VPN then you would most likley to need thier client which most likely you have to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

openvpn works pretty well and is available on quite a few platforms:

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

alright thanks guys, the site has a NetGear firewall and router combination. They've only got 1 static internet Ip at the mo. Ive ordered more for now, and I also need to get hold of a Netgear vpn client.

Also, just a quicky.. is PassThrough considered to be the same as DMZ? Its just the router they have does not have 'passthrough', only DMZ and I was wondering if there is much difference

Advertisement