Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigging!

Options
  • 30-12-2004 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

in your opinion, whats the best way to get people to go to your gigs?

i'm not talking about inviting everyone you know, because after a while that gets annoying i'm sure. also without much money behind you or mainstream radio play....

posters?
    radio ads?
    flyers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

ummm.. i know it sound silly.. but actual gigging.. if ppl keep seeing r palying gigs i think they are more inclined to go! its liek oh i recognise the name of the band.. they are palying all over the place.. i'll go see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

In ireland, it has to be word of mouth, and every gig needs to be tip top, a bad gig can really really do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

some radio play is the key. find out what dj's play your type of music and send them copies of your disc. its the best way to get people to hear you.

you could also go about doing loads of supports and showcase gigs in the hope that other people's fans will be interested in your bands music too.

in my experience in dublin not many people go to gigs unless they already know the band, its a pity but you cant blame them when a night out in town is sooooo expensive.

another thing to do is offer your songs free to download on the intermacweb, people might hear them and like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

cheers pbelly.
    what gigs can a band play that isn't pay to play though?

best idea i reckon is to book your own gigs and ask a few bands to play on the bill. cut the costs of renting the venue/posters etc between the bands and go for it, most of the time you'll at least break even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

i might send a cd to the noise party guys.
    how could i rent the village? just call them up?
    cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

I'd say actually playing good music would be an excellent way to get people to see a band, either that or give out free LSD.

i might send a cd to the noise party guys.
    how could i rent the village? just call them up?
    cool.

you wont get whelans/ the village unless they are guaranteed a crowd, they're kinda the toughest venues to book in town. better to try the hub or the sugar club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

And if your playing the Hub you better be good! You never take a sh*t in someone's back garden....

Advertisement