Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Issue

• 30-12-2004 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

ok well i'm 21 i have been working part-time in a petrol station shop for the past four years. the money is crap but its handy for college and stuff.
    anyway, i do a minimum of 3 full shifts a week and more often than not am called in to cover other people's shifts....which is fine.

thing is we got our christmas bonuses recently and to be quite honest i'm well pissed off. i only got mine today but a few of the other part-timers got theirs last week. i got €100 which i was quite happy with...until i found out that some of the other part-timers (who work less shifts than me) got €200.
    suffice to say i was pissed off because i have never had any problems in there and one of the girls that got the extra money has been working here for 2 months and can only work 20 hours a week due to some social benefits she gets or something. Another guy who got it has been fired twice and is on his last warning for being late opening up. he has also been working in the place less than me. another girl is 16 and has been there 2 years and does a shift and a half a week and she also got the extra money.
    there are a few other part-timers who do one shift a week at the weekend and while some of them got 100, others only got 50, which is causing a bit of tension between them too.

i understand that its a "bonus" and is therefore at the bosses discretion and im sure i sound like a total whinger but im totally pissed off. surely it should be done more fairly than that. i do my work and im on time and get on fine with everyone. maybe im over-reacting but they way i see it they clearly dont think much of me after 4 years.

to top it off, the manager (not the big boss that does the bonuses) told me on monday that there'd be "a little extra in there" for me on top of my bonus and when i asked why he said "ah well, you know you're here a long time"
    and then i get half of what the others are getting!

we were all talking about it in work today as nobody is happy at the moment so a few of the girls suggested calling a meeting with the boss to bring it up. personally i dont see the point because it is a "bonus" at the end of the day and any other time we have a meeting for stuff (like not getting minimum wage, not having a manager on the premises at the weekend and basically being responsible for all the cashing up) it winds up with one or two people saying stuff and then getting an earful for it and then nothing gets done.

i like working there as the workmates are great and its close to home but im seriously considering leaving.

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

that's not on... talk to the bossman about it,, especially the guy who told you you'd be getting a lil more, he might be able to sort you out.. i wouldn't let that rest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd say ask him about it, but don't come across as too angry or confrontational.

It seems a bit odd that you'd get less, while being a better employee (who's also there much longer, which you assume would be rewarded).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Don't let the boss think you've been calmed by his sweet talk. Complain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Is this bonus getting confused with holiday pay? Did you get your 4 weeks holiday pay this year. I used work in petrol station and I got 2 weeks summer holiday pay and also 2 weeks at Christmas. Just check that.

Not necessarily 4 weeks. But you should have 8% of your total yearly salary paid to you as holiday pay.

bmarley wrote:
    But you should have 8% of your total yearly salary paid to you as holiday pay.

not true, not all jobs will pay you holiday pay at the end of the year.. trust me.. bastards:mad:

• Advertisement

Its the law newband. In past years used to get it around my birthday(why i remember) which was 31st march. Beginning of tax year on 1st April. This recently enough changed to 31st December. We used to get holiday pay of 50 punts at the time not knowing what we were entitled to, until someone found out and spoke out about it. He didn't last to long after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

hehe holiday pay!!! are you joking!! i get e55 for an 8 and a half hour shift......now if you work that out its not minimum wage. also, i dont get a pay slip, i get my money out of the till. when we complained about not getting minimum wage, we were given some brutal excuse about "group tax" being paid by our boss blah blah blah. anyway, we were told that we had to "give in order to get" and as per usual nobody said anything else after that.
    we get the same basic pay on bank holidays, christmas eve and new years eve. the last time i brought it up i told my manager that i was going to leave for another job unless he sorted the wages out. he decided he would give me extra money but i wasnt allowed to tell anyone......that didnt last very long as i thought it was unfair so i told the rest of the staff and they kicked up and got the extra aswell. also, when im training in somebody new, at teh end of the shift i hand them the same money that im getting myself.

its just one thing after another in there. he recently got fined for underage staff yet he still does nothing to sort the place out. then to make it worse he treats his staff like crap. i think i have just made up my mind about leaving. its definitely not worth it. this bonus crap is just the last straw.

i'd love to report the money-hungry git. :mad:

hehe holiday pay!!! are you joking!! i get e55 for an 8 and a half hour shift......now if you work that out its not minimum wage. also, i dont get a pay slip, i get my money out of the till. when we complained about not getting minimum wage, we were given some brutal excuse about "group tax" being paid by our boss blah blah blah. anyway, we were told that we had to "give in order to get" and as per usual nobody said anything else after that.
    we get the same basic pay on bank holidays, christmas eve and new years eve. the last time i brought it up i told my manager that i was going to leave for another job unless he sorted the wages out. he decided he would give me extra money but i wasnt allowed to tell anyone......that didnt last very long as i thought it was unfair so i told the rest of the staff and they kicked up and got the extra aswell. also, when im training in somebody new, at teh end of the shift i hand them the same money that im getting myself.

its just one thing after another in there. he recently got fined for underage staff yet he still does nothing to sort the place out. then to make it worse he treats his staff like crap. i think i have just made up my mind about leaving. its definitely not worth it. this bonus crap is just the last straw.

well in all fairness.. it doesn't even look like you're paying tax, if you're not legally on the books, then legally, you have no rights anyway..

not got a leg to stand on mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

bmarley wrote:
    not got a leg to stand on mate.

well im not talking about legal action here or anything. its just a crappy part-time job and when i say i'd love to report him i mean for the tax dodging he's doing. as far as i know the company is registered under three different names for tax purposes.

i guess the purpose of the post was more of a "should i bring it up or just leave" type thing.

• Advertisement

I was in a similar situation to you not so long ago. I got fired for one reason or another. Considered reporting the company for various reasons. I decided not to for the fact I wasn't arsed and how would I find it easy to get another job in this town. Business people have influence and it would only take 1 phone call from your ex-manager to stop you keeping that job. I understand your pissed off at moment but it will pass. Put it down to experience. Also I don't think you should leave your job until you have something else lined up. Not too easy getting a job this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think the Work forum is more apt for this Issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

First thing would be to take this up face to face with the Boss individually and see his reaction. Your best form of attack is to say you are disappointed that he doesn't value the loyality and the hard work that you have put in for him.

Of course at the same time you need to look for another job as you are being employed illegally both from the point of view of not going through the books legally and you are not being paid minimum wage.

I would also shop this guy to the revenue as what he is doing is illegal and as a citizen of this country he should be paying all taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i guess it really depends on what type of a person you are.

from a legal standpoint, you dont have anything.

from the point of view of as an employee, you could say you are unhappy with your bonus.

and thats about it.
    your boss could turn around and say 'oh hey, i didnt realise, heres some more', or he could tell you to0 go away.
    if you want to continue working there, then take a softly softly approach. if you dont give a monkeys, take a softly softly approach, and if you dont get anywhere, just quit on the spot and shop him in.

thats about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

bmarley wrote:
    Considered reporting the company for various reasons. I decided not to for the fact I wasn't arsed and how would I find it easy to get another job in this town.

Is it any wonder that these tossers get away with this stuff when they know that half the gob****es they employ won't bother reporting them for such trivialities as not being paid the legal minimum wage, not paying taxes etc? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They may of made an error you never know. Best thing to do is just ask. You said that your wage was increased for some reason but you were told not to tell the others but you told them anyways as it was unfair.

Maybe the owners remembered this and took into account the extra expenditure you cost them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ask him about it and if he sorts it out then fine you get extra money and then you can leave... :p

Advertisement