Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NIMBY

• 11-04-2001 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

The classic 'not in my back yard' behaviour of the residents of Lispopple in picketing the facility that the EHB want to house a dozen psychiatric patients in, disgusts me.

Any photo you see they have placards over their faces or baseball caps pulled low as if they are ashamed of their behaviour. So they should be. Or could it be that they want to be bigoted and uncaring without revealing their identities as 'pillars of the community'.

These patients need to be housed somewhere to help them and to help in reintegrating them into the community but it seems these people would prefer they are simply fu<ked out on the street and left to get on with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I agree castor.
    Sure it might not be the nicest situation or the fairest ( why did this happen to us ? seems to be said a good bit)
    but that is life.
    to think that if this place does go ahead
    that ONE thing can devalue al the houses around it. this has nothing to with the people living in the area i just find it funny that if the place doesn't go ahead the fact the supposed pIllars of community's picket would not devaule the propety around the area even though this behavor is far worse than any building or Medical building could do on its own !!!

ahh well back to my desk Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

So, you buy a house. 6months later a travellers halting site is built adjoining your back garden. A rehab clinic for heroin addicts is built accross the road. The value of your house drops by 30%.

Are you a) Happy about this.

b) Unhappy about this.

It's nimby but it's understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Did anyone mention those picketing the housing for the patients actually broke into the facility and vandalised it.

They are scum.

Its not a heroin rehab centre or anything, its just a house for non-dangerous recovering patients.

[This message has been edited by --Kaiser-- (edited 11-04-2001).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

True enough about the devaluing - but I can't see how a psyciatric "half-way house" setup is going to cause devaluations?

My Mum works as a house mother in a place like this in Castlebar and it's not caused any problems for anyone - certainly none of the local residents had any problem when it was first proposed. It's very sucessful. I've met a few of the residents and they're all a really good bunch - there have been slight problems, but nothing that'd cause grief to the local residents.

This is unacceptable - this from a country that's gonna be hosting the Special Olympics too! Will these pe0ns be protesting outside Croake Park at the opening ceremony? I think not! There's a lot of discrmination against the handicapped in this country - it needs to stop.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

you should hear the objections about the waste problem in cork.

There's a landfill site in an area of the city called Douglas that's coming to the end of it's life. It's a huge site, and the residents claim they were promised that it would be turned into a park once it was closed. Personnaly I wouldn't trust the coporation to do a proper job and wouldn't leave my kids near it. Another thing is that Douglas has a 'car culture'. No one walks anywhere. There's car parks all over it and people drive between them rather than walk for two minutes. I honestly don't believe anyone would use the park if it was built.

What the corporation\council want to do is build a waste treatment center on a quarter of the site. The plan is that rubbish from all over the county would be taken there, sorted for recycling, then the rest would be taken to a super-dump at another location. It's the first time I've ever heard of a proper waste management plan in this country, but what do Douglas residents say? NIMBY.

There's always going to be some crap near you, deal. The super-dump will be IMBY. I'm not happy about it but I accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Exact same thing is going on in Galway...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Reminds me of a situation in cork which made me feel physically sick. About a year ago now (god time flies) there were plans to house some refugees in the douglas region, and of course the locals didnt want that. So they went protesting on health grounds mad.gif like all the refugees were infected with some ebole/herpes cross breed or something. My god, WTF how small minded is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Douglas people are a bunch of *******s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement