Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD ran hard drive to P4 machine ?????

Options
  • 30-12-2004 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Any help on this would be very appreciated..... I want to move a hd from an old pc ( Compaq Presario ) to my new pc (Dell Dimension 4600 ). Would there be any problems considering that the old hd ran with an AMD Athlon and windows millenium and the new hd runs with a P4 and windows xp home ?
    It has some files on it I want to recover (they are all over 700 mb's so floppys are out of the question...
    Thanks in advance........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh it woill be grand,you just have to check the jumpers on the back of the old hd to make sure its set to slave and check the jumpers on the hd in your dell to make sure they are set to master(they should be anyway).
    but other than that you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

thanks man, We're going to do it now in a minute, i'll let you know how I get on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Thanks again dude, it worked a treat... no problems, except I can't find the files - they were on the desktop, so i think i could've lost them. Any way thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Doubt you've lost 'em. Don't wipe the drive yet! If they were on the desktop they should still be there, just hidden away in the Windows folder of the old hard drive. Try looking for a sub-folder called desktop. tis so long since i used a dos/windows like Me that I've nearly forgotten whether Me used to have the subfolder directly under Windows or if it was in a folder under the username under documents, but anyway I digress get the search function in the start menu of your Dell to look for folders named desktop on the old hard drive and you'll surely find your files again. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

your old hard drive should just come up as a separate drive...
    when you go into my computer you will have your hd from your dell(c:\ or whatever that may be) and then you'll have the hd from your old pc(possbily d:\ or e:\ depending on your cd drives). All your old files will be in this hd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement