Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB writing to files

Options
  • 30-12-2004 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

I open two files within one subroutine:

commandFilePath = CurDir & "\input.txt"
    commandOutFilePath = CurDir & "\output.txt"

' Open the file for reading
    Open commandFilePath For Input As #1

' Open the file for writing the results
    Open commandOutFilePath For Output As #2

'I also read data from the input file within this subroutine, this works fine
    Line Input #1, FileCommand

However, in another subroutine I try to write to the ouput file, but it gives me a bad filename/number error.

Print #2, "hello, this function is working!"

I think its something to do with the fact that I'm referencing the file from another subroutine. anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
    Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

commandFilePath = CurDir & "\input.txt"
    commandOutFilePath = CurDir & "\output.txt"
    If the variable name is local it can only be seen within that subroutine, if you make it global all subroutines can see it or you can pass the filename to the new subroutine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thats not really the problem. I want the file to be visible to all subroutines, not the path.

T'would be very messy for all subroutines to have to open the file themselves in order to add data to the file.

Is there any way they call all directly use the print function, like
    Print #2,"hello"

without having to open the file individually?

Cheers for the help so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

File and path in this case are pretty much synonymous. It is down to the scope of a variable. If you open a file say #1 in one subroutine, no other subroutine knows about it. If you do need all subroutines to see it then make it global. But to be honest there is no real need for a subroutine that has a specific task to write to a file as well. Call another subroutine anywhere you need to do that

eg

Sub 1

'Do one thing
    Call Print Routine
    end sub

sub2

'Do another thing
    Call Print Routine

end sub

Sub Print Routine
    Open "File" for Output as #1
    print #1 ,String
    Close #1

end sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I know its saying exactly the same thing a different way, but...

The path to the file is all each subroutine needs to know where the file is. So to
    make the path, which is a string variable, ummm lets call it sFilePath readable by all sub routines you have to make the scope of the variable (sFilePath) global. Otherwise is only accessible in the sub routine that declared it.

However you should have one routine that writes to the file, not multiple routines. You should make a function that writes to the file and call it within your other routines. Or have the main routine that calls all the subroutines and the file writing routine. Thats would be better IMO. Though since I haven't a clue of what your trying to achieve who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Thanks a million man, Couldn't see the wood for the trees there!

Gonna do a good deed tomorrow to spread the good karma :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'd prefer to wrap the file access in a class (presuming that just using FileSystemObject instead isn't reasonable, which alas it often isn't due to some limitations).

This can simplify the calls made in the various routines, and also the class can be built along RAII principles and hence the destructor can ensure it is closed even in the case of an error being raised.

Talliesin wrote:
    I'd prefer to wrap the file access in a class (presuming that just using FileSystemObject instead isn't reasonable, which alas it often isn't due to some limitations).

This can simplify the calls made in the various routines, and also the class can be built along RAII principles and hence the destructor can ensure it is closed even in the case of an error being raised.

I've not much experience of using classes, myself. What are RAII principles? Why advantages does a class give you over a function in terms of simplifying calls and in error handling?

I've not much experience of using classes
    Get practicing! IMO classes should be the second thing you learn about after you've learnt enough syntax and basics of using the IDE to build tutorial applications to learn about them
    What are RAII principles?
    http://www.hackcraft.net/raii/ is an article I wrote on this. Basicly the lifetime of the object of a class controls the obtaining and releasing of resources like file handles, memory (not much of a concern in VB), window handles etc.
    This centralises the burden of handling them in one piece of code, and also means that they are handled correctly even in the case of normal program flow being interupted (such as when an error is raised) without fiddly code to account for each place this could possibly happen.

Talliesin wrote:
    Get practicing! IMO classes should be the second thing you learn about after you've learnt enough syntax and basics of using the IDE to build tutorial applications to learn about them....

Never had time, too busy on live projects. But thanks for the link. :)

Never had time, too busy on live projects. But thanks for the link. :)
    Well the reduction in complexity class-based design brings to projects above a certain size should be welcom ethen :)

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Well the reduction in complexity class-based design brings to projects above a certain size should be welcom ethen :)

I've started working with VB.NET at work and Java at college at night. So I'll let you know! ;)

Advertisement