Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse Engineering Database

Options
  • 30-12-2004 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi

I have a large Database in mySQL, and I’m trying to reverse engineer it to get some ERD diagrams so that I understand it better, has anyone done this successfully before?

I've tried using CASE Studio but I can't connect to the DB!

Any help would be appreciated

P.S. Its mySQL 4.1

A tool with an evaluation or free license would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

You could try DBDesigner. I've used it a good bit for database modelling - fantastic CASE tool, one of the best pieces of freeware I've seen in a while. It integrates well with MySQL - you can model up a database and then create it on your server with a single click. I haven't used that section of it, but as far as I know, it can also do the reverse, to some extent anyway, though it might have trouble with some relations. You'll get all the table structures at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Cheers NeverSayDie,

thats a great program, and it's free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

I use Visio. (ring up MS for a free eval copy). Point it at a database and it draws you a nice diagram with connecting lines based on foreign key constraints where these have been defined.

Advertisement