Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre question (fitting and ride quality)

Options
  • 30-12-2004 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I replaced a blown tyre last week and the guy doing the work commented on how tight a fit the 185 width tyre was on the rim. That thought popped into my head today as my car bumped and fidgeted over the broken roads. Should I get wider tyres? Are the curent ones (all 185/65 R15) just too tight and so not allowing room for the tyre to "give". Hence jittery ride quality?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

what car do you have and what type of wheels are on it?? (alloys etc?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

I would change to 195's or even 205's much better grip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The cars a mercedes 190e and its got Merc alloys - 7 inch wide. I did a check on a tyre site that gave tyres suitable for my car, they ranged from 185/60 to about 215/50. I dont want to go too wide with the dangers of aquaplaning and narrow roads. I have hit more cats eyes than I can count since I bought the Merc!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Well IMO 185's are too narrow for a car the size of a 190 - I reckon 195's would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'd go with the 195's as well, 205's have better grip in the dry but in the winter its negotiable whats best :)

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

$lash wrote:
    I would change to 195's or even 205's much better grip...

This is total 8ull****
    Grip has nothing to do with tyre width.
    All that wider tyres do is change the shape of the contact patch.
    The actual contact area size will not change even if you put a 300mm wide tyre on.
    What determines the contact area is Tyre pressure and weight.
    Wider Tyres make the steering appear sharper but can as has been pointed out cause aquaplaning.
    the other thing to watch out for is Bump steer and tramlining especially with the superlow profile tyres many people fit as aftermarket accessories.
    But anyway enough diatribe, Mike question was should I fit wider tyres?
    My reply is no 185 should be good enough for a 190e , but be aware that not all tyres are the same in terms of ride quality.Michelins/Bf Goodrich are good in my exp.
    Make sure that all the tyres are the same pressure and

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

i would go for quality 195 not bigger. no point to put big ones as beneffit of better grip would be minimal considering to cost

you need to have serious pulling power to roll these big rubbers and on normal engine, big wheels will lower top speed and slightly change fuel economy which is not the best on the merc anyway:)
    autoexpress did test and e.g. golf had top speed lower by 6km/h on bigger size tyres

Advertisement