Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximum tolerable ppm level of ammonia when fish tank cycling?

• 30-12-2004 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I am currently cycling my fish tank, and am wondering how high I should allow the ammonia and nitrite levels to go before doing a water change?

At the moment the ammonia is at 0.5ppm and the nitrite at 0ppm. I've read that an ammonia level of 2ppm is lethal for most fish, but I'm cycling with danios which are meant to be hardy.

And at what level should the ammonia and nitrite typically peak?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It will vary according to stock density, If you are worried just change a little water maybe 2 to 5 litres depending on the size of your tank.
    how long has the tank been cycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

5 danios, 2ft tank, been cycling for about a week now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You should be OK with a small water change now.
    Was this a green setup or did you carry over water from an older tank?
    If you have any mates with tanks get them to squeeze the filter out in a small amount of water and put that water in your own tank.
    This will help prime the tank as well.
    maybe ask your LFS to do this in order to help you speed your setup.
    I know the guys in FishFX in Dun Laoghaire are very helpful with this kind of thing.

Advertisement