Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Irish Identified yet!

• 30-12-2004 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Just posted this... but felt it deserved its own thread...

Just watching the news- 24 Irish definitely missing, Dan Mulhall (Ambassador to Thailand/Malaysia) is personally trying to track them down. OK the British have a much bigger diplomatic set-up here and hence have identified 28 Britons. Shouldn't Iveagh House be sending 30-40 people to help him?

Does anyone know if any are already on the way there?

Otherwise how many Irish families are going to end up never knowing... what happened, where it happened, where they were buried/cremated?

If it turns out there are even 2 lost Irish people it is likely because DOFF didn't get the finger out in time - or this is how it will be perceived.

They have already started burying the dead unknown! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

Saw it on Sky News Ireland, am surprised they dont ,send more staff out there to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how you know they are dead though as it's from a list of patients?

maybe i'm missing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Odds are there are least 10 out of 24 Irish dead. We can expect to reflect minimum of at least 10% of UK figure; so far 2.8. The DOFF should have ploughed at least 100K into this by 27/12/04 - translating into only 20 staff for just a few days... Because of their inaction - I think there is a high risk of Irish people being lost forever... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

On that note, isn't it heartwarming (esp. if you watch Sky news) just how little these natural disasters matter when rich western white people aren't involved?

Headline: 24 Irish people may or may not be missing! National tradgedy! What is the ambassador doing about it? Won't somebody think of the CHILDREN??

In other news, approx. 150,000 brown-coloured people are definantly dead, but they're brown and have no money so that's OK. Move along now, nothing to see here...

All day Sky are repeating the same question: What about the holidaymakers? Keep your messages coming in, provided you're white and well off enough to afford an expensive winter getaway to the far east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

For those that don't get my meaning there:

Shouldn't Iveagh House be sending people out to look for survivors EVEN IF THERE ARE NO WHITE RICH TOURISTS MISSING??

Don't think any Indonesian/Indian/Sri-Langkan/Thai politician will sh!t themselves over prospect of outrage that people disappeared due to inefficiency.

Think they might need to worry about this in Iveagh house tbh! Think about it - your relatives - fate completely unknown- simply because they never got the finger out!

If Samantha Mumba was among the missing - think there might have been more resources here - this isn't about skin colour its about relative importance - what they are saying to the families of the missing so far is - yer plebs now fúck off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

was watching sky news and it mentioned - along the bottom scroller - that a man from Dublin is safe and sound. So at least there is one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

In other news, approx. 150,000 brown-coloured people are definantly dead, but they're brown and have no money so that's OK. Move along now, nothing to see here...

Aaah, you stole what I was going to say :(
    (minus the brown part)

Heard there is one confirmed Irish dead (male) - The quality of the source is not concrete - the source lives in Roscommon and heard it through the grapevine... This was before 14:00 Irish time- this could be bullsh!t - on the news at 18:00 no mention of it. Is it bullsh!t or is DOFF playing a game here? Does anyone out there know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

May I suggest that most civil servants sent from Dublin would not have a clue on how to be effective in the Far East. The most competent people have to be those who are familiar with how local government functions in these places........the local ambassador and his staff.....and this is so extreme that local government is unable to function and the last thing they want are Dublin civil servants on, perhaps, a first posting.

The biggest problem will be a visit from one or both Ahern(e)s to 'view the scene for the next cabinet meeting'
    If Charlie Bird can go there so can Bertie....
    and now TG4 has their man there also but he can do bi-lingual reports and can ear wig in a third (mainland) language......

There was intense anger among stranded French people when M. Barnier , their Foreign Affairs minister visited because when some phoned their embassy in Bangkok seeking exit papers they were told that no one was available because everyone was busy taking care of (the boss) the minister!

Do have a look at this link and see what great Irish people are doing as spotted by the French media.....
    and also note Conor's efforts to find misssing people.....

http://saintpatricksbangkok.com/tsunami/viewtopic.php?t=35

Just heard they've found the body of Eilis Finnegan R.I.P. This is now day 9... according to sky there are 25 still missing, guess this hasn't been updated and translates to 24 still missing - 1 confirmed dead.

We now are sending army, DOFF staff out - arriving day 10 - 'nuff said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Is there a list of English missing ? I have a mate over there atm and still havent heard from him. Emailed him as soon as it happened

RasTa wrote:
    Is there a list of English missing ? I have a mate over there atm and still havent heard from him. Emailed him as soon as it happened
    Don't think this list will be published. Read today there are scumbags cleaning out people's houses who are listed as missing - happened in Sweden apparently! This and the paedophiles ffs - I just wish I could be more Anne Frank - now I think there are 3 types of people - Saints - people in general - and those in need of being dragged along a beach by a rope tied to their balls attached to - (preferably mine) a car doing at least 30mph! This would be until they become free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

i dont think ye should be mentioning names of dead poeple here especially if its not confirmed they are dead because if someone that knows them reads it here that isn't a good way to find out. yes i know the names are being released in the media but just in case.

Advertisement