Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolest gadget in a Car?

Options
  • 31-12-2004 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Well as the title says, whats the coolest gadget you've seen in a car or have in your own car?

In my car its

Pioneer 7600 Mp3 head unit
    Sony Ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth Car kit.

What i've seen

Touchscreen headunit
    playstation
    xbox
    tv's

push button start
    *cheese* fake dump valve sound at touch of button
    Clifford Alarm - remote start, turn on lights etc from a good distance

hydraulic shocks

Farlz

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

In Mine .

Sony Ericsson HCB-300 bluetooth Car kit
    Mavman iCN 630 Digital GPS Navigation

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Farls wrote:
    Well as the title says, whats the coolest gadget you've seen in a car or have in your own car?

In my car its

Pioneer 7600 Mp3 head unit
    Sony Ericsson HCB-30 bluetooth Car kit.

What i've seen

Touchscreen headunit
    playstation
    xbox
    tv's

push button start
    *cheese* fake dump valve sound at touch of button
    Clifford Alarm - remote start, turn on lights etc from a good distance

hydraulic shocks

Farlz
    Sounds like his ride was pimped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Not a gadget as such, just a really useful piece of kit; a travel mug that plugs into the lighter socket to keep your coffee hot. It's brilliant for the daily commute, especially in the mornings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Not a gadget as such, just a really useful piece of kit; a travel mug that plugs into the lighter socket to keep your coffee hot. It's brilliant for the daily commute, especially in the mornings

lol.agreed, ideal for the traffic.

best gadget(ish) thing in my car is the auto dimming rear view mirror, its goes a green tint if some muppet behind you has'nt dimmed, yery useful.

The coolest i've seen apart from a few flash head units and lcds, was one of those mad American lowriders with 20k worth of Hydraulics in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

I just had XM radio installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Miles wrote:
    I just had XM radio installed.
    In the states?

Speaking of the States, has anyone seen that OnStar Nav prgm in GM cars. In addition to acting like a regular GPS system, it links to a central command to give the following extra functions:

1) Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment
    In the event that your front air bags deploy, your vehicle automatically sends a signal to OnStar and an Advisor will attempt to contact you in the vehicle. If you do not respond, the Advisor will automatically contact a nearby emergency services provider

2)Remote Door Unlock
    Just call and provide the OnStar Advisor with your account number and PIN number, and an Advisor can send a signal to unlock your door (if available on your vehicle).3 Subscribers who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, or speech impaired may call our toll-free TTY number for assistance at 1.877.248.2080.

3) Stolen Vehicle Tracking
    If you report your vehicle stolen, OnStar can work with authorities to attempt to locate your vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

I think my VDO gauges are pretty fly:

Gauge2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

how did u get that effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

Smithers wrote:
    how did u get that effect?

You talkin' to me?

Not sure what you mean, but the gauges are normal VDOs, the LEDs are from a company called 42nd Draft in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Bobby04 wrote:
    Not a gadget as such, just a really useful piece of kit; a travel mug that plugs into the lighter socket to keep your coffee hot. It's brilliant for the daily commute, especially in the mornings :)
    Any idea where i could pick up one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Got a radio transmitter to play my Creative Zen in the car... just when I thought I was going to have to go back to using cds!!

Alright George,

Where did you get the zen/transmitter, and whats the sound like through the transmitter?
    Can you post a link if bought on line?
    Was thinking of getting an ipod/itrip, but the itrip is getting mixed reviews, some saying its total crap.

Thanks

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

i have the ipod and itrip (pressies at xmas) and find them brill the sound is perfect if you keep the ipod volume at about 70-75% then u should have no probs also helps if u have decent set of speakers thrown in. ;) main trouble is making sure u use a station that totally free in majoprity of areas i use 105.2/105.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

@tommycahir; I'm delighted to hear you say that. I also got an ipod for xmas and I was thinking about getting an itrip but wasn't sure. Is the sound quality as good as a cd playing?

P.S. Sorry for going off topic. To redeem myself, the coolest gadget I ever saw in a car was the tv/satnav screen in the old Volvo S70/C70 that rose up out of the dash and had surround sound.

tommycahir wrote:
    i have the ipod and itrip (pressies at xmas) and find them brill the sound is perfect if you keep the ipod volume at about 70-75% then u should have no probs also helps if u have decent set of speakers thrown in. ;) main trouble is making sure u use a station that totally free in majoprity of areas i use 105.2/105.3

Glad to hear its working well for you, and that Tipp fm and Limerick 95 fm aren't messing thing's up for you :)
    speakers are not a prob either, but new laptop means this plan is on hold for financial reasons :(

(sorry for hijacking the thread initially)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cup holder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

glynf wrote:
    Glad to hear its working well for you, and that Tipp fm and Limerick 95 fm aren't messing thing's up for you :)

luckly enough i only commute from carlow to dublin so there no real interference from radio stations along that route . havent tried heading back to tipp with it yet

Again another apology for slightly hijacking the thread

back to car gadgets that cup holder would be savage for the morns if anybody no's where to get one then PLEASE post the link

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

Got electric wing mirrors ;)

Nah, seriously, had the iTrip found it too fiddly and really drained the battery, I have seen the monster FM transmetter, looks like the real deal.

I use the high tech tape with cable out it thing.

One thing I find funny (maybe illegal) is people driving along with their *white* ear phones in, very odd......

SG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

One-button retractable wing mirrors (in a Lexus I test-drove last week).

Since forever (well, nearly) - adjustable ground clearance on Citroën.

Auto-locking clutch in reverse (in some Imprezas, when you clutch in and release the brake pedal).

My ARCHOS 420 :D - 'Lost' series through 4-speakers makes those long tailbacks so much more bearable (especially since I stopped smoking, but I'm still looking for a good holder, though)

Advertisement