Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a mobile to suit please

Options
  • 31-12-2004 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a phone (preferably a nokia as I'm used to their look and feel, but I'm open to other suggestions) which fits the following specs:

- MP3 playback (playlist?) support
    - SD/MMS card support (or similar so I can have additional memory)
    - Camera
    - infrared and/or bluetooth

Extras - not crucial, but nice to have
    - Video recording support with sound
    - pop3 email support

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i have the Nokia 6230 and it does everything you want,nice n small too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

aye id agree with a nokia series 60 phone ive a 6600 myself, the 6230 would be perfect for yourself

6230 is a series 40 man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone know how much it is or where in Ireland one might come accross it?

Also, the mp3 player feature on it.. how does it work? Does it allow you to make a playlist? Does it have a random feature? Or do you have to click play on each one manually?

Does it play mp3 without headphones too?

• Advertisement

I bought mine here and the delivery was very quick and it was the cheapest i could find.
    The mp3 has a playlist function and it also has a speaker that you can play the mp3's thru,crystal clear quality

lmao it has 6 in the model no.

****s to that

weemcd ... you mean something by that or was it just a random comment?

GaRtH_v ... does it require the headphones to be attached in order for the speaker to work? (on my 3200 you have to have the headphones in to use speaker mode for radio which always seemed odd to me)

i thought the nokia model numbers begining with 6 indicated they were a series 60 phone nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

it's about €300 inc shipping from http://www.mobilerepair.de/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

the reason u had to attach the earfones was because the phone used them as the aerial for the radio. 6230 is a quality phone.

naa you dont need the earphones attached to use the speaker
    the only one drawback of the phone would have to be that the screen gets scratched very easily...or maybe thats just my drunken tomfoolery:)

Earphones acting as an aerial.. why didn't I realise that?

Have you any other complaints with this phone at all?
    Did it come with an MMC card ?

nope im perfectly happy with the phone
    it came with a 32mb mmc card and it can take up to 128mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Motorola V550

Its brillant!!

It only supports up to 128MB ? You sure? I had my heart set on a 512MB MMC or 1GB MMC :(

yeh so did i but i emailed nokia and asked them and they told me 128mb,you wont get a phone that supports 1gb unless its a smartphone

I couldn't fine much contact info for them at all...

Fair enough, 128MB / 3 = roughly 40 MP3s....

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Gotta jump in here. The Nokia 6230 works with a 512mb or 1GB card. My brother has a new Nokia 6230 with a TwinMOS 1GB card (90 euro and nearly full now) and it works perfectly so I recommend it.

The only minor issue is that the phone cannot format the card (it's a firmware issue). The solution being, use a card reader. Also, if you can - try out the card reader with the larger capacity card - as older card readers have issues with writing to large MMC cards (1GB, etc).

- Neil

Hiya

Perhaps Nokia only support up to 128MB but some others have been known to work?

As for the phone not being able to format the card, that's not an issue.. I've picked out this card reader which I'm gonna order anyway. I hope it supports cards up to 1GB, though it doesn't seem to say.

He have any other issues with the phone? Anything that one purchasing it might want to consider?

• Advertisement

really?
    damn Nokia tech support,ill have to get me a 1gb card now...

Hi,

Nokia have had that "we only support upto 128MB" for a few years now - it probably cuts down on the number of support calls :)

About the MMC cards, not all brands of 512MB and 1GB cards work in Nokia phones but the TwinMOS are a good brand and the card worked well in the Nokia 6230 and Nokia 6600. Also, the 1GB TwinMOS card we have is now 8 euro cheaper (at 82 euro) than it was a few weeks ago on Komplett. Delivery is 10 euro btw.

In regards to card readers, I haven't found one yet that will read the 1GB MMC card properly (maybe someone else knows?) although I've only tried two, one non-brand cheapo reader and a newer Belkin card reader. If you're buying from Komplett you can always email them to double check if the card reader will work - or return it if it doesn't work.

My solution is to get the data cable. It's expensive for just a piece of wire - but it will allow use of the Nokia PC Suite software as well as being able to copy MP3s and Videos across :)

Oh, and not forgetting, using the PC Suite is the only way to create playlists. If you don't / can't create a playlist - you'll have to put ALL files in the root folder of your MMC card - the phone won't see them otherwise.

- Neil

The 6230 has bluetooth, I'm assuming that the Nokia PC Suite will work with a USB Bluetooth Dongle much as it does with my Infrared one now with my 3200 ?

As for the Card read, I think I'm gonna take you up on that suggestion and email Komplett.

The twinmos cards (being the only MMC komplett.ie do) were the ones I was looking at, nice to know they work.

Cheers for all the info so far lads, if you think of anything else relevent please lemme know.

Hi,

The Bluetooth works okay - as it's the only way I have of accessing the 1GB card on the phone. The only problem is - it takes about 8 or 9 hours to fill a 1GB card as Bluetooth is so slow :)

Also, in my experience with Bluetooth, the Nokia 6230 and Windows XP SP2 - the connection can sometimes be a little shakey when copying files (ie. it will just stop copying). The only solution is to restart the PC and try again. The files get copied eventually :)

- Neil

8 or 9 hours.. I never did the math on it but that's proberly about right, it's gonna be a long time anyway :(
    I'd imagine card readers are a lot faster :|

As for the cable mentioned earlier... what interface is it with the pc .. USB 2.0 ?
    How much is it ? Where are they for sale ?

And does the fone have an infrared connection too? I couldn't see it mentioned on the Nokia site...

Hi,

The time stated was a rough estimate but Bluetooth transfers at around 20 - 25k/sec and a card reader + MMC card can manage anywhere between 1000k/sec and 2000k/sec (1 or 2MB) depending on the card reader, make of MMC card and whether you're using USB 1.1 or 2.0 (USB 1.1 has a limit of just over 1MB/sec). So, in other words, a card reader is a *little bit* faster than Bluetooth ;)

I found the data cable for the Nokia 6230 on Expansys. It's USB 1.1 but it should be faster than bluetooth.

Oh, the phone *does* have an Infrared port :)

- Neil

I see what you mean about the cost, I may see how the bluetooth and MMC reader options go first before I try the cable... The card reader will be useful for my digital camera too.

Nice to know it has infrared as I have an infrared USB dongle at the moment which I use with my 3200... least I'll have one type of interface to connect to the phone right away.

Hopefully I'll get getting this in the next 2 or 3 weeks, but if that falls through then it'll be January payday :)

Keep the info coming, I feel like I own the phone already :D

ive never had a problem with the bluetooth function on this phone. Its always been grand for me
    oh and ciaranfo : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2233493#post2233493

Cheers for the link GaRtH_V but I think one of the lads at work is getting me one...

• Advertisement

I'm gonna hopefully get this in the next week or two :)

Advertisement