Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyuss or Queens?

• 31-12-2004 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Who do you think is the better band? IMO Kyuss contributed more to music because of them pretty much starting stoner rock. But I prefer the Queens, Josh's singing is great and adds a whole lot to the music, also IMO. Kyuss had some of the best riffs ever written but I think the Queens songwriting is superior. What d'ya think?

Kyuss or Qotsa 18 votes

Kyuss
    0% 0 votes
    Queens
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Queens. They rock out more.
    Kyuss' Sky Valley album was legend though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Why is there not a "not another poll" option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Kyuss man,all the way. Dont get me wrong,Queens are good, but kyuss are just....better. I dunno,they just hit the spot(musically) for me,anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yep, I'ma say Kyuss too. Love love love em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Kyuss
    Velcome to sky valley album blew me away, even thought i heard qotsa first, been hook on that whole scene ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kyuss. Two words: Demon Cleaner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Googe

Good to see other Kyuss fans!

If you like qotsa and Kyuss you should check out Masters Of Reality or The Desert Sessions. Masters Of Reality have a live album with Josh and Nick in the backing band. Its amazing schtuff. Some of the earlier desert sessions are like the link between Kyuss and Qotsa.

I've got Desert Sessions 1 - 10! Bloody amazing stuff, some of it is. Haven't got any Masters of Reality. Really have to have a look into Mondo Generator as well, but I'd definitely advise getting some Desert Sessions stuff to anyone who hasn't got any

Desert Sessions 1-10! Fair play to ya. The only one I haven't got is vol 5. I got 6 on vinyl. How did you get them?

I saw Mondo Generator when they came to the TBMC. They were pretty great and played some Queens songs aswell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

In fairness I would never have heard of Kyuss if I hadn't heard the Queens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

psp wrote:
    Good to see other Kyuss fans!

If you like qotsa and Kyuss you should check out Masters Of Reality or The Desert Sessions. Masters Of Reality have a live album with Josh and Nick in the backing band. Its amazing schtuff. Some of the earlier desert sessions are like the link between Kyuss and Qotsa.

I flew to London for that gig, they were supporting Mark Lanegan (he also came out to play with the Masters for High Noon Amsterdam (which appears on the cd you're referring to)). Masters Of Reality are one of the finest bands I've ever heard though any Kyuss or QOTSA fans who pick up some of their stuff expecting something like Sky Valley or Rated R will be in for a shock. The closest to either of those bands is probably the Deep In The Hole album, though my personal favourites are The Blue Garden and Sunrise On The Sufferbus, the first two. Each Masters Of Reality sounds nothing like it's predecessor but all are top quality. A great band.

Actually Chris Goss (Masters Of Reality, Kyuss and QOTSA producer, Desert Sessions regular) almost died last week, botched hernia operation left him with a severe internal infection which left him in a seriously bad way. Thankfully, he appears to be on the mend, though.

I have to disagree with this "Kyuss invented Stoner" blah blah blah. True, they were among the first and easily the most successful, but you can't ignore the influence the likes of Trouble, St. Vitus and The Obsessed had, nor can the likes of Sleep (who got there well before Kyuss) be discounted and countless others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

John2 wrote:
    Kyuss. Two words: Demon Cleaner

Kyuss. Two words: Spaceship Landing. ;)
    Waltons wrote:
    I've got Desert Sessions 1 - 10!

On vinyl? Cos if not you smell of poo and I don't. :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Kyuss by far. They get a Thumb up from me...

...I'll get my coat. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm a big QOTSA fan but I haven't heard much Kyuss material. How many albums have Kyuss released?

They have four studio albums: Wretch, Blues For The Red Sun, Welcome To Sky Valley, ...and the circus leaves town. They also have a best of but thats not really a best of, more a collection of rare tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

yea ive been listening to alot of masters of reality at the moment, espically the new -Give us Barabbas- album, also check out unida john Garcia's current band, his latest stuff im actually really enjoying. Also the Drummer Brant Bjork has his on band, but i dont think much of them. For me listening to kyuss got me into lost of other great bands i would otherwise never heard of like, Fu-manchu, Dozer, Orange Goblin, Fireball Ministry, AstroQueen, Beaver, Chrome Locust, Karma to Burn, Spirit Caravan, Spiritual Beggars, Firebird, Tad..... and many many more, Anybody who doesnt know of the website should check out www.stonerrock.com as the winamp radio station is really good for hearing new stuff

also check out unida john Garcia's current band, his latest stuff im actually really enjoying.

Don't forget his other band Hermano. Great stuff that.

I'd also recommend Nebula and Fu Manchu.

psp wrote:
    They have four studio albums: Wretch, Blues For The Red Sun, Welcome To Sky Valley, ...and the circus leaves town. They also have a best of but thats not really a best of, more a collection of rare tracks

Which of the four Kyuss studio albums would you recommend as a first buy?

Kyuss. Two words: Spaceship Landing. ;)

On vinyl? Cos if not you smell of poo and I don't. :p
    It would appear I smell of poo. Damnit, not again!
    I've yet to get any Fu Manchu stuff, what would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Kyuss, without the slightest hint of a doubt.
    Let that take nothing away from QOTSA tho.

• Advertisement

Waltons wrote:
    It would appear I smell of poo. Damnit, not again!
    I've yet to get any Fu Manchu stuff, what would you recommend?

:D

Don't feel bad, you might smell of poo, but I'm considerably lighter in the wallet department after I tracked down a copy of Vol 1 on Ebay last year... :eek:

Which of the four Kyuss studio albums would you recommend as a first buy?

Welcome To Sky Valley - it's a master piece

There is a desert sessions vol 1 vinyl on ebay at the moment. Current high bid is 50 pounds *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

i got and the circus leaves town recently

is the bass suppose to sound really fuzzy? it sounds like my bass when i was playin it on a guitar amp

Yep, Scott Reeder has a very unique tone ;)

Anyways I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this when I say that Josh Homme is without a doubt the greatest and coolest ginger to ever exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I dunno, Chris Evans is the man tbh!

don't forget Avid Merrion.

When we saw QOTSA the first time, my girlfriend said afterwards "Finally, an excuse not to kill your ginger babies" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Demon Cleaner

Im a big Q.O.T.S.A and Kyuss fan (obviously). If you don't already have the first queens album you should get it. Most of it seems to be about stalking and suicide. Very weird. Especially at the end of "I was a teenage hand model". I say the first kyuss album you should aet is blues for the red sun. A legendry album, no question.
    I can't pick between kyuss and queens though

Im a big Q.O.T.S.A and Kyuss fan (obviously). If you don't already have the first queens album you should get it. Most of it seems to be about stalking and suicide. Very weird. Especially at the end of "I was a teenage hand model". I say the first kyuss album you should aet is blues for the red sun. A legendry album, no question.

Personally I think you should buy all the Kyuss albums in one fell swoop. Although I think the first QOTSA album is my least favourite out of all the Kyuss/QOTSA related stuff. Some good tracks on it, some mediochre tracks. Not as good as the rest. Regular John kicks my ass though.

• Advertisement

There's a Kyuss/QOTSA split CD I picked up back in the day, which is worth it just for a Kyuss cover of Into The Void. It also has alternate versions (demos?) of three QOTSA tunes, two off the first album and also Born To Hula which IIRC has only shown up as a B side and is a great tune, one of their very best IMO. It's on the Man's Ruin (R.I.P.) label so I'd say it's Ebay only if you want to pick it up, which you should. It provided a nice bridge at the time as Kyuss faded and QOTSA took shape and still sounds great for fans of both bands.

Advertisement