Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wave of asian films in Irish cinemas...

• 31-12-2004 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

So with 2046 being released next month and Hero, Shaolin Soccer and House of flying daggers(I think) released in these last couple of months. Was it all down to Miramax(or whatever company) waiting to dub this and release it or is it a case of Irish cinemas and people opening up their minds to Asian cinema that allowed them to be released?

I'm confused because there has been very few Asian films being released in Irish cinemas in the past, and now a few of them released or being released in the space of a couple of months.

Comments

i suggest you change the title, in accordance with current events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Demeant0r wrote:
    So with 2046 being released next month and Hero, Shaolin Soccer and House of flying daggers(I think) released in these last couple of months. Was it all down to Miramax(or whatever company) waiting to dub this and release it or is it a case of Irish cinemas and people opening up their minds to Asian cinema that allowed them to be released?

I wish you were right, but I don't see what you're talking about. Three of the films you name I haven't heard of, which would mean they're not getting enough hype, and the only one I have heard of - Hero - I didn't get a chance to see because it seemed to disappear very quickly. I have no idea what you're talking about with "people opening up their minds to Asian cinema". About two percent of people I talk to are that open-minded :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

House of flying daggers is being advertised on TV, and has posters up in cinemas (Ster Century anyway, not sure about others). I've heard loads of people talking about it. Shaolin Soccer I've heard a lot about from people, but not much hype on TV/posters/etc. Hero was very much hyped.

There's more Asian films released in UGC aswell all the time, as part of the Tartian Asia Film festival (something along those lines anyway :) ), things like JuOn: The Grudge, Chaos, A Tale Of Two Sisters. I like this development. It makes it easier for people like me to see the films we're interested in, instead of trying to find copies on Ebay because the DVD hasn't really been released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

koneko wrote:
    House of flying daggers is being advertised on TV, and has posters up in cinemas (Ster Century anyway, not sure about others). I've heard loads of people talking about it. Shaolin Soccer I've heard a lot about from people, but not much hype on TV/posters/etc. Hero was very much hyped.

There's more Asian films released in UGC aswell all the time, as part of the Tartian Asia Film festival (something along those lines anyway :) ), things like JuOn: The Grudge, Chaos, A Tale Of Two Sisters. I like this development. It makes it easier for people like me to see the films we're interested in, instead of trying to find copies on Ebay because the DVD hasn't really been released.

I suppose. But then again, the way things go, this will probably be followed by an immense decrease in the quality of Asian films ;) .

I'm not really that interested in Chinese cinema anyway. Japan and India are more my thing. I liked Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but then there are the likes of Farewell my Concubine (which I was fortunate enough to come across in the extremely rare "World Cinema" section of a Chartbusters). I thought it was a good film, and could see why other people liked it, but it was a little too anti-Japan for my tastes (see my sig).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Well Dubliners are fortunate to have UGC to watch foreign films, but outside Dublin there has been very few Asian films released, which saddens me because I think asian films should have been given more of a chance in the big cinemas like omniplex, cineplex etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

also be aware that the growing popularity of asian films, is also due to the growing numbers of asian people in this country, coming over for education/work etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Demeant0r wrote:
    Well Dubliners are fortunate to have UGC to watch foreign films, but outside Dublin there has been very few Asian films released, which saddens me because I think asian films should have been given more of a chance in the big cinemas like omniplex, cineplex etc.

Unfortunately the general movie-going public in Ireland isn't interested in something like that. I would have said a lot of them are more into "leave your brain off at the door" films, but a lot of them don't have a brain to that with in the first place.
    Running a cinema is a business, like any else, and showing obscure films is more likely to cost them money than make it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think perhaps a lot of it is down to the DVD market aswell. While thanks greatly to Tartan and their Asia Extreme label, there's great intrest generated, and scope given to a lot of smaller companies, like Arts Magic who have probably made a lot re-releasing all the excellent old samurai movies, proving greatly that there's interest there, reguardless of whether or not they're new films.

• Advertisement
Advertisement