Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson P910i

Options
  • 31-12-2004 3:07am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

as someone who's wanted a Nokia 6630 for the past week i cant help but think about reconsidering...

although ive only held a sample (display model) in my hand this phone is the phone for me i think :confused:

does anyone know how much it is sim free in the republic of ireland?? as it must be up in the €700+ range or even €800+, considering the Nokia 6630 is €670 here, i think id go for a 910i first, if i could get it at the right price

any feedback from anyone who's actually used it would be greatly appreciated as im trying to make the Choice, Nokia 6630 or Sony Ericsson P910i?

Edit: b114267.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - it's around Eur 674 (ex. shipping) from the likes of expansys.ie...

if you outline your specific requirements and what tasks you plan/need to perform, that would be the best way to suggest which (or even if) one would be appropriate...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

hi - it's around Eur 674 (ex. shipping) from the likes of expansys.ie...

if you outline your specific requirements and what tasks you plan/need to perform, that would be the best way to suggest which (or even if) one would be appropriate...

Thanks
    To be honest i dont need anything from my phone, i just like having the latest technology :) i've currently got a nokia 3650, ive had it for the past two years so its time for an upgrade :cool:

oh yeah and i priced it in tipperary, its €912 :eek: :mad:

ah :)

best read around the review sites and 'hard core' phone forums...
    6630 (mobile-review)

P910i (mobile-review)
    P910i (mobile burn)

Esato Forums (Primarily SE)
    Howard Forums (General)

quick diffs:

Nokia 6630 better camera, has 3G functionality, no large memory cards at present, packet data only, 3G coverage can be hit and miss, data connection can be unstable particularly in motion, service centre upgrades only

P910i more PDA like, bigger screen, large memory cards available at present, dial-up data and GPRS, larger form factor, no 3G data, jog-wheel can handle many tasks but can require touch screen for others (i.e. two hands required), possibility of DIY online upgrades

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

ah :)

best read around the review sites and 'hard core' phone forums...
    6630 (mobile-review)

P910i (mobile-review)
    P910i (mobile burn)

Esato Forums (Primarily SE)
    Howard Forums (General)

quick diffs:

Nokia 6630 better camera, has 3G functionality, no large memory cards at present, packet data only, 3G coverage can be hit and miss, data connection can be unstable particularly in motion, service centre upgrades only

P910i more PDA like, bigger screen, large memory cards available at present, dial-up data and GPRS, larger form factor, no 3G data, jog-wheel can handle many tasks but can require touch screen for others (i.e. two hands required), possibility of DIY online upgrades

Thank, very helpfull links, i've always trusted
    P910i

From http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/

and for an update i've now been quoted at €759 in a shop 1.5km away from me.. its a bit more reasonable but in your own opinion would it be worth it for this phone.

in retrospect its just €89 more then a substantialy less feature packed phone ie. 6630 :confused:

hi - sorry wouldn't really recommend a device based on features / specs alone - only how it would match someone needs, their usage requirements, what benefits it would deliver to them etc... but if feature packed is what you want then perhaps put their detailed specs side by side - bearing in mind they are quite different devices in many respects - as you are already used to a Series 60 device i'd suggest you get a real hands on demo with the UIQ devices before making any decision

a regular feature phone could provide all the functionality you need so i'd be hesitant to recommend you shell out a wad of cash on high end one when it might not return on real benefits compared to less expensive device... but if you want the latest and greatest then you're going to be paying a premium so it's really up to you decide if are prepared to pay for it :)

if i was to order one i'd shop around online to compare prices i've yet to purchase a SIM Free phone 'on the street' here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have the P900. Which I believe is pretty much the same phone, except it doesn't have the little keypad on the underside of the flip.

I've been very happy with it. It's a little bit bulky. But you can do so much with it. I use a MAC and it works really well with it, I can control any aspect of my computer from the phone. It's actually great to use as a remote control for iTunes, as you can see what tracks are coming up next on the display of the phone, and even the album covers.

Any games that have been released for it have been a bit rubbish though, they tend to use the stylus as a control system.. and it simply doesn't work out as well as the Nintendo DS controls. But one amazing thing you can do is run a SCUMM emulator on the phone, which will allow you to play any of the old Lucas Arts graphic adventures on it. I'm currently working through Fate of Atlantis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

slade_x wrote:
    as someone who's wanted a Nokia 6630 for the past week i cant help but think about reconsidering...

although ive only held a sample (display model) in my hand this phone is the phone for me i think :confused:

does anyone know how much it is sim free in the republic of ireland?? as it must be up in the €700+ range or even €800+, considering the Nokia 6630 is €670 here, i think id go for a 910i first, if i could get it at the right price

any feedback from anyone who's actually used it would be greatly appreciated as im trying to make the Choice, Nokia 6630 or Sony Ericsson P910i?

Edit: b114267.jpg

You might also consider waiting for the XDA IIs which looks beautiful (black XDA with hard keypad, Wifi). P910 and XDA are more in their own class and not comparable to say 6630, which is the modern-most-hi-tech phone/show-off item!

You might also consider waiting for the XDA IIs which looks beautiful (black XDA with hard keypad, Wifi). P910 and XDA are more in their own class and not comparable to say 6630, which is the modern-most-hi-tech phone/show-off item!

iv used an XDA II before & got fed up of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 L-E-V-8

Hi slade_x, have you thought about getting the SonyEricsson S700i instead? 1.3mp camera, radio and mp3 player and an amazing screen. Bought one in the carphonewarehouse in Enniskillen for £350 (about €500) sim free.

It's one heck of a phone! Anyone i've shown it to thinks it's a stand alone digital camera, they get a helluva "gunk" when i answer a call on it!!

Anyway, if it's just a gadget phone your after, it may be worth a try. Phones with Symbian OS (e.g. P910, Siemens SX1, Nokia 6630) in my experience tend to be a bit like win98. They crash a lot! Its why i sold the P800 and SX1 i had myself,

Advertisement