Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comment on post feature to keep threads on topic

Options
  • 31-12-2004 5:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

just an idea

lots of thread go off on tangents because of people commenting on each other's posts in a way that is not relevant to the subject.

if comments on the post could be posted like in a blog where they are accessed by a link then the threads could be kept wholly on topic.

would probably change the nature of discussions quite a bit, not necessarily only in a good way. Threads might be a bit dry. Not a good idea for the less serious forums but maybe for certain ones it might be, like politics for instance.

or there could even be a tree structure (I'm too tired to be sure I'm not getting silly) where threads can split into two or more new threads in the case of an interesting tangent in the discussion. Sometimes a long thread has about two or more conversations about different topics going on after a while, which can be a bit off-putting to someone looking at the thread for the first time at that point. Even though the discussions that are happening have grown out of the original and are valid, they might be unrelated to each other.

edit: notification of comments being put on a user's posts would also mean that they could be kept aware of what was being said about the posts in case they want to respond.
    That might be interesting even without the comment feature. A "respond to" button beside the quote one which flags the original poster that their post is being discussed. This could also be practical maybe in facilitating the branching thread idea.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

LOL!
    cool!

A case of "too much talking and not enough listening" on my part perhaps.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Don't think I'm a fan of this new feature. Any way of us being able to see it like we used to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

ixoy wrote:
    Don't think I'm a fan of this new feature. Any way of us being able to see it like we used to?
    Eh?
    On the menu inside the thread -> Display modes >> Linear Mode
    Is that what you mean?
    The setting seems to stick for me anyhoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

are we stuck with this format now or what?

it's bloody horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

SantaHoe wrote:

That will return you to the old view

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Linear mode all the way, baby!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SantaHoe wrote:
    Eh?
    Is that what you mean?
    That's exactly what I mean. Faith is restored - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

pwd wrote:
    just an idea

lots of thread go off on tangents because of people commenting on each other's posts in a way that is not relevant to the subject.

if comments on the post could be posted like in a blog where they are accessed by a link then the threads could be kept wholly on topic.

would probably change the nature of discussions quite a bit, not necessarily only in a good way. Threads might be a bit dry. Not a good idea for the less serious forums but maybe for certain ones it might be, like politics for instance.

or there could even be a tree structure (I'm too tired to be sure I'm not getting silly) where threads can split into two or more new threads in the case of an interesting tangent in the discussion. Sometimes a long thread has about two or more conversations about different topics going on after a while, which can be a bit off-putting to someone looking at the thread for the first time at that point. Even though the discussions that are happening have grown out of the original and are valid, they might be unrelated to each other.

edit: notification of comments being put on a user's posts would also mean that they could be kept aware of what was being said about the posts in case they want to respond.
    That might be interesting even without the comment feature. A "respond to" button beside the quote one which flags the original poster that their post is being discussed. This could also be practical maybe in facilitating the branching thread idea.

is there a way of changing this back to the normal system as after 30 seconds of seeing it this way i already espise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is there a way of changing this back to the normal system as after 30 seconds of seeing it this way i already espise it.
    Read up.

Hybrid mode has the best of both worlds, but I still have no use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

yeah i went into the UserCP and changed tried all the display modes until i got the one that i wanted.

i was unable to read the replies in the other format as only one message was displayed at a time.

Advertisement