Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compromise

Options
  • 31-12-2004 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

A gwan then, to kick off something less normal.

I think youre right, liberal democracy acts to prevent wholesale democracy - the whole 51%-can-never-be-wrong-and-their-wishes-must-always-be-adhered-to-regardless-of-other-considerations type democracy.

But this isnt a liberal democracy, its a internet discussion board. We dont need to find compromise because we dont need to find a resolution to anything we discuss. Thats the politicians job.

All that happens here is two or more viewpoints clash, are criticised. defended, repeat ad nauseum till someone is convinced the other side is too stupid to see reason and doesnt waste their time on them anymore. Thats not allowed to happen in the real world because thats when war breaks out - no war, no need to compromise.

And as for your last sentence, I have only ever once seen someone change their mind on a topic, and that wasnt anything to do with politics. Lets be honest, no one is going to hold a view they consider wrong and practically every viewpoint can be criticised/or defended to the satisfaction of its adherents - else it would have died out by now, like the world being flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There are those who will always beleive that they are totally in the right, and God himself would not convince them otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think people do change their minds all the time after reading posts on Boards.ie (I know I have). What you don't get is people post "You know what you are right and I am wrong".

Because people don't post "I have changed my mind" doesn't mean people aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Sand hit the nail on the head (for once),
    compromise between politically minded individuals is a rarity (on the internet at least) considering they are usually stalwart in their viewpoints.

As an aside, I find the most irritating statement is "you think your view is more correct than anyone elses", of bloody course I do, I wouldn't "have" an opinion if I didn't feel it the best suited to the situation at hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Who said this place was a democratic system of government? Hell, it's not even taken seriously by those who post here. It's a forum for engaging in the dialectic method of reasoning about particular topics, and it's darn useful in that regard; but little more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement