Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv Upload Speeds

• 31-12-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭

Hey

Have Utv Broadband and was trying to upload a 100mb file onto server but it took bloody long(2hrs and counting) so had to cancel

Rang them and their upload speed is 128mb I dont know if I am even getting this. Checked it with NuMeter........

They said thats this is to do with Eircom as they have limited the upload speeds

Any chance of the upload speeds getting better even on a par with the UK?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Yep, most consumer ADSL 512/128 (so in general 4 times faster upload than download), hence the A(symetric) in ADSL. Quick calculation (on basis of 50KB per second download speed, 12.5KB upload, so on a good day it might take):

Takes about 30min to download 100Mb and 2hrs to upload same. Some services aimed at businesses offer higher upload speeds (e.g. netsource have 2048/256), but you will pay alot more (still would take 1hr!). Think of it as a tea break ;)

UK similar to here, but more seem to have 512/256 as minimum. Wish more options for higher bandwidths, 512/128 seemed good to start, but now I WANT MORE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Your upload speed would be 128kbps - kilobits per second. In other words, it will take 8 seconds to upload 128Kb (kilobytes).

Your 100Mb file (100,000Kb) should take about 105 minutes (or almost 2 hours).

As 128kbps assumes no contention or other network issues, which would be present, you can assume it will take 4-6 hours to upload a file that size.

Best thing to do is mail a cdrom or flash card.

Advertisement