Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert

Options
  • 31-12-2004 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

can you do chinese for the leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm pretty sure you can't, but you can do Japanese for Leaving Cert however.

[EDIT]I think it's strange how you can do Japanese and not also Chinese, I'm pretty sure there's more Chinese in Ireland than Japanese.[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Well, Japanese has a standard dialect.

Chinese has Mandarin and Cantonese among others, both of which are equally spoken in Ireland by the incoming communities. You can't set a Leaving Cert in just one, although I suppose Mandarin could work since it's technically standard.

But yeah, would you expect a LC student to learn off all of the characters required to do an exam?

Lantis wrote:
    Well, Japanese has a standard dialect.

Chinese has Mandarin and Cantonese among others, both of which are equally spoken in Ireland by the incoming communities. You can't set a Leaving Cert in just one, although I suppose Mandarin could work since it's technically standard.

But yeah, would you expect a LC student to learn off all of the characters required to do an exam?
    It could be possible if they started in JC, it's not the most difficult language in the world. But then again knowing JC and LC students, they just wouldn't constantly work at it for 100 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Demeant0r wrote:
    [EDIT]I think it's strange how you can do Japanese and not also Chinese, I'm pretty sure there's more Chinese in Ireland than Japanese.[/EDIT]
    It's only in the last couple of years that we have seen a large increase in the Chinese comm in Ireland and an increase in the power/manufacturing capabilities of China, thereby making Chinese ( Mandarin ) a useful language to learn. I think French and German should be replaced by Spanish and Mandarin in schools.....but anything that drastic will take years in any major education system, and Ireland is not exactly the quickest rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Well, Spanish *is* a full LC subject, and it's taught in loads of places. Just that French and German seem to be more popular.

And I'd like to see Mandarin being taught as an exam subject. I mean, if Arabic is, then why not?

• Advertisement

I would love to as well, it's becoming very important for business nowadays as China has opened up for trading. I would say when the Chinese population in Ireland has reached a certain point maybe quarter of a million(or has it already? I doubt it) the government may start putting Mandarin in the JC and LC syllabus.

Advertisement