Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Metrication - the final steps?

Options
  • 31-12-2004 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so we've now got (most) distance markers on signposts in km's, soon to have speed limits in km/h, most cars with on-board computers can be configured to do everything in km's and litres and the digital speedo on my wife's Yaris can even be changed to km/h with the press of a button ....

So, when will we make the final step and have car odometers that record km's and not miles? What about new cars that have speedos in km/h? Do they have odometers that record km's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

All new cars (from jan 1st 2005) will have to have kms on the large outer dial and optionally mphs on the smaller inner circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bp_me wrote:
    All new cars (from jan 1st 2005) will have to have kms on the large outer dial and optionally mphs on the smaller inner circle.

No sh!t :)

I was talking about odometers, you know the thingy-wotsit-gizmo that records the mileage (or should that be kilometrage!?) of your car not the speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

It is reasonable to assume that these will also change with the dials

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

its f*****g crazy if u ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lomb wrote:
    What is? And why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

At the risk of sounding like a smug 8astard, I got myself a complete Kph speedo from a breakers , cost was minimal as I suppose that they never thought that anyone would want Metric speedos.
    The Odo reads in Kms too.
    Japanese imports are usually Kph anyway and there are plenty of them around.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a Scenic - when the speed is in MPH the trip and odometer are in Miles. When I switch to KMH (eg when in France) the trip and odometer read in KMs.

The mechanical odometers will stay in miles - I can imagine the arguments in years to come "ah sure thats not 74,000 miles thats 74,00 kilometers and thats notbad for a 4 year old car..."

metrification. its just some stupid burocrat or eurocrat with nothing better to do. how the hell is it going to improve anything.

weve had mph for decades, and what now they want kph, who wants it. some idiotic moron in brussels. why dont they get in the real world.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

lomb wrote:
    . why dont they get in the real world.

They are in the real world - the metric world ! They are probably wondering why the Paddys still to an outmoded system forced on them by a colonial power ;-)

(outmoded as in; 16 oz in an lb, 14 lb in a stone, x grains in an oz, 54 furlongs in a hundredweight, 6 guineas in a league etc etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

metrification. its just some stupid burocrat or eurocrat with nothing better to do. how the hell is it going to improve anything.

Standardisation, and generally ensuring that there is a standard accepted measure for all of the EU.
    I can see the point that it is a nuisance, but it does make sense. Most Europeans have no notion of the Imperial measurement system, whereas most Irish people will have at worst a good idea as to how many litres in a Gallon etc.

• Advertisement

it is nuts and who is putting it on us, europe and rubber stamped by the same politicians whove ensured charley haughey is walking around a free man and the westlink ntr which was awarded a contract most probably by haughry after a bribe and lucan is called lucan and not bawnogue/ neilstown and ....and....

ive seen how it works, they enjoy nice dinners, wining and dining with the hobnobs and couldnt give a monkeys about anything and the funny thing is joe bloggs accepts it like the guy above trawelling scrapyards for kmh dials what a joke.

lomb wrote:
    it is nuts and who is putting it on us, europe and rubber stamped by the same politicians whove ensured charley haughey is walking around a free man and the westlink ntr which was awarded a contract most probably by haughry after a bribe and lucan is called lucan and not bawnogue/ neilstown and ....and....

ive seen how it works, they enjoy nice dinners, wining and dining with the hobnobs and couldnt give a monkeys about anything and the funny thing is joe bloggs accepts it like the guy above trawelling scrapyards for kmh dials what a joke.

I think you have issues, unresolved issues.........
    I cannot see how metrification or the long overdue adoption of it has anything to do with the endemic corruption(allegedly) present in Irish Politics.

The Metric system is an easy choice for Ireland to make.
    1.It brings us into line with the rest of Europe bar one former Imperial power.
    2.It makes the rest of the road signage system make a little more sense.
    3. It further separates us from the former.

And to set matters straight I did not award any contracts after any bribes.
    nor did I trawell(sic) scrapyards searching for a kmh Dial I used the very thing that you are looking at now.
    CJ

what has anyone got against britain? this is the 21st century. the past is the past.

britain is our biggest trading partner.

why is there not a run on left hand drive dashboards, sure we need them so we can drive on the same side as europe, what a load of cobblers. pure BS. if no one can see that they are the ones with problems.

ireland exports way more to britain than the rest of europe combined. it is total BS no doubt about it.

the UK is going Metric too.

then there is something seriously wrong. id will be a sad day when and if mph are ever abandoned a sad day indeed.

maybe hitler really did lose the battle but he won the war?

just checked mph are here to stay in the uk thank god

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3934353.stm

lomb wrote:
    then there is something seriously wrong. id will be a sad day when and if mph are ever abandoned a sad day indeed.

Okey dokey then.....

Look at what happened to Nasa when they were monkeying around with converting imperial to metric , they lost a space probe.
    Metric is standard in scientific measurements.
    The US military use Kilometres.
    The problem is that here and the UK have a halfway house neither one or the other.
    That is the problem.
    Nobody would seriously argue that Britain could revert to exclusive use of imperial measurements.
    The International System of Units (the metric system), which is used by 94% of the world's population, including all the Commonwealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:

Go back home ya-west-brit-ya or finally say goodbye to British imperialism which has died many decades ago ;)

Metric is the way forward for this in this respect backward country. In more modern countries it has been the standard for centuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

lomb wrote:

Hello! It was designed in France during the revolution.

And if you really want to stick with tradition, have a read of this: http://www.alia.ie/tirnanog/sochis/xxiii.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Changing to metric is completely demented. Lives will be lost over this. As far as I can see there is no benefit.
    The North is staying Imperial (there's a surprise) and of course the rest of the UK so the main places that Irish drivers might drive to will not be metric.
    What is the point?

Lives will be lost over this.

How?. Distances have been signposted in KM for years, so it's not like this change is something that is being suddenly thrust upon people.
    Just because the UK is not moving to this standard does not mean that Ireland must stay using an outdated system of measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

lomb wrote:
    just checked mph are here to stay in the uk thank god

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3934353.stm

I'm glad you've had your little victory. The rest of us meanwhile have been lured over by Satan and his metric numbering system which Charlie Haughey invented so they could change the coins to decimal and all the old ladies would drop their coins while measuring them out and then he'd pick them up and get rich ;)

the reality is the irish as a race are laid back fools whol take anything 'cause sure theres something to talk bout'

this is a crock make no mistake about it

i have no objection to distances and speed being being in both mph and kph. it is a joke to switch over. and it will kill people aswell. can anyone answer me this question why dont we switch to left hand drive cars to get away from the colonial bastards in the uk? reason: economically unviable.
    but not unviable to shove everyone up the tailpipe by producing dash dials in kph, confusing everyone unnecssarily and having mph signs here kph there and people being confused-and over what some stupid bastard eurocrat who know sweet f%^ all or gives a monkey about joe public. and the irish just take this sh^- wonders never cease........

the reality is the irish as a race are laid back fools whol take anything 'cause sure theres something to talk bout'

and this is a quote by which clever fellow?
    i have no objection to distances and speed being being in both mph and kph. it is a joke to switch over. and it will kill people aswell. can anyone answer me this question why dont we switch to left hand drive cars to get away from the colonial bastards in the uk? reason: economically unviable.

What ever mate. IMO if the driver is not clever enough to be confused by a switch from MPH to KPH then he should not be allowed to drive in the first place.

yes but whats the point of it- thats my point

it is pointless. i have zero objection to kg in weight etc but believe the imperial equiv should be present. in the case of mph, weve used this system since the beginning of the motor car, why change something that works very well - to 'appear modern' what a crock of sh£^. ur telling me the stupid german and the dodgy french eurocrats know about the real world. they dont know sh£$. they integrated a poor east german economy into their own and pulled their economy with it. gave out handouts to ireland and pulled their economys down with that. are integrating poor eastern block economies into europe to pull their economys down. the point is they dont know sh$% about the real world. they cant even look after themselves. u think those morons know what is right or wrong for ireland. HAH. THATS FUNNY.

the irish accept it cause theyl accept any crap. a waste of time, money and creation of confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We have 80mph motorways in Ireland now? Cool :)

Well lomb, change doesn't seem to bother you when it comes to polluting English language spelling and punctuation rules :)

What's the point in having a dual mph/kph signage system? We introduced dual labelling of foods etc. for the purposes of transitioning to the new system and we're still stuck with them. We don't need a system where drivers are constantly bombarded with 2 numbers per sign. Like a previous poster said, if someone isn't intelligent enough to adapt to the new system, they're not intelligent enough to drive. Most experienced drivers will have memorised the speed limits in various areas both in terms of the numbers and by feel anyway. For example you'll know to go 60mph on a dual carriageway even though the sign says 95/100 whatever. Drivers do okay for example when they go to a foreign country even though they've both driving on "wrong" side of the road and kph speed limit system to contend with.

I'll bet you were one of the people who claimed the Irish wouldn't be able to adapt to Euro notes and coins.

now uve nailed it stark- the euro, a product of eurocrats. ireland is paying for that product since it was launched. because the german economy has gone down the toilet and it has if uve visited it/ talked to germans interest rates are low everywhere to stimulate the economy there.

of course ireland has to go along with low rates. what has come of this u may ask? well when joe bloggs goes to buy a house and rates are 2 or 3 % of course it becomes more affordable. this has artificially raised property prices here beyond whats reasonable. this is bad.

likewise kph are bad when people have used mph successfully for years. just because continental europe has kph doesnt mean we need them no more than we needed the euro. britain is our main partner and as such the stg-euro problem is a hugh one. if and when britain ever decided need for the euro in that case we should have joined but not singly. in the same way kph here and mph in the north is nuts. the next time u drive c how readable the inner dial is, it isnt! of course people will adapt. but my point is its a pointless adaption. it was grand until they started sticking kph speed limits on the westlink confusing everybody.

oh and finally whom may i ask is going to pay for the pointless stupid kph signs. u and me thats who!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement