Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science students..

Options
  • 31-12-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

..Okay, clichéd question, but...which college gives a better degree, TCD or UCD, and why? I was just looking at the UCD site (reading about the new "Horizons" programme), and wandered to the science pages..I like that they give a B.Sc, and a lot of people say that they give a more comprehensive degree than TCD. Then again trinners are more "famous" worldwide, yadda yadda yadda..(I'm a TCD science student btw.)

Anyways, just give me some opinions, I'd be interested as to what you all think.

(There's a copy of this in the TCD forum too, so that both sides are covered. ;))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

The problem is that nearly everyone goes to either UCD or Trinity, so virtually nobody will be able to give a true objective comparison of the two courses.

I like the way UCD general science is quite broad. In first year I (along with all other 1st year science students) did 4 courses. 3 in second year. This means you don't have to decied your degree when your in 6th year. I was originally not going to do Computer Sciecne at all but, now that's what I'm doing my degree in. I think this is a very good feature of UCD's science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Syth wrote:
    The problem is that nearly everyone goes to either UCD or Trinity, so virtually nobody will be able to give a true objective comparison of the two courses.
    That's very true..
    Syth wrote:
    I like the way UCD general science is quite broad. In first year I (along with all other 1st year science students) did 4 courses. 3 in second year. This means you don't have to decied your degree when your in 6th year. ...
    It's the same in tcd.

Only diff in the above regard is comp sci, it's a different faculty in tcd more closely associated with engineering afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Only diff in the above regard is comp sci, it's a different faculty in tcd more closely associated with engineering afaik.
    UCD has general science and a few denominated entry courses, Mathematical science, theoretical physics and computer science. In 1st year everyone is doing the same (except choice is limited for the denominated). And you can do basically the same degrees through the general science course (like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How do you define a better degree?

One which gets you a job? One which teaches you more? You which gets you to research? Or one that is widely recognised?

Its all up to you to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Syth wrote:
    UCD has general science and a few denominated entry courses,
    So does tcd..
    Syth wrote:
    Mathematical science, theoretical physics and computer science. In 1st year everyone is doing the same (except choice is limited for the denominated). And you can do basically the same degrees through the general science course (like me).
    That's the same for us except the denominated courses are: Human Genetics, Comp Chem/Comp Physics Med Chem, Physics & Chemistry of Advanced Materials and TP. You can jump in and out of these courses provided you've done the right subjects in 1st/2nd yr general sci and places are available..

My point is, tcd sci is as broad as ucd, ie it's not a reason for preference..

Our physics dept is better btw :p
    Sangre wrote:
    How do you define a better degree?

One which gets you a job? One which teaches you more? You which gets you to research? Or one that is widely recognised?

Its all up to you to decide.
    Research for me, in which case the specific dept is more important.
    But I see where you're coming from..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

ApeXaviour wrote:

Our physics dept is better btw :p

i'd agree with that the physics dept in ucd needs a lot of work but it has had a lot of recent improvement with the influx of a number of new lecturers and a whole new particle physics section started up.

on the other had the chemistry department in ucd is excellent and exceeds that of tcd. i'd highly recommend ucd for chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They are both equally worthless. If you want a really good science degree I suggest the US. If that's too expensive anywhere other then Ireland would be fine.

Advertisement