Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom freewireless router

• 31-12-2004 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

What model is it?

Does anyone have one of these / are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

It's a Netopia 3347W box. I've got one and it's quite good. It's worth spending the extra $39 upgrading the box to add a firewall. The wi-fi range is quite good. My phone line comes into the kitchen, but my PCs are on the 2nd floor, and I still get a good signal.

The only catch if you're an existing customer is that you need to sign up for another 12 months to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Got the same router. Highly recommended. Be aware it's only an 802.11b, so if you are using it for a home network you will be limited to 11mbps. Not a problem for internet, but you might want an 802.11g 54mbps router if you are considering a home network.

Also, the 39.95 Breakwater Firewall upgrade is worthwhile. You basically download a key which turns on your routers firewall allowing 3 levels of security.

1. What you get as standard - controlling inbound traffic through nat.
    2. Completely disabling any attempt for inbound traffic to identify the Gateway, effectively stealthing all your ports.
    3. Finally disabling all WAN traffic.

Obviously 2. is the only one that is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,964 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been on Eircom now for 12 months... and due to a stubborn father who stands by Eircom, i'll probably be on them for another 12 months.

So what exactly is the deal with the router? Just ring them up and it costs you an extra €40?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Do IOL have any similar offers. I wouldnt mind upgrading this zyxel 630.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,964 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ah right... went to Eircom's site and i get the idea about the Wireless Router now.

Wouldn't mind buying it... how about do i buy it? Was browsing around Eircom's site and found this (http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1188467621.1104763420@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadddhkfejjhcefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=BroadbandIntroRes&site=Res&chanId=-536883873)
    Eircom wrote:
    If you're an existing eircom broadband home starter / plus customer, you can also buy our wireless router for only €49.99 (inc. VAT).
    When i try to click on the link to buy it, nothing happens! Can anyone give me an online link to buy it off Eircom, or will i have to ring them up to buy it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement