Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House of Flying Daggers

• 31-12-2004 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

UGC had informed me that this film would open on the 26th of December. Did it? What happened? Where is it gone? Did it open only for one showing? Did this fine cinema with whom I have placed so much trust just lie to me? Am I an idiot? Will I ever be abe to see it?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

1. No. It didn't get released in other cinemas either.
    2. Don't know.
    3. Don't know.
    4. Don't know.
    5. I think so.
    6. Not answering that.
    7. Don't know.

I think you should blame whatever company is releasing this. I saw it in HK over the summer, not worth the money I paid, there was no story line and was drawn out, but that's just my opinion.

[EDIT]Oh, and Andy Lau is a crap actor, he should stick with his singing[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Thanks. You've somewhat eased my emotional stress. Ah well, off to see Lemony Snicket again......

Geranium wrote:
    Thanks. You've somewhat eased my emotional stress. Ah well, off to see Lemony Snicket again......
    Is that any good? From what I saw in the adverts, it seemed to be a really awful movie.

I just saw it today. It was surprisingly good. The costumes/sets are brilliant. Visually it's a treat and there are quite a few good laughs. Another good thing is that Jim Carrey didn.t try to be as wacky as possible which was a relief. Plus the kids acting was good. Especially when compared to Harry Potter. Worth a looksee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Got House of Flying Daggers on DVD from CD-Wow a while ago. While its not as good as Hero it is still miles ahead of most of the dross served up in the mainstream cinema here.

Didn't think it was as bad as Demeant0r thought it was. Plus it has Ziyi Zhang :D

• Advertisement

Zhang Ziyi seems to be in every movie that director's(whatever his name is) movies. I think there's favouritism going on :D.
    Plus that last fight, no one won because they both died, crappy way to end it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Maybe it was held back so it could be edited like hell and dubbed just like with Shaolin Soccer? Dear God I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

House of flying daggers will be out but like Hero it will be shown at least a month later here than it was in the UK..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Yeah, I saw it a while back. A friend saw it too and she thought it was better than hero. I feel the same. The action sequences are not as good but hell the story is better and so it balances itself out. Still doesn't match Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for drama though.

If you've seen Hero this film won't be as impressive. If you've not seen Hero then the cinematography will blow you away as will the acting and action.
    Demeant0r wrote:
    Plus that last fight, no one won because they both died, crappy way to end it
    Isn't that part of the philosophy of the story. The tragedy of blind allegiance. This story wasn't about who wins out in the end. Same as Hero.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

House of Flying daggers is most certainly *NOT* a "watch-more-than-once-able" film.

Really rather contrived, formulaic in its construction and execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

CuLT wrote:
    House of Flying daggers is most certainly *NOT* a "watch-more-than-once-able" film.

Really rather contrived, formulaic in its construction and execution.

That can be said about any wuxia movie, it's a particular style in and of itself with a certain type of performance that is a bit cliche'd/hammy.
    I liked HOFD more than Hero, i've had it on dvd for a while but i'll definitely go and see it in the cinema when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I liked it, not as much as hero but more than crouching tiger. Am I the only one that thinks thats a load of crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

bush wrote:
    I liked it, not as much as hero but more than crouching tiger. Am I the only one that thinks thats a load of crap?

Come on.I liked Hero but it wasn't a patch on CTHD.
    The story for Hero was far too weak,its was just one
    fight scene after another and there was absolutely
    no emotional connection to the characters.Also I thought
    the director was trying far too hard."Oh what shall we do
    now,well we need a fight scene in Water,a fight scene
    in a desert,and of course in the forest with leaves and
    Zhang Ziyi's hair blowing in the wind".Hero looked great
    but that's all.CTHD was a far superior movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I thought HOFD was the weakest of the 3 movies and is not a watch more than once movie imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

its ****e, all the hype for nothing. Visually amazing but no real story.

Why is zhangziyi in zhangyimou's movies? Because she slept with him. Its common fact in China. She is referred to as xiaogongli, referring to the actress who zhangyimou also had an afair with gong li, xiao meaning little - Little gong li. This is why zhangziyi got her break so to speak, he spotted her, and made her a star.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

original poster: Heard today from my friend who works in UGC that HOFD will be out in feb. There were distribution problems and it's VERY late getting to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Anyone have any update on when this film is coming out?

davej

The ugc magazine Unlimited had a date in it. I think it was either the 18th or 25th of Feb. I'll ask my friend who works in the ugc tomorrow. She might know a definate date. I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention....damn my crappy short term memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

It will also be shown at the Jameson Film Festival, but if I remember correctly at 1.30 pm on a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

dsab wrote:
    It will also be shown at the Jameson Film Festival, but if I remember correctly at 1.30 pm on a Sunday.
    Sunday 13th February
    10:30am Savoy 1

(From http://www.dubliniff.com/films_film.asp?id=22)

Having read some stunningly positive reviews (and having already enjoyed Hero), I saw HOFD on DVD recently and felt slightly underwhelmed.

Similar visual style to Hero (though a little less colourful) and some very memorable scenes. However, the action seemed much more spread out than Hero and the story wasn't really enough to fill in the gaps.

Still well worth watching though - just not the cinematic masterpiece some of the reviews were claiming.

For those who would like to know HOFD is now set to be shown in the UGC from the 11th March as there have been yet more problems with it

So what the hell is going on with it now? I really wan to see this film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

So what the hell is going on with it now? I really wan to see this film!

I suggest you just buy it from cdwow Hong Kong.You can get the 2disc special addition for about €14;

http://www2.cd-wow.com.hk/detail_results_2.php?product_code=14430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

i'm going to see it tonight in the ugc! The sunday times was giving out vouchers for 2 free tickets.

This is a film i really want to see and now i get to see it for free! :D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Energizer wrote:
    i'm going to see it tonight in the ugc! The sunday times was giving out vouchers for 2 free tickets.
    That'll teach me to read the damn paper next time....

Did it say when it's on general release?

Wowee. I really must check the Film forum more often. Thanks to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Brilliant movie! The movement in the fight scenes was fantastic.

The only problem with the movie is the ending, its to long and corny also it leaves to many questions unanswered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

it's out this friday :D

• Advertisement

AWWWWW YEAH!

Finally got to see it today and it was sweet ass. Not as epic a story line as Hero and much more focused on the romantic plot. They both had their good points so I'm not sure which I prefered. The biggest difference though was the level of blood. Whereas in Hero a) fighters weren't wounded as much and b) when they were there was little to no blood, in House Of Flying Daggers
    part of the last scene is based on how viceral it is when the two men just keep chopping into each other until your left with a ring of blood soaked snow around them.
    As with Hero colour was used quite overtly, only less so.

9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

gandalf wrote:
    Got House of Flying Daggers on DVD from CD-Wow a while ago. While its not as good as Hero it is still miles ahead of most of the dross served up in the mainstream cinema here.

Didn't think it was as bad as Demeant0r thought it was. Plus it has Ziyi Zhang :D

Seen hero, thought it was visually brilliant. The story was rubbish. They seem to be jumping on the band wagon of crouching tiger hidden dragon. As of Ziyi Zhang......meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoow ! - anyone got her phone number :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought it was a load of melodramatic arse piddle with below par fight scenes with a weak and barely believable romantic storyline. If I see another slow motion horse ride with that bloody music playing over it I will go insane.

Advertisement