Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Calculator

Options
  • 31-12-2004 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

found this online VRT calculator for importing cars. it is handy to have and use in conjunction with robertr's sticky above!!

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

bit late mate, was posted here few months back, cheers for the tip tho ;)

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Its also mighty handy for pricing what the Revenue Commissioners would value any prospective purchase at - you can judge whether the price you are being asked for is reasonable. From recent experience, the values seem very close to book value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hey Dilbert75,

When you say 'book value' do you mean the price guide book used by dealers ?
    (i.e. trade-in values?)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They actually seem to be higher prices on this site than what the actually give you for the motor.
    It makes sense the higher their book price the higher price they can ask you to pay for VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

That calculator is a pile of kak.
    I went in with a printed sheet for a Nissan 300zxtt (that said it was 692 euro or so), that I got from UK, and when I went to their office they quoted me 1218 euro, and wouldnt budge. They would not consider mileage/condition/ or anything else. They go by what pops up on their screnn....so if I was you import a 94 Supra tt, cos afaik the vrt is 700 euro...

• Advertisement

I recently got prices on two different cars, each 01 & 02 (Zafira and Multipla) from dealers, straight out of the book. Each price was within maybe E200 of what the OMSP calculated on that site.

Actually, scratch that. It today predicted a 01 Seat Alhambra TDi 90bhp Stella would be around €17.5k - a dealer in South Ulster selling one was asking over €22k. Someone's out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Actually, scratch that. It today predicted a 01 Seat Alhambra TDi 90bhp Stella would be around €17.5k - a dealer in South Ulster selling one was asking over €22k. Someone's out of touch.

All the better if the vrt calculator is using lower prices - less vrt to pay......that is if it's the same when you actually go to pay for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Just paid the VRT on my import today. It was the exact same figure as quoted on the online VRT calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ive calculated a 94 300 zx and the vrt is 1700 euro. so ur quote of 1200 or so seems right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Everytime i enter a car it comes up cannot be found on list.i entered a 96 bmw 316 any ideas whats wrong

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Everytime i enter a car it comes up cannot be found on list.i entered a 96 bmw 316 any ideas whats wrong
    I got various rates of about a grand on a Feb 1996 regd 316i with 4 doors and variable mileage. Did you try choosing an E30 or E46 model by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I can't work it out fot a 95 1.4 golf but it finds a value for all sorts of Mr2's no problem. POS to be honest. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

it doesnt come up like that its comes up for me model= All versions ?its actually all cars i tried.Screen shot uploaded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Outta curiousity I wanted to see how much it would cost to bring an M5 into the country.
    '03 BMW M5, 5ltr, 20k miles.........€20,203!!! - that is mental....

An '04 Merc S 55 L AMG is over €45,000...ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

personally i can see both sides of the coin with vrt. no one forces u to buy a new car. if u could afford an s55amg brand new u could easily afford the vrt.
    in other words its discretionary,
    people who dont want to pay dont have to.
    id rather this than 1% or 2% on income taxes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lomb wrote:
    if u could afford an s55amg brand new u could easily afford the vrt.
    True but the main argument against VRT is that it is an unfair, anti-competitive tax.
    As Fletch mentioned, to bring in a large powerful car you need to pay over twenty grand. The Euro zone was introduced to help standardise prices. Keeping prices artificially high is not in the spirit of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    what do u think about vrt today on a say a 95 s600. its only 2000 euro. i think i know where my money would be going and it wouldnt be on a new car. sure anyone can afford to drive an s600 at these prices. ok it will cost an extre 1000 euro tax and 1500 euro fuel and 1000 insurance but come on u have no depreciation so that cancels all these out.

which would u rather a 95 s600 or a new corolla?

Ssssshhhhht :(

Don't tell anyone!!!!!!

Advertisement