Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with pronouncing star names?

Options
  • 01-01-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any place online that helps to pronounce some of the common hard to pronounce star names, ie Procyon and Alnilam.... ?

I really would like to hear these voiced so to speak. :D Any ideas? Please please!! :confused:

I went out with the laptop tonight and did some star spotting. It was great - no wind... not cold at all. I could spend the night out there! :) Two things stopped me... i) rain clouds covering most of the sky after 45 mins and ii) the laptop battery went dead after 1 hour... oh well.

To make up for it, I saw a streak of long yellow trail of a metorite for about 1-2 seconds facing roughly due north. Pretty amazing.... the burning streak was very yellow! It was about the length of 4 diameters of the moon.

I still can't see the Comet Machholz yet... I know where it is but... :rolleyes: Hopefully get to see it soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Well... one quick google leads me here.... http://www.wsanford.com/~wsanford/exo/pronunciation_guide.html

but if you know of any cool ones... I love to hear it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was out looking at the comet tonight. It is really moving fast. It is now out to the right of the Hyades. There is a bright star out to the right of the Hyades and it is further to the right of that again. It is near another bright star. There is a pair of stars out to the right of it again. I had the first look at it with my telescope. It was very hazy and you could just see the core. Not the most impressive comet I've seen it has to be said.

Advertisement