Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food for thought?

• 24-04-2001 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Imagine that you, the reader, are the only truly consciously thinking person in existance. You have free thought, free will and knowledge of your own existance. Everybody else however, is part of an entire universe that was created for you. You live in an existance where there are incredibly complex rules and structures. There is space and time, atoms and molecules, electricity, philosophy, religion and art. But all of it, every molecule, if there really is such a thing, is part of an elaborate test. Imagine that every religion in existance, every philosophy, every idea, every person is part of an intricate illusion. They are an elaborate creation to see your reaction. The entire universe as you know it is a test created by an omnipotent being, a god if that is perhaps an easier explaination for you to grasp.Other humans don’t have thoughts of their own, they are merely ‘things’ that are part of this elaborate test. To those that know what it is, it might be akin to living in a hologram world, but more complex.

It might be easy to dismiss this as ridiculous, that an entire universe created around just you is self-centered maybe? However I ask you to think about it. How better to disguise such an elaborate test than to make it as complex as the universe. You would never expect such a thing to be true, yet would it not be infinitely easy for an omnipotent being? Then, there is this. A message for you, telling you the nature of the universe? It is easy to dismiss of course, but then that might be part of the test. You have absolutely no way to know. You cant possibly know if someone else really and truly has a mind of their own, so is it really all that wise to dismiss this possibility, or is it just arrogant?

You might also ask, what test? Why a test? Perhaps your conclusions on this matter are also a test? That every single thing that you do, say or think is all measured, right up until that final moment when you die, and you finally know the truth. That might be correct if “to know” is really an accurate description. After death existance might be on a completely different plane to what you know. There are no rules, no space, no gravity, no senses, no thought and no real knowledge of existance as you currently experience it. I am not talking about some religious fantasy of heaven of hell, I am merely talking about an existance that may be different.

On the other hand, it might not be different at all. It may be just the same, with the small difference that it is real. Perhaps there are millions of people in one of these “false” universes that you are in, and that when you all die, your decisions in that “fake” universe govern which “real” universe you enter.

There are many possibilities, and it is not my job to tell you which is real. I am merely raising your awareness of another possibility.
    Dismiss this as ridiculous if you will, but maybe, just maybe that is exactly what you, as the sole being in this existance, were expected to do?

This really isnt to spark a debate. There is no point in one. It is simply a demonstration of the possibilities of speculation on something with absolutely zero knowledge, and the folly of a closed mind. Its not my belief. I doubt its anyones, but then, why not? And yes, I was bored today smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I like this new religion. Where do I send my money to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

I will have whatever that gentleman is smoking!!!

Thats very true, im sure every in/sane like you and me have thought of it that idea that everyone around you is just a figment of somone's imagination, but after a while, the real life smacks you on the head and you realise where youre living.

But, on a serious note, I will have whatever youre smoking. smile.gif

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

reminds me of an episode of startrek...next gen........ very similar actually wink.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Gerry

Anyone with a smidgen of intelligence has thought that at sometime, some people more than others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You die. Blackness, nothingniess. Suddenly letters start to form in front of you.

You died! Play Again or Exit?

Another idea. Everybody lives to a ripe old age. If you die young you just switch to another plane of existence where you didn't die and carry on ignorant of your death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

You could just say I'm not playing and kill ourselve ... test the god.

You never mention what the prize was for passing this test so I'm going to an arrogant unbelieve and spread the news YOUR A FAKE.

of course that could all be part of the test.....

Is that the music to the twilight zone I hear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

If I am the only thing to truly exist, I can ignore anything against my opinions. Excellent.

And God said to Adam: 'I am root, FOO.'

It rained in San Francisco Wednesday evening, but the penguins were
    still there Thursday morning, smiling broadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Of course that could be part of the test.

In terms of credibility it is a flawless theory. Any rebuke that is made is answered with "ah, but maybe thats all part of the test".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paladin:
    Of course that could be part of the test.
    In terms of credibility it is a flawless theory. Any rebuke that is made is answered with "ah, but maybe thats all part of the test".
    </font>
    Is this REALLY a test? :.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

[Obe-wan-Kanobe voice]
    Would you believe me no matter which answer I gave you? The answer is inside of you.
    [/Obe-wan-Kanobe voice]
    smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:
    reminds me of an episode of startrek...next gen........ very similar actually wink.gif

</font>
    I was going to say that.

I have thought at length about this andI have come to the following conclusion:
    It doesn't matter.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people.

[This message has been edited by DrunkLeprachaun (edited 25-04-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

As with very many theories however its uses are limited,maybe even non-existant.
    I couldn't be bothered thinking any more.
    All I can think about is how to get tribes 2 to work.This game and its bug are truly some form of test from above :/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

i thought of that when i was about 4, so far the results are inconclusive, you lot may or may not be intelligent beings, i havent decided yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:

</font>
    i was thinking the same thing myslef ...
    however .. what if the test is to see if you have to potential to become a omnipotent being . so if you pass you get to create your own little universe, if you fail , u come back ar one of the gimps in someone else's universe !!!

just a thought ....
    man i need coffee biggrin.gif

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"Hmmm, my own little universe... Where do I sign?"

Another classy big talking cult eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement