Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shíte New Year?

• 01-01-2005 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Why do people feel the need to celebrate the new year? Personally, i didn't do a thing last night.. Ya know why, because it's just another day!!

It's just a reason for the world to have a píss up as usual, i didn't even realise it was midnight last night until i switched over the channel to see the countdown.. Then once it struck midnight i heard all the knacker scumbags outside celebrating and setting off fireworks.. and at that moment, all i could think of was the 125,000 dead people in South East Asia.. and i realized, even if i had of gone out to celebrate, i would of just felt immense guilt, why the fúck should i be allowed celebrate the minute hand changing on a clock when all these people are suffering, having lost their homes, their jobs, and in a lot of cases, there whole fúcking family..

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

yeah, ok, put your life on hold then. good man. theres nothing you can do (besides donating a few quid through unicef) about it, so move on! I see new year as an oppertunity for family and friends to gather, and celebrate a new year, start as you mean to go on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Twas a bit miserable all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

newband wrote:
    Then once it struck midnight i heard all the knacker scumbags outside celebrating and setting off fireworks..
    Yeah I heard that too... infact the fkcing things woke me up... on the dot of midnight - BOOOM - BANG - WIZZZZZ - POP - for a good 20 minutes... I thought we were finished with this fireworks shíte when halloween was over.
    What's with the fireworks on newyears eve/day anyway, when did this become the ritual?
    Yes, I had planned to sleep right through the year changeover... but instead I've been up since midnight on account of the any-excuse-to-get-pissed-and-make-lots-of-noise brigade.
    It's a poxy anti-climax anyway... count down to zero, then nothing happens, whoo-te-fking-doo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

town was very quiet, as the club i went too... rather crap night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Arrived home from work at about 11.50, had time to put a load of washing into the tumble dryer and another load into the washing machine, crack open a bottle of beer and still witness the farce that was the RTE New Year's countdown.

I've never seen anything so forced since my days in Primary School Nativity plays. And as for the pre-recording? Robbie Keane in Dublin at midnight, with Spurs due to play at WHL at 3 today? Does anyone at RTE even attempt to make it believable?

Flicked over to the Beeb to see the rather spectacular fireworks display at the London Eye, that cheered me up. Then flicked to ITV News to see more updates on the Asia disaster, and was back on a downer. :(

• Advertisement

And as for the pre-recording?
    Oh yeah I forgot about that, shame I missed it.
    D'you think they'll repeat it? :)
    It'd make just about as much sense as playing a pre-recorded one on the night... I just can't get my head around the logic of it at all.
    I may aswell stick on a Forest Gump DVD as watch a pre-recorded countdown... my mind is boggling, so I'll occupy myself in another thread before my brain leaks out my ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree that New Year is a load of bollox and there is even less to be celebrating this year with the disaster in Asia.

Also, 3 people killed on Irish roads already in 2005. Good start to the year eh :rolleyes:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0101/fatal.html

BrianD3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Why the hell cant ye all just lighten up? Many people enjoy having fun, but if ye dont, whats the point in whingeing about it? Why begrudge people having a good time and why hold it against them if they do?

And as for the asia disaster, what will be achieved by moping around being depressed at something thats COMPLETELY out of your control? In the pub where i was working (yet still having a good time) there was a big collection and a lot of money was raised. Now if your feeling so guilty why not volunteer or something, do something about it instead of sitting around ''how dare people have fun when they should be at home feeling guilty about something they couldnt prevent''. I would imagine many of the ''skangers'' wouldnt even have heard of it, whether thats right or wrong, again its out of your hands so get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 utilitarian

Dudes, you shouldn't expect anything from the new year, as you are all saying, it is just another day. And indeed you are not expecting anything. However, something is bothering you, because i am sure that the amount of celebrating that was going on some other night of the year before as well, but becasue you are all so painfully aware that this is the new year then it nearly hurts that other people are celebrating when you are not...

Is there any special day in your life? ANY day at all? In your whole existance is there anything in your life that you would like to think about year after year? Well if so and if you do, this is the same as what other people do in the new year... you just do not happen to agree that it is worth celebrating about, but you shouldn't be asking "why do people celebrae the new year", people party about stuff because we are social beings by nature.

This doesn't mean by the way that i disagree with you all, for example, stick the fire crackers up the cracks of the thick morons that were shooting them off last night.

My point is that i have heard it said, grumbled and complained about, "oh great, new year, crap celebrations". Like what are you complaining about. So what that RTE had coverage last night, so what that Robbie Keane wasn't really there at that time, why should it disapoint you or even make you think. If it does, then i suggest that you were infact looking forward, or hoping to get something from christmas.

For example, lets say that you hear that Daniel O Donnell was going to have a party at his house and that his mother showed up wearing the same dress as his wife, would this in any way interest you or would you show any concern about this. No, why? Becasue you really do not give a crap about Daniel O Donnell and his sick family relationships. Why then do you care to go as far as writing about the new year celebrations? I think, becasue you were expecting some happiness somehow, and you did not get it.

As to the earth quake disaster, that is well, a disaster. However, life does go on, and if it does bother you, there are numbers you can call to donate money. There is no end to what you can do, I heard about this 12 year old kid in america who personally collected 45,000 dollars for the poor in Africa. This issue is alot more personal however and who am i to suggect any relief to your conscions.

Until then, happy new year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't like new years eve in Ireland at all. It's just about drinking and getting into rows. Don't think i've ever had an enjoyable new years eve here, apart from last night when I sat in with a few mates and a supply of beer, watching Jools Holland and 'see no evil hear no evil'!

Next year hopefully i'll be at the Edinburgh Hogmanay - http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i agree with the poster,
    just another day, what the hell is all this celebration for, a NEW year ?
    wow, 2005. welcome to the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

We exist on a rock that's hurtling through space, avoiding other large rocks. Our rock can be quite volatile itself as we have seen in recent days. The fact that we have survived and grown is something to celebrate and give thanks for.

New years day is a way of marking a milestone, just like a birthday. A new year can bring new hope and inspiration for some, can make people examine their deeds and actions of the previous 12 months and make them consider what they want to change in the next 12 months.

The fact that the world is so fragile and brutal and we are alive is something to celebrate. Life is far too short and people don't rejoice enough about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

in that case, lets celebrate every single day of our lives !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Couldnt agree more, think its your round there placebo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

SantaHoe wrote:
    It's a poxy anti-climax anyway... count down to zero, then nothing happens, whoo-te-fking-doo.

Yeah that sums it up well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    It's just a reason for the world to have a píss up as usual

EXACTLY!!!

Now where's the problem!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why are u complainin? i didnt see any threads started about how u didnt celebrate xmas coz it was just another day! do u go ever go out at all? coz if u do, whenever u go out is just another day. new years has more significance than any "normal" day. its tradition that its celebrated. quit whingin! as for mentionin the asia disaster; now ur just lookin for excuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

The_B_Man wrote:
    why are u complainin? i didnt see any threads started about how u didnt celebrate xmas coz it was just another day! do u go ever go out at all? coz if u do, whenever u go out is just another day. new years has more significance than any "normal" day. its tradition that its celebrated. quit whingin! as for mentionin the asia disaster; now ur just lookin for excuses!

well xmas is just another day,, a pretty ****in boring one at that! looking for excuses for what exactly?

Personally, I don't see my mates at home when I'm in college (we're all split up all over Dublin), so I love this time of year just because I get to spend it with my mates.

So Christmas Eve is one of my favourite times of the year - Christmas Day itself isn't the best. But last night was good fun. (house party)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Myself and a group of my friends went out for a meal last night.
    Very enjoyable but after the meal the night degenerated into disaster.
    The pubs were deserted ,people were drunk and talking drivel and I couldnt wait to get home.
    Struck me hard that this country is a drink fuelled nation and I am going back to the States as soon as possible to work and escape this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    well xmas is just another day,, a pretty ****in boring one at that! looking for excuses for what exactly?
    Boy! You must have a ****ing boring life, do you ever look forward to anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

I ended up in the sack with my sisters best friend last night. She's 10 years older than me too. In great nick for a 37 year old.
    I'd call that a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

New years is the last opportunity for people to get together before they all go back to the humdrum of normal daily life. before they all go back to where ever it is they work or study.

I had a good new year eve this year, and a good one last year, although I do recall that every single one before that there was some sort of disturbance at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Went to see the Frames in Vicar St... biggest load of ****e i have ever seen or heard..

Demeant0r wrote:
    Boy! You must have a ****ing boring life, do you ever look forward to anything?

wow, you're some muppet ain't ya to make assumptions about other people lives :rolleyes:

What the fúck is there to look forward to about new years!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Easter is just as important religiously as Christmas, but theres not as much emphasis on it commercially or otherwise.... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Placebo wrote:
    in that case, lets celebrate every single day of our lives !

That's the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ColHol wrote:
    And as for the asia disaster, what will be achieved by moping around being depressed at something thats COMPLETELY out of your control? In the pub where i was working (yet still having a good time) there was a big collection and a lot of money was raised. Now if your feeling so guilty why not volunteer or something, do something about it instead of sitting around ''how dare people have fun when they should be at home feeling guilty about something they couldnt prevent''. I would imagine many of the ''skangers'' wouldnt even have heard of it, whether thats right or wrong, again its out of your hands so get over it

Completely agree with you Col. There is no reason anyone should feel guilty about celebrating. Feeling bad will not help anyone, only depress you. Guilt is what you feel after you've done, or haven't done, something so unless you played some part in causing the earthquake and tsunamis there is no cause for you to feel guilt. There is so much suffering in the world it is only right that we should spread a little happiness :D

The_B_Man wrote:
    why are u complainin? i didnt see any threads started about how u didnt celebrate xmas coz it was just another day!
    There was one on the Cukoos Nest board.
    So what that RTE had coverage last night, so what that Robbie Keane wasn't really there at that time, why should it disapoint you or even make you think.
    I'm not dissapointed as such, more confused as to what kind of excitement a pre-recorded show is supposed to offer when matched with a realtime event, it just seems like a cruel joke.... looking at the BBC's live offering for the same event kind of puts it in perspective.
    If it does, then i suggest that you were infact looking forward, or hoping to get something from christmas.
    Spare me the armchair psychology, you don't know anything about me.
    I've nothing against people going out and getting gee-eyed whenever it takes their fancy, just as long as I don't have to listen to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    Why do people feel the need to celebrate the new year?Ya know why, because it's just another day!!
    all i could think of was the 125,000 dead people in South East Asia.. and i realized, even if i had of gone out to celebrate, i would of just felt immense guilt, why the fúck should i be allowed celebrate the minute hand changing on a clock when all these people are suffering, having lost their homes, their jobs, and in a lot of cases, there whole fúcking family..
    :(
    ya lyin b*st*rd :D ... what was it ya were sayin during that 9/11 terorist thing?
    i think it was something like
    HAHAHAHAHAHA :D WHY DIDNT THEY HIT THE WHITE HOUSE
    dont pretend to have a conscience... :p *

*(mods, please dont send this to the 'dome)

PunK05 wrote:
    ya lyin b*st*rd :D ... what was it ya were sayin during that 9/11 terorist thing?

i think it was you who said that first... but why didn't they :confused: it would have made sooo much more sense.. the stupid **** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    i think it was you who said that first... but why didn't they :confused: it would have made sooo much more sense.. the stupid **** :rolleyes:

simple , because the white house hasn't got as much significance as the world trade centre or the pentagon. The white house is just what it says..... a house. The twin towers where the centre of the econamy for america and knocking them down can cause rupture in america , as it did.

you sir are an idiot.

now back on topic,

As many have said , it is just a piss up but for me it was a time to get together with friends i havent seen in a long time due to work and college etc.

Shazbot wrote:
    simple , because the white house hasn't got as much significance as the world trade centre or the pentagon. The white house is just what it says..... a house. The twin towers where the centre of the econamy for america and knocking them down can cause rupture in america , as it did.

you sir are an idiot.

now back on topic,

As many have said , it is just a piss up but for me it was a time to get together with friends i havent seen in a long time due to work and college etc.

Thank you for agreeing with me,, as i said it's just an excuse to have a piss up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well its a good enough excuse to go out celibrate with your friends as any ? personally i dont see any reason why x-mass is the biggest day of the year and weeks go into the planning of it . seeing somthn like cebibrating the ending of a new year and the begining of the next with some of your friends thanking the fact that ye are still alive is pritty good compaired to what some 2005 year old dead guy done

no one needs a excuse to go out and have fun .. but its always nice to have a day off work . so i welcome the new years day with open arms and if the goverment want to make more like it ill welcome them 2

elexes wrote:
    seeing somthn like cebibrating the ending of a new year and the begining of the next with some of your friends thanking the fact that ye are still alive is pritty good compaired to what some 2005 year old dead guy done

that's all well and good, but you can apply that to any situation, why not celebrate the end of the month, or day, or tax year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

wel i celebrate all of them, dive bomb. i celebrate the end of december, end of dec 31st and, well, isnt the tax year jan to dec?

nope

Advertisement